Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Building a Racer Rep for the Road

Bike
    2003 Aprilia Tuono, 1998 GSXR 750

Building a Racer Rep for the Road

Hi all,

Currently in the process of gathering old parts for a 1996 GSXR 750, and the plan is to build up a endurance racer rep, and hopefully make it just road legal.

I've been scouring the pages and calling the certers to try and get an idea of what might be involved, but some of it seems a bit grey, or at least you can't get a straight up answer.

As it would sit, pretty much the only standard piece will be the main frame. Everything else will be done with modified or old racing parts. Showa race suspension, brembo calipers, mag triple clamps, alu endurance tank, race swingarm and subframe, built up engine with dry clutch, etc etc.

Is this going down a path that won't actually be road certable? I'm seeing reference that if you want to cert and register the bike then it must have original marked indicators and lights. mirrors, etc. Is it then just a matter of taking those off for aftermarket items later on?

Or is this just a matter of using a good OEM road frame, bolting it up and then going to a certer for all of the applicable mods to be listed and noted?

Bike
    As an addition, if I import a good OEM and legal frame from overseas, it seems like what I'm reading suggests that the built up bike will be inspected for OEM everything. So does this mean that the bike HAS to be totally OEM, and then as soon as I get that docket signed off, I can then rip it apart, fill it with modified parts the same day and then get a cert?

If that is the case, it seems a little bit redundant. It's hard to find out the concrete details for bikes, I guess so many modded bikes fly under the radar. WOF guys seem to barely pick up a heavily modded bike.

Bike
    Ducati 748R
    Quote Originally Posted by TCN View Post
    As an addition, if I import a good OEM and legal frame from overseas, it seems like what I'm reading suggests that the built up bike will be inspected for OEM everything. So does this mean that the bike HAS to be totally OEM, and then as soon as I get that docket signed off, I can then rip it apart, fill it with modified parts the same day and then get a cert?

If that is the case, it seems a little bit redundant. It's hard to find out the concrete details for bikes, I guess so many modded bikes fly under the radar. WOF guys seem to barely pick up a heavily modded bike.
    i would get something legal then rip it apart.. as long as it looks semi stock, not barbed wire an shit sticking out everywhere with a mini cannon you should be okay. but i am sure somebody more clued up then me will pop in shortly.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by layton View Post
    i would get something legal then rip it apart.. as long as it looks semi stock, not barbed wire an shit sticking out everywhere with a mini cannon you should be okay. but i am sure somebody more clued up then me will pop in shortly.
    Yeah, this will be anything but that, it's going to be WSBK and SERT parts.

Yeah it's hard to find a legit piece of writing that would confirm everything there. If that's what has to happen (buy a complete bike to strip down), then I guess it happens that way. Such a weird way to reach the same end result though, not to mention they don't seem super common now.
    Heaps of legitimate road legal frames overseas though.

Bike
    Ducati 748R
    Yeah, this will be anything but that, it's going to be WSBK and SERT parts.

Yeah it's hard to find a legit piece of writing that would confirm everything there. If that's what has to happen (buy a complete bike to strip down), then I guess it happens that way. Such a weird way to reach the same end result though, not to mention they don't seem super common now.
    Heaps of legitimate road legal frames overseas though.

alright, so from what i understand... you can get a road legal bike and mod it to hell and gone and get a cert at the end by a motorcycle certification person. take loads of pictures, DONT modify an alloy frame you will have to prove all the parts that you bolt on ARE in good working condition, and most importantly keep in contact with the guy who will be doing the cert as you can ask questions along the way.

if you get a frame from overseas, good luck. you will have to jump though so many loop holes you may aswell just buy a replica.

You could get a dereg bike from here but make sure it HAS been registered at some stage in its life in NZ, you will have to prove you own it.

IF you go down the dereg bike route you can do all the mods then get it certified then take it for the rego process. no OEM parts needed because it has been signed off as "road" worthy already....? well thats the way i understand it, and this is how i am going about my turbo gs project.

Bike
    alright, so from what i understand... you can get a road legal bike and mod it to hell and gone and get a cert at the end by a motorcycle certification person. take loads of pictures, DONT modify an alloy frame you will have to prove all the parts that you bolt on ARE in good working condition, and most importantly keep in contact with the guy who will be doing the cert as you can ask questions along the way.

if you get a frame from overseas, good luck. you will have to jump though so many loop holes you may aswell just buy a replica.

You could get a dereg bike from here but make sure it HAS been registered at some stage in its life in NZ, you will have to prove you own it.

