Thread: KTM Duke 200 2015 Chain noise and jerking

Bike
    KTM Duke 200 2015

KTM Duke 200 2015 Chain noise and jerking

So 2 days ago I was checking the chain tension on my bike, I noticed that it was very loose, so naturally I tightened it. The next day when I was riding to work I noticed a noise almost like driving on judder bars (although much quieter) coming from the chain at very regular intervals, once per chain rotation. When I got home I put the bike up on the stand and ran the rear wheel. I can now see that there is a seemingly random catching as well, not sure where that comes from either. Any ideas on either of these problems and solutions? Here is a video of what I'm talking about.
    Thanks - Jack

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDGT
    Quote Originally Posted by gibbonsj View Post
    So 2 days ago I was checking the chain tension on my bike, I noticed that it was very loose, so naturally I tightened it. The next day when I was riding to work I noticed a noise almost like driving on judder bars (although much quieter) coming from the chain at very regular intervals, once per chain rotation. When I got home I put the bike up on the stand and ran the rear wheel. I can now see that there is a seemingly random catching as well, not sure where that comes from either. Any ideas on either of these problems and solutions? Here is a video of what I'm talking about.
    Thanks - Jack
    Looks like your chain is too tight, check in your handbook that you have set the chain tension correctly, better slightly loose than overtight as you can damage
    countershaft conponents.
    When the countershaft,the swingarm pivot point and the rear axle are in line you should still have slight play in your chain, you will probably need someone to sit on your bike
    to achieve this.
    Looks like you have got a few links in your chain that are binding causing the chain to whip, chain lube is your friend
    Political Correctness, the chief weapon of whiney arse bastards

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Sometimes things in life can be too tight and no amount of lube will help.

Reckon you have over tightened that bad boy.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    As above, but once a little looser try again, then spin a few inches, try again, a few inches, again. If you have it go tighter then looser then your chain is Donald Ducked. You can run it looser but it will only lessen the chance of damage.

Have a real good look at your front sprocket. Any wear will mean replacement required anyway.

Quality components will last a real long time with the occasional lube.

Cheaper stuff left to cope will die quickly.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Perhaps the chain is just worn out and needs replacing. How long has it been on the bike ???

Sometimes ... no amount of adjustment (or lube) will fix it.

After adjusting ... did you spin the wheel a few times to check for binding ... ??
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Perhaps the chain is just worn out and needs replacing. How long has it been on the bike ???

Sometimes ... no amount of adjustment (or lube) will fix it.

After adjusting ... did you spin the wheel a few times to check for binding ... ??

this! remember its a shite indian low cost chain for an OEM --- that and make sure you've got the axle alignment with the adjusters even/square :P

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Yeah that was what I was gently trying to imply with my last statement. Rather subtlety for me.

but also the sprockets will likely be knackered and replacement of both recommended with chain.

Bike
    KTM Duke 200 2015
    To those saying that the chain was too tight you were correct, Thanks for all the help!! I had no idea that the chain could get looser and tighter depending on what part of its cycle its in. I believe this may indicate that I need to order a new chain. Does anyone have somewhere specific they buy chains from? or do you just google for the one you want and buy it from the first place that ships to NZ? The chain the bike needs is a 520 o-ring.
    Thanks again!

Bike
    '08 Wee
    Quote Originally Posted by gibbonsj View Post
    To those saying that the chain was too tight you were correct, Thanks for all the help!! I had no idea that the chain could get looser and tighter depending on what part of its cycle its in. I believe this may indicate that I need to order a new chain. Does anyone have somewhere specific they buy chains from? or do you just google for the one you want and buy it from the first place that ships to NZ? The chain the bike needs is a 520 o-ring.
    Thanks again!
    Last time I needed a chain I got it at Cycletreads. It ended up being cheaper to get them to fit it than to just buy it, but it might be cheaper again to just go online.

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Your local dealer can supply a chain for you and sort fitting.
    If you want to do it all yourself you can go to bits4bikes.co.nz or overseas sites like motomummy often have good specials on quality parts.

You'll want the correct tools as well though.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    But as I said it is typically false economy to not replace the sprockets at the same time. As the chain wears it scallops out the sprockets to suit it's new length/inability to roll nice around the tight turns. Thus front wears worst despite hardening.

New chain on worn sprockets will wear quickly.

Occasionally a failure may sidestep this but if you've done a bunch of ks they will be worn out. Best quality parts should last well over 50thou ks but rubbish might be done in 10. Obviously a 200 you can get away with lighter rated chain than a big bike.

Ask shop for options. Try find parts guy who sounds a bit clued up. Think about how long you will keep the bike and chain still be OKish when selling it as buying cheap twice is more expensive.

You can't just squeeze a 520 chain on with pliers like a bicycle. Might be best to pay shop if you don't have an uncle with the proper chain tools.

Thread Information