Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Building a Racer Rep for the Road

Bike
    2003 Aprilia Tuono, 1998 GSXR 750
    But hang on, this talk of having to have a fully oem vehicle to get entry cert coming from overseas has to be BS

My car came into the country on big aftermarket wheels, big brake caliper and rotor setup aftermarket, coilovers, arms and roll bars aftermarket, engine mods, radiator, shit the bloody thing didn't even have cats
    But it came in, got a cert done and is proper legal

So then surely I can get the frame, work with a certer on the build up so that he's happy, and then go for the actual road registering from there.
    I must be so shit at Google that I can't find this on their websites

Bike
    Ducati 748R
    Quote Originally Posted by TCN View Post
    But hang on, this talk of having to have a fully oem vehicle to get entry cert coming from overseas has to be BS

My car came into the country on big aftermarket wheels, big brake caliper and rotor setup aftermarket, coilovers, arms and roll bars aftermarket, engine mods, radiator, shit the bloody thing didn't even have cats
    But it came in, got a cert done and is proper legal

So then surely I can get the frame, work with a certer on the build up so that he's happy, and then go for the actual road registering from there.
    I must be so shit at Google that I can't find this on their websites

But the car was complete with lights an all, with an ownership record. Blah blah blah

Why do you want a frame from overseas anyways? They will be cheap from a wrecker .. Find a high km bike from a wrecker and take the frame and have at it? I don't get why you want an overseas frame? It just compliments the situation

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by layton View Post
    But the car was complete with lights an all, with an ownership record. Blah blah blah

Why do you want a frame from overseas anyways? They will be cheap from a wrecker .. Find a high km bike from a wrecker and take the frame and have at it? I don't get why you want an overseas frame? It just compliments the situation
    Yeah that's a good point, and maybe pre border has something to do with it. Again, you still have the same result though.

They don't seem to be super common now, seems that way at least. I will be having a ring around come Monday though, along with the VTNZ technical types.
    With an overseas frame, a guy I know has oodles, lots of low km bikes, and non crashed ones too. Dirt cheap, and dirt cheap shipping too, with all their documents.
    There was also a possibility of bringing in a proper works team frame, which is where my initial discussions started with the import cert people. So that would have to come from overseas

Bike
    GSXR1000
    You could try Wayne Martin at Delray Automotive, 81 Kingsley St, ChCh. I'd suggest calling in to see him, he no longer does certs but was instrumental in writing a lot of the rules governing them.
    Last edited by onearmedbandit; 16th December 2018 at 19:20.

Bike
    Had a bit of light shed on the whole thing today.

Importing a non numbered blank race frame, it is possible, and it involves a couple of special exemptions regarding the frame having no numbers. Was told this is rather rare but has happened for rare and valuable builds. The hardest route to go down.

Importing an oem frame with history and documents, possible. From what I recall, bikes post 2002 have some kind of "build standards" to be met. This is where the OEM parts come into it. So you are required to have all the parts that the original manufacturer has certified and approved. And that is where I wouldn't be able to chuck on all my race parts on as its entry cert, non oem, etc.

Being that my build is 1996 to 1999, no build standards required. Just it being legal obviously.
    In this case, OEM frame untouched will be on a modified LVV cert.
    Procedure was told to me as import the frame, I go and build the bike, I then present it for entry certification, if all is well it goes into the system as "Suzuki modified, or replica" something like that.
    Whether it then goes for LVV or not, I'm a bit unsure, but the hurdle is the entry stuff first. Because it would have "entered" the country in that state, it might not require a further cert, unless something is modified later on

And having documents with the frame would make it a ton easier for sure

Still, not as easy as modding a bike already here, so provided I can find a good frame or donor bike, I'll go with that first

Bike
    motocompo
    This guy knows how to get scratch built stuff on the road.
    Well worth a chat.
    https://www.houseofcustom.co.nz/shop.html

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    A couple weeks back I was reading a motorcycle article on a turbo subaru motorcycle built up in NZ. Fully complies and all that.

Can't be that difficult if you follow process.

Here ya go

http://www.thedrive.com/motorcycles/...and-we-love-it

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    If you do actually go ahead with this, be sure to start a build thread for us.

this place is severely lacking in interesting build threads

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post

We are all too scared that if we build then sell on Trademe we will end up in the Optimistic Sellers thread

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Do not start a build before you know the exact process involved.

You can register a 'from scratch' 'one off' build entirely of your own design in Mew Zealand. The first move is paperwork, not buying tube though.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    I had looked at that but apparently the frame is twisted at the headstock.
    I did find a 600 srad on a wreckers page, but again the front looks severely tucked. Front tyre was almost touching the bottom of the fairing.
    So it's slim pickings currently

Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    If you do actually go ahead with this, be sure to start a build thread for us.

Yes I will post something up. It will still go ahead even if it has to be a track bike only. But I'll try avoid that for now. Especially now that tracks seemed to have tightened up on their open days (can't just rock up with whatever)

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Do not start a build before you know the exact process involved.

You can register a 'from scratch' 'one off' build entirely of your own design in Mew Zealand. The first move is paperwork, not buying tube though.
    Yes that's what I have been trying to nail down, the process involved. Come the new year I will get back into it

The main thing is that it won't be scratch built, the frame is an oem item and stock. But everything else will be modified and race parts.

And the process is clear if I buy a frame or bike in NZ. Its a matter of getting the lvv cert, and not much else other than working with the certer

Where I have been struggling to get the process is if I went down the road of bringing just a frame into the country to build up, as it may be hard to find one here
    From the way it was explained to me last, a 1996 bike has no build specification to follow for the entry cert, so it just has to meet legal requirements. It does not have to be presented in an oem state to receive the entry cert, only post 2002 bikes do, something to that effect

It seems to be bring the frame in, build the bike up, go start the entry cert process so it's details are in our systems, then go get the lvv cert done, the finish the entry cert

OR

when it gets its entry cert, it gets inspected there and entered into the database as "1996 Suzuki Modified" or something. It was hard to follow the guy on the phone

Bike
    motocompo
    There is a process for building a machine from new & used parts.
    It seems to be the easiest route to take.

Bike
    80+ bikes in total
    The Frame is the easy part ,the parts you mentioned the XRO parts and Kit parts are near impossible to find .Yoshimura Mladins bike were close to $800,000 to build 20yrs ago .Might be easier to buy a former race bike or make a good running Srad with current parts like ohlins (instead off factory showa's) non kit wheels , harris swingarm can be brought new for $6000 instead off a $20,000 kit one .
    Money is the easy part, the amount off time it talkes to collect all the correct parts takes years .
    I have gsxr750 2-3 kit bikes and 3-4 replica bikes .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	website 191.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	887.2 KB 
ID:	340537  

Bike
    80+ bikes in total
    Building a good street bike is much easier ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	website 149.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	879.8 KB 
ID:	340538  

Thread Information