Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: beginner dirt trail bike

  1. #1
    Join Date
    17th December 2003 - 20:00
    Bike
    SV1000, RG500, RD350
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    1,090

    beginner dirt trail bike

    I have been riding road bikes for years although not so much if late due to work at. My 9yo recently got a PW80 which he rides around the lawn. I have been thinking he might like to try some low key trail rides. Means I should get a bike as well.
    Any suggestions for bikes up to $2.5k for 50yo old farts to pootle around tracks or the farm? Thinking of say CRF230 Hondas, DRZ250. No motocross bikes with huge maintenance costs.
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) Peace through superior firepower...
    Build your own dyno - PM me for the link of if you want to use it (bring beer)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    4th November 2003 - 13:00
    Bike
    BSA A10
    Location
    Rangiora
    Posts
    11,961
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffm View Post
    I have been riding road bikes for years although not so much if late due to work at. My 9yo recently got a PW80 which he rides around the lawn. I have been thinking he might like to try some low key trail rides. Means I should get a bike as well.
    Any suggestions for bikes up to $2.5k for 50yo old farts to pootle around tracks or the farm? Thinking of say CRF230 Hondas, DRZ250. No motocross bikes with huge maintenance costs.
    Either of those two would be good, I've ridden both and they're easy to handle, the DRZ is a bit better in the suspension and brakes, electric start is a bonus on whatever you get
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."


    Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

  3. #3
    Join Date
    23rd February 2007 - 08:47
    Bike
    Suzuki gsxr 600k7. Hayabusa K9 DRZ250 K
    Location
    CHCH
    Posts
    1,880
    Drzs are a good shout. Great bikes.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    26th July 2004 - 15:34
    Bike
    '06 Z750, '06 KDX200
    Location
    North Shore, Auckland
    Posts
    266
    If you are short in the leg, or you have others in the household who may also want to ride, there's also the CRF150F.

    Basically a sleeved-down 230, similar weight, just scaled down all over. Lower seat-height is handy if you're constantly getting on/off to pick up the PW80. Electric start from about 2006 onwards.

    It worked for us for a few years, got the wife off-road and even did #1 son for a bit - before he outgrew it and took up something else that means we never get to ride any more...
    BM-GS
    Auckland

  5. #5
    Join Date
    9th August 2005 - 19:57
    Bike
    dr650 fj1200 xr200!
    Location
    napier
    Posts
    1,096
    your bang on the money with those two options, of course there are others like the TTR250 yamaha, KLX250 kawasaki and the later XR250s (if were staying with the leccy start theme) but crf230 and drz250 are the most common and will fit your budget sweet-as.
    'the stickiest situation since sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun'

    Cpt Edmund Blackadder

  6. #6
    Join Date
    4th November 2003 - 13:00
    Bike
    BSA A10
    Location
    Rangiora
    Posts
    11,961
    Quote Originally Posted by fridayflash View Post
    your bang on the money with those two options, of course there are others like the TTR250 yamaha,

    I should have thought of that having ridden one on a trail ride, very easy to ride, suspension a bit plush for hammering them but as good as the DRZ
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."


    Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

  7. #7
    Join Date
    1st May 2011 - 12:35
    Bike
    XT660R / TTR250 / 2 old Montesa's
    Location
    Blenheim.. now ChCh
    Posts
    1,776
    Yamaha TTR250 or Suzuki DRZ250...both near bullet proof...


    ..
    Pete

    90% of all Harleys built are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home...
    Ducati... Makeing riders into mechaincs since 1964...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •