Bike
    1972 Norton Commando

Uber Uber Uber Alles

The good news if your Uber India

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/04/uber...-to-email.html

The not so good news if your an Uber India driver

https://www.theguardian.com/global-d...ers-to-despair

Why care?

This is how the 'sharing' economy works.

Next time your getting your cheap ride home spare a thought for how the system works.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    I have been on a Uber ride. It was wonderful. An absolutely gorgeous French woman called Marie, in a nice little car. I'll never do another because I will get some fucktard and spoil my average
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    R100GSPD
    i dont do uber in NZ.In NZ i drive,ride walk bus or very occasionally a std taxi.IN Melbourne I sometime Uber courtesy of the daughter.In 2 uber rides 1 was good and 1 was not.

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Uber great. Used them several times overseas. Even when pissed, as long as you can focus on your phone the rest of the ride is easy.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Good stuff, nothing like contributing to the low wage economy and helping the 1% achieve their goals .
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Now it is nineteen eighty-four
    Knock-knock at your front door
    It's the suede denim secret police
    They have come for your uncool niece

Come quietly to the camp
    You'd look nice as a drawstring lamp
    Don't you worry, it's only a shower
    For your clothes, here's a pretty flower

Die on organic poison gas
    Serpent's egg's already hatched
    You will croak, you little clown
    When you mess with President Brown
    When you mess with President Brown

California Über Alles
    California Über Alles
    Über Alles California
    Über Alles Californi
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    So called Gig Economy is a crock.

Another way of having people at your beck and call without any certainty.

Delivering food and driving drunks around is not being self employed.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post

absolutely agree with this.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries

Don't forgot the much lauded 'disruptors' who came up with these brilliant 'innovations' making all that lovely money out of them.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd View Post
    Don't forgot the much lauded 'disruptors' who came up with these brilliant 'innovations' making all that lovely money out of them.
    So, someone uses technology in a new way, to compete with more traditional business models, to provide something that people clearly want to use.

And somehow, it's the person that came up with the idea that's the bad guy, not the people who want to use the service....
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    So, someone uses technology in a new way, to compete with more traditional business models, to provide something that people clearly want to use.

And somehow, it's the person that came up with the idea that's the bad guy, not the people who want to use the service....
    Did you read the two articles at the beginning of the thread?

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Did you read the two articles at the beginning of the thread?
    Articles?

You mean a bunch of Whining about how dare other people be more Successful than the Author?

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Articles?

You mean a bunch of Whining about how dare other people be more Successful than the Author?
    Nevermind....

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Nevermind....
    You cited the Guardian as a Source - May as well be the Comintern...

And if you brush aside all the 'Woe is the poor oppressed Worker' nonsense - There are several key points to consider:

1: When starting up, they offered incentives to Drivers to work for Uber - as the service requires a critical mass of drivers to work - People made life choices based on the expectation that these incentives would continue in-perpetuity. If Uber can be accused of anything (and anything printed by the Guardian should be treated as suspect) - it's that it should have been clearer that the incentive scheme would not continue indefinitely.

2: Some Drivers in their Haste to work for Uber, bought new cars, with loans they cannot afford. The article points out that they 'can't' sell the cars, because the sale price won't clear the Loan, however, responsible people have a phrase for that - it's called 'Taking a Loss'.

As an aside, they left worse paying Jobs and despite having to work the extra hours, they are still in possession of a Vehicle - a Luxury item (which previously they did not have), so they are still in a better financial position than when they started.

3: The article points out that the rates Uber charge passengers in India was initially higher, but is now on par with other forms of hired Transport - it's almost like there is an accepted Market Rate that Indians are willing to pay for such a service.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    You cited the Guardian as a Source - May as well be the Comintern...

And if you brush aside all the 'Woe is the poor oppressed Worker' nonsense - There are several key points to consider:

1: When starting up, they offered incentives to Drivers to work for Uber - as the service requires a critical mass of drivers to work - People made life choices based on the expectation that these incentives would continue in-perpetuity. If Uber can be accused of anything (and anything printed by the Guardian should be treated as suspect) - it's that it should have been clearer that the incentive scheme would not continue indefinitely.

2: Some Drivers in their Haste to work for Uber, bought new cars, with loans they cannot afford. The article points out that they 'can't' sell the cars, because the sale price won't clear the Loan, however, responsible people have a phrase for that - it's called 'Taking a Loss'.

As an aside, they left worse paying Jobs and despite having to work the extra hours, they are still in possession of a Vehicle - a Luxury item (which previously they did not have), so they are still in a better financial position than when they started.

3: The article points out that the rates Uber charge passengers in India was initially higher, but is now on par with other forms of hired Transport - it's almost like there is an accepted Market Rate that Indians are willing to pay for such a service.
    Would you prefer the Sun or the Times?

One of the Security Guards who used to work at facility I'm at started with Uber and went out and bought a 'less than 4 years old car", got all his Police checks and Taxi licence.
    He is from India and we had a few discussions on it.
    How do you pay your tax?
    What tax.
    Have you told your insurance company your using the vehicle for commercial purposes?
    What?
    And so on.
    He showed me the app he was using and the money going he was getting, good for an extra bit of pin money but to plan your life around not so much.

I'm certainly glad we don't have a Tory govt with the likes of Jacob Rees Mogg, the likes of him make me want to put on my Yellow Vest.

I dislike corporates especially the modern ones who pay even less tax and wages like Amazon,Uber, Facebook, Apple, and so on.

When your opening your Christmas presents spare a thought for the poor Chinese person on sub minimum wages working in Dickensian conditions.
    Merry Xmas.

Thread Information