Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Royal Enfield Interceptor

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    This thread is not about you numbnuts so please try to stay on topic will you..
    From the biggest post whore troll around that is fucking classic.

Saw a nice RE heading south out of Dunedin last week. Not sure whether it was you SD. If so, nice man bag over your shoulder.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    ... Mrs Scummy could do with a lower seat or thicker soled shoes as she can't get her feet flat on the ground.
    Find a good upholsterer to reduce a bit of the front bit of the seat cushion, Done properly ... only you two would know it's been altered. It may surprise you how little needs removed.

And its been a few years since I had a motorcycle that I could flat-foot when stopped.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries
    My guess is the KTM will be better than the Himalayan for your 'adventure rides'.
    I suspect you are right, though a fairly important consideration for me will be what the mrs wants to get, she is interested in the same bikes. I won't completely discount the Himalayan as there is a lot to say for tractor like power for the newbie to adventure riders like her. If she goes for that, I may follow suit just so we on the same page. I will admit to hoping she likes the perky KTM power delivery. I like the look of the power to ratio rate of the ktm. Even if she goes Himalayan, i just need to remind myself there is always the KX500 2 smoker in the garage if I want perky power lol.
    Wait, stop press! there is a new adventure bike contender - the Harley Road king!
    https://www.rideapart.com/news/48572...king-off-road/
    Props to that guy!

I'm impressed with the build of the interceptor, Royal Enfield are really making some moves, stealing all the right engineers for fuel injection and so on. To my mind, they just look like a motorcycle should, and go bloody well too by all accounts. I know Harris designed the frame for the 650 GT, does anyone know if the interceptor frame was designed by Harris too?

I'm sure you will really enjoy your new bike Scumdog, you may need to keep a eye on the wife's bike though, the km's might be mysteriously going up on it while you are in convalescing mode!

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post

Saw a nice RE heading south out of Dunedin last week. Not sure whether it was you SD. If so, nice man bag over your shoulder.
    I get banned for that? Classic. Bonehead adds nothing to KB other than ADV reposts and 1980's computing shit which I covered off at primary school. What a snowflake for running off to Connie and complaining.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by sugilite View Post
    I suspect you are right, though a fairly important consideration for me will be what the mrs wants to get, she is interested in the same bikes. I won't completely discount the Himalayan as there is a lot to say for tractor like power for the newbie to adventure riders like her. If she goes for that, I may follow suit just so we on the same page. I will admit to hoping she likes the perky KTM power delivery. I like the look of the power to ratio rate of the ktm. Even if she goes Himalayan, i just need to remind myself there is always the KX500 2 smoker in the garage if I want perky power lol.
    Wait, stop press! there is a new adventure bike contender - the Harley Road king!
    https://www.rideapart.com/news/48572...king-off-road/
    Props to that guy!

I'm impressed with the build of the interceptor, Royal Enfield are really making some moves, stealing all the right engineers for fuel injection and so on. To my mind, they just look like a motorcycle should, and go bloody well too by all accounts. I know Harris designed the frame for the 650 GT, does anyone know if the interceptor frame was designed by Harris too?

I'm sure you will really enjoy your new bike Scumdog, you may need to keep a eye on the wife's bike though, the km's might be mysteriously going up on it while you are in convalescing mode!
    The Continental GT and Interceptor share the same frame etc - it seems to be just the bars, tank and foot controls that are any different.

Turned down the GT after a test ride as the rear-sets were awkward for me with the way my knees are.
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post

If it was Friday and if the 'man bag' was an ex-army bag then it could have been me, we headed home via GI and Brighton to Taieri Mouth and Waihola.
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........

Bike

Burt Munro

We headed off to ‘the Burt’ on Thursday, good ride but got a wet arse the last 40km into Invercargill, saw one other Interceptor (had an L plate on it).
    The weather picked up on Thursday night and we enjoyed all the racing, sadly missed seeing the big bore (865cc) RE in action as the beach racing and drag racing times overlapped.
    Saw another Interceptor in the pits at the street racing, owned by a lady from Dunedin apparently.
    Our Interceptors? Performed flawlessly, they handle quite nimbly -enough for me to avoid running over a wet cast iron manhole cover part way around a roundabout.
    They seem to have enough grunt to accelerate swiftly enough in 6th gear to overtake - if there’s a reasonable lack of oncoming traffic.
    Comfort wise they’re ok for a naked bike ( missed the screen and fairing of the Electraglide on Thursday afternoon) and even though the seats are firm I found I didn’t feel the need to stop for a leg stretch on the way home (CB did at Clinton!)
    All in all we’re quite enjoying these bikes.

Bike
    We filled both bikes during the weekend after a 130km trip and the total amount of fuel to fill them was 5.6 litres, from that they seem fairly thrifty eh?

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    The Continental GT and Interceptor share the same frame etc - it seems to be just the bars, tank and foot controls that are any different.

