Thread: beginner dirt trail bike

Bike
    SV1000, RG500, RD350

beginner dirt trail bike

I have been riding road bikes for years although not so much if late due to work at. My 9yo recently got a PW80 which he rides around the lawn. I have been thinking he might like to try some low key trail rides. Means I should get a bike as well.
    Any suggestions for bikes up to $2.5k for 50yo old farts to pootle around tracks or the farm? Thinking of say CRF230 Hondas, DRZ250. No motocross bikes with huge maintenance costs.
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) Peace through superior firepower...
    Build your own dyno - PM me for the link of if you want to use it (bring beer)

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffm View Post
    I have been riding road bikes for years although not so much if late due to work at. My 9yo recently got a PW80 which he rides around the lawn. I have been thinking he might like to try some low key trail rides. Means I should get a bike as well.
    Any suggestions for bikes up to $2.5k for 50yo old farts to pootle around tracks or the farm? Thinking of say CRF230 Hondas, DRZ250. No motocross bikes with huge maintenance costs.
    Either of those two would be good, I've ridden both and they're easy to handle, the DRZ is a bit better in the suspension and brakes, electric start is a bonus on whatever you get
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    Drzs are a good shout. Great bikes.

Bike
    '06 Z750, '06 KDX200
    If you are short in the leg, or you have others in the household who may also want to ride, there's also the CRF150F.

Basically a sleeved-down 230, similar weight, just scaled down all over. Lower seat-height is handy if you're constantly getting on/off to pick up the PW80. Electric start from about 2006 onwards.

It worked for us for a few years, got the wife off-road and even did #1 son for a bit - before he outgrew it and took up something else that means we never get to ride any more...
    BM-GS
    Auckland

Bike
    Yamaha MT09 Tracer
    your bang on the money with those two options, of course there are others like the TTR250 yamaha, KLX250 kawasaki and the later XR250s (if were staying with the leccy start theme) but crf230 and drz250 are the most common and will fit your budget sweet-as.
    'the stickiest situation since sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun'

Cpt Edmund Blackadder

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by fridayflash View Post
    your bang on the money with those two options, of course there are others like the TTR250 yamaha,

I should have thought of that having ridden one on a trail ride, very easy to ride, suspension a bit plush for hammering them but as good as the DRZ
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    XT660R / TTR250 / 2 old Montesa's
    Yamaha TTR250 or Suzuki DRZ250...both near bullet proof...

Pete

90% of all Harleys built are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home...
    Ducati... Makeing riders into mechaincs since 1964...

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    KDX200. Much more competent that the other shitters as it's a 2 stroke and lighter esp as not top heavy so easier to pick up for 50 yr olds.

Easy to ride and reliable. Suspension is better, at least on the later model ones so doesn't punish old limbs.

These days I'll offer to ride someone's bike up something but I never offer to push or pull them out. Not enough spare energy for that these days.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    KDX200. Much more competent that the other shitters as it's a 2 stroke and lighter esp as not top heavy so easier to pick up for 50 yr olds.

Easy to ride and reliable. Suspension is better, at least on the later model ones so doesn't punish old limbs.

These days I'll offer to ride someone's bike up something but I never offer to push or pull them out. Not enough spare energy for that these days.
    +1 I've wanted to mention a venerable 2t since the thread started. Next door neighbour has a kx 200, looks like scrap but is crisp as can be.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Mate I had a ride on a GasGas200 and had to sell my kids. Auto correct. I didn't have kids back then, but my kdx went in favour of the GG.
    Although. . .

Then I rode a mate's 300 and had to buy one. Of course 2 strokes are much more fun, and the big ones have huge spread of power. The GGs are pussycats. Wish I'd started this when I was much younger.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Thread Information