Thread: Helite Turtle Airbag Vest - experiences?

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2

Helite Turtle Airbag Vest - experiences?

Hi All

I am getting interested in this:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...le-airbag-vest

The manufacturer has a thought-provoking and fairly interesting set of user testimonials here:

https://www.helitemoto.com/testimonials/

Of course the manufacturer gets to pick and choose those, there are lots of user reviews floating around too. They're spendy but nothing like the Dainese 4-gyro system. I had been thinking of a Leatt road riding neck brace to go with my nice new Alpinestars back protector, but the Turtle would provide back / neck / chest / tailbone protection in one device and apparently be easier to wear. So...

Anyone out there got one? How has it been, any issues when riding etc?

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    The Helite rep came along to the IAM annual conference earlier this year and gave us a presentation about the jackets. All impressive stuff.

I also have a Helite jacket that I acquired in the UK some 6-7 years ago. still use it though it's a bit on the bulky side, especially when the weather warms up.

I'd go for the vest option so that you can wear it on top of any jacket of your choice. Overall though the concept is a good one and I'd highly recommend it.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Ouch - that's a grand in NZD.

Shit - throw a $70 life jacket on. Probably do the same when you crash with the bonus of keeping you afloat if you end up in the drink.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Ouch - that's a grand in NZD.

Shit - throw a $70 life jacket on. Probably do the same when you crash with the bonus of keeping you afloat if you end up in the drink.
    Yep - They're not cheap. Sadly that's one of the reasons they aren't more popular. You become accustomed to hooking yourself onto the lanyard quickly enough though it feels a bit odd when you climb off at a petrol station and try to walk away...

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Getting off a patrol bike and unplugging the Baehr intercom becomes second nature easily. I expect airbag lanyards are the same.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Getting off a patrol bike and unplugging the Baehr intercom becomes second nature easily. I expect airbag lanyards are the same.
    If you are doing it 20 times a day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Yeah, it's spendy alright. I guess it's time to post about something that happened recently... for now let's just say that there was a crash, it happened right in front of me, and I've been a witness to the post crash process as well.

It's been convincing, put it that way.

However cash is limited so I'd really like to get it right first time. And then never actually need it, but that's another story.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    If you are doing it 20 times a day.
    20?

A conservative estimate.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Right, got it, went for first ride with it. It's still day one so this isn't a long term review.

First impressions: quality product, well thought out. Also fundamentally very simple: nothing electronic, no software, updates, patches etc... it's pretty much pure mechanical. Should the worst happen: you part company with the bike, the leash attached to the bike yanks the ball, the gas cartridge deploys, presto, airbag vest with integral back protector is now wrapped around torso, chest, neck, spine, pelvis, tailbone etc. I sincerely hope that I never test that part of it.

Riding today confirmed a couple of things. It's comfy. In fact it's so comfy that it's easy to forget that it's there, leading to at least a couple of times getting off the bike before remembering to unclip the leash. I also got back on and rode off once without clipping in, before remembering and pulling over. That's purely down to the rider of course.

It also goes very nicely over existing jackets. I've shown it in the photos below over my synthetic jacket. It fits over my leathers too. There's no gear penalty; you don't have to change existing riding gear to incorporate the Turtle.

It'll sit over pockets. There's a very slight hassle getting wallet, cellphone etc out. Nothing to make a fuss over. It's also one more thing to fasten up when getting on the bike, but that is literally four push-click connectors. Zipping up the jacket takes more time.

The fire mechanism is like the firing pin on a gun: there's a spring loaded plunger held in check by the ball. That's literally it. It's got five components, these being housing, cartridge, plunger, spring, ball. The CO2 cartridge doesn't get pierced on being screwed in. It gets pierced if and only if the thing fires, ie by the ball being dragged out and the plunger released. That means that once a year, the canister can be unscrewed and placed onto a set of scales and weighed to ensure that there's still enough gas.

The mechanism can be reset by the end user in the event of a deployment: this involves unscrewing the end cap, releasing pressure on the spring, putting everything back in place, refitting the end cap and screwing in a fresh gas cartridge.

I went with the Hi-Vis option in the end. Plain black is also available. Sizing: the local agent gave me a call after I'd sent the payment through via Paypal and confirmed sizing, which was one step down from what I'd chosen via the chart. I'm very pleased that the agent did so, they turned out to be correct in what was sent.

Overall I'm already very happy I purchased it. As said earlier - I sincerely hope that it never gets used in earnest. It's there if I need it. If I do need it, a grand will have been cheap, money well spent.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2372.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	729.0 KB 
ID:	340890   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2371.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	138.2 KB 
ID:	340891   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2373.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	155.3 KB 
ID:	340889   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2374.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	764.7 KB 
ID:	340894   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2376.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	740.5 KB 
ID:	340893   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2378.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	719.5 KB 
ID:	340892  

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    It's good to see that you took the plunge and got it. I need to get a new lanyard for mine (I managed to melt the previous one - My fault) so I've been riding without mine for a while now. It feels a bit odd to be honest.

As you say it's purely mechanical so there's a pleasing simplicity to it. Also you can quite easily spend $1000 on a helmet nowadays and I class this in the same sort of bracket. Let us know how you get on with it.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2

slightly longer term review

I've been riding with the Turtle for a couple of months now and thought it was time for an update. In no particular order...

There's a couple of issues with it on the 900SS (sportsbike). The vest has a tendency to ride upwards and start bunching up under the helmet. I think that's the tailflap engaging with the rising passenger seat and pushing everything upwards. It can get a bit annoying, particularly if exposed velcro on the vest starts catching on the helmet lining. The vest wouldn't do this on a flat seat.

The other problem is that the gas canister release mechanism is inclined to rub on the fuel tank - right on the base edge of the vest cylinder. Sharp-ish edge, bad for paintwork. There's no issue with an upright position bike but a lean-forward sportsbike will bring it into contact.

It's definitely hotter riding with it on a hot day. Then again if I was prioritising comfy over ATGATT then I wouldn't be in full leathers anyway. It's surprisingly well ventilated considering coverage and will help thermally come winter time.

If I open the vest's three front clips and open the jacket while walking around, the vest will start to slide around, maybe even to the point of falling off. It's the price paid for having a vest that'll ventilate while riding.

Socially the response has been interesting. It very much depends who you are with... some see it as nerd plumage, others have ATGATT envy. There have been a couple of people being dicks and making jokes about yanking the leash. Personally I don't like the look of the tail on the thing but I do like the tailbone coverage so will live with it. Seriously, off the bike, the tail is massive, it's like a top hat and tails look.

Every single person I've discussed it with, biker or not, will point out that if I hop off the bike with the leash still on then it'll fire (yeah, maybe if I drag the bike right off its side stand...). It was annoying at first but I got used to it. Either they're ribbing me or they're trying to help - it's not abusive.

Bugs! Country road riding means bugs. They're slightly harder to sponge off than from leathers and it's another item to clean at the end of the day, albeit with not that much frontal surface area. Not a big deal really.

Windage / flapping: it doesn't, at least not at legal or sane highway speeds, or in sudden light cross winds. I haven't yet taken it on a track day or similar, or been out riding with it in high wind conditions.

Visibility: from the front I think that most sportsbike riders are better off with a visible helmet and auxiliary lights than a vest. From the rear, particularly at night, you'd have to be Stevie Wonder to not see this. Way better than black leathers and a single tail light, particularly in traffic.

And finally the leash... forgetting to clip on before riding, or forgetting to clip off when parking up. Yep it happens but it's surprising how quickly a routine forms. My own trick is to associate the leash with the gloves - gloves on, leash on / gloves off, leash off - that seems to be working so far.

Overall still very happy riding with it.

Thread Information