Turned down the GT after a test ride as the rear-sets were awkward for me with the way my knees are.
    They are testing 3 'new' bikes in India (mules) 2 new cruisers and a 'new' bullet/classic all powered with the 650 donk.
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    My little bro and dad mentioned last week over the dog n bone Freedom Motorcycles on Karamu road in Hastings had the range of RE650s in stock. I popped on olver there on Darky yesterday to have a gander and test ride if possible as I am very interested in them, They have the similar power output as my 76 CB550F and XF650 at ariound 50hp and similar diamentions ,weight and ground clearance to the CB550 when it was produced back in 1976.

Went on a 40km or so test ride on the Interceptor. Very impressed. Nimble, very very quiet, stable at speed and suited my 6' lanky frame comfortably. Having 50hp it is definately fine for all day riding pver hill and dale outside city limits. Down side is you wont be doing 170kph everywhere and falling in to ditches. That's fine by me. Would I own one? Definitely YES.

Very economical at 65-70mpg, per imperial gallon of go juice. My CB550 only gets 47mpg riding in the 100-115kph range. My '98XF650 gets similar milage as the RE650 twins.

Things I would have done before leaving the show room floor:-

Have lower handle bars fitted. About 2" rise and more pull back. After market "Super bike" handle bars will do the job nicely. Despose of the brace on the handle bars. It is definitely is not needed.

Replace the mirrors with larger diameter chome ones similar to the GB400 ones fitted to the CB550.

I found the instruments too far down and would have them altered and rised to where the Continental ones are. Basily level or a bit higher than the top triple tee.

I do like the Continental tank shapecom,pared to the Interceptors. It's kind of Moto Guzzi La'Mansish.

I had a good look at the Continental rear sets and I don't think they'll be that bad at all. They're in a similar position to my old Honda CB750FD2 which I found very comfortable.

Good choice Mr and Mrs Scumdog.

A couple of links RE650 twin owners might find handy:-

Unofficial RE support forum with RE650 maintenace manual link. Himalaya workshop manual link is further down,

https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/...cs5&board=30.0

Illistrated part brakedown for RE650 twins.

Ride safe everyone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0041.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	315.5 KB 
ID:	348690  

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    My little bro and dad mentioned last week over the dog n bone Freedom Motorcycles on Karamu road in Hastings had the range of RE650s in stock. I popped on olver there on Darky yesterday to have a gander and test ride if possible as I am very interested in them, They have the similar power output as my 76 CB550F and XF650 at ariound 50hp and similar diamentions ,weight and ground clearance to the CB550 when it was produced back in 1976.

Went on a 40km or so test ride on the Interceptor. Very impressed. Nimble, very very quiet, stable at speed and suited my 6' lanky frame comfortably. Having 50hp it is definately fine for all day riding pver hill and dale outside city limits. Down side is you wont be doing 170kph everywhere and falling in to ditches. That's fine by me. Would I own one? Definitely YES.

Very economical at 65-70mpg, per imperial gallon of go juice. My CB550 only gets 47mpg riding in the 100-115kph range. My '98XF650 gets similar milage as the RE650 twins.

Things I would have done before leaving the show room floor:-

Have lower handle bars fitted. About 2" rise and more pull back. After market "Super bike" handle bars will do the job nicely. Despose of the brace on the handle bars. It is definitely is not needed.

Replace the mirrors with larger diameter chome ones similar to the GB400 ones fitted to the CB550.

I found the instruments too far down and would have them altered and rised to where the Continental ones are. Basily level or a bit higher than the top triple tee.

I do like the Continental tank shapecom,pared to the Interceptors. It's kind of Moto Guzzi La'Mansish.

I had a good look at the Continental rear sets and I don't think they'll be that bad at all. They're in a similar position to my old Honda CB750FD2 which I found very comfortable.

Good choice Mr and Mrs Scumdog.

A couple of links RE650 twin owners might find handy:-

Unofficial RE support forum with RE650 maintenace manual link. Himalaya workshop manual link is further down,

Illistrated part brakedown for RE650 twins.

Ride safe everyone.

A good write-up/assessment!

Yet to be disappointed with my Interceptor, having said that two hours has been the longest I've ridden it for, was quite happy with the riding position and seat.

Mrs SD likewise happy with hers, both pf us definitely NOT iuderwhelmed by them!

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    No worries Scumdog. It's an honest mid capacity m/c.

Thanks for quoting my post btw. It'll irritate the KB Knitting Circle Ladies no end no dought.

Bike
    Indiumph, Indian
    Hi all, looking at replacing my BMW Funduro as my hip's a bit knackered and hard to get over the seat. Anyone ridden both for a mounting comparison. The RE looks alright, not too fussed about riding at excessive speeds.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by whenu View Post
    Hi all, looking at replacing my BMW Funduro as my hip's a bit knackered and hard to get over the seat. Anyone ridden both for a mounting comparison. The RE looks alright, not too fussed about riding at excessive speeds.
    What model RE?

Bike
    Indiumph, Indian
    The Interceptor. Same or close seat height, but the Beemer has a higher pillion seat.

Thread Information