IF you go down the dereg bike route you can do all the mods then get it certified then take it for the rego process. no OEM parts needed because it has been signed off as "road" worthy already....? well thats the way i understand it, and this is how i am going about my turbo gs project.
    Good God, what a silly setup we have for this, haha.
    Well if that is the case, and it sure seems like you're running through the same process currently, anyone want 90% of a 1996-1999 gsxr 750?

Bike
    Ducati 748R
    Good God, what a silly setup we have for this, haha.
    Well if that is the case, and it sure seems like you're running through the same process currently, anyone want 90% of a 1996-1999 gsxr 750?

Before you go selling stuff, what do you have?... It might pay to call VTNZ they will answer all ur questions. What part of the south are you in?

Bike
    Before you go selling stuff, what do you have?... It might pay to call VTNZ they will answer all ur questions. What part of the south are you in?
    Nah, I meant I'd be selling off stuff from the donor bike, I ain't selling my race parts hah.

I contacted VTNZ technical, when I was looking at bringing a works race frame into the country (no numbers or anything). I explained the plan and they said "yeah, it's possible to create a vin for the frame when it comes in, we just have to inspect it that it's an oem frame.", which they are.
    But he then said talk to a cert guy, which I did but all he could talk about was the mods, which would all be legal bar from the main frame. He then referred me back to an entry cert person, which is where I'm at now

So far I haven't yet found the golden egg goose who can tell me the exact process to follow officially, and most of what I find is through the forums here.
    VTNZ seemed to say that making a race frame legal, no problem type thing. Others say even importing a road legal frame from overseas, damn hard.

Bike
    Ducati 748R
    Nah, I meant I'd be selling off stuff from the donor bike, I ain't selling my race parts hah.

I contacted VTNZ technical, when I was looking at bringing a works race frame into the country (no numbers or anything). I explained the plan and they said "yeah, it's possible to create a vin for the frame when it comes in, we just have to inspect it that it's an oem frame.", which they are.
    But he then said talk to a cert guy, which I did but all he could talk about was the mods, which would all be legal bar from the main frame. He then referred me back to an entry cert person, which is where I'm at now

So far I haven't yet found the golden egg goose who can tell me the exact process to follow officially, and most of what I find is through the forums here.
    VTNZ seemed to say that making a race frame legal, no problem type thing. Others say even importing a road legal frame from overseas, damn hard.
    I asked years ago about geting a crf450 road legal, they said yes, its possible. But no it wont happen. Lol because it was never intended to be used on the road, I would have to get Honda via email to say it would be OK for road use, or modify the bike over 50% so its a custom.. I think that's what he said anyway.

I say buy a road going bike and strip it.. Less hassle?

Bike
    I asked years ago about geting a crf450 road legal, they said yes, its possible. But no it wont happen. Lol because it was never intended to be used on the road, I would have to get Honda via email to say it would be OK for road use, or modify the bike over 50% so its a custom.. I think that's what he said anyway.

I say buy a road going bike and strip it.. Less hassle?
    When you say modify a bike so it's over 50% custom, is that something to do with the "advanced and scratch built" certing?

Because this should end up barely original when the build is done. It's not really a joke when I say the frame and the engine cases will be the only oem items, maybe the headlight too.

Picture the bike below, but with lights, mirrors, etc

Bike
    Ducati 748R
    When you say modify a bike so it's over 50% custom, is that something to do with the "advanced and scratch built" certing?

Because this should end up barely original when the build is done. It's not really a joke when I say the frame and the engine cases will be the only oem items, maybe the headlight too.

Picture the bike below, but with lights, mirrors, etc

I guess so, yes.. "scratch built"? but im unsure how much has to be modified. as in frame ect.. never looked into it.

Now, you have to remember that to an outsider like a WOF guy, unless he knows his suzukis real well.. he will probably just think its a fancy body kit with a nice paint job. it doesn't look like an abomination. it just depends how you want to go about it, if you want a total legit bike that will be properly insured or something that is still a gsxr750 on paper but highly modified. if you dont do it properly you may have insurance issues because they ask if there are any items worth over $$$ amount.

when i say something that doesnt look STD i mean like my build, it clearly isnt stock.

Bike
    I guess so, yes.. "scratch built"? but im unsure how much has to be modified. as in frame ect.. never looked into it.

Now, you have to remember that to an outsider like a WOF guy, unless he knows his suzukis real well.. he will probably just think its a fancy body kit with a nice paint job. it doesn't look like an abomination. it just depends how you want to go about it, if you want a total legit bike that will be properly insured or something that is still a gsxr750 on paper but highly modified. if you dont do it properly you may have insurance issues because they ask if there are any items worth over $$$ amount.

when i say something that doesnt look STD i mean like my build, it clearly isnt stock.
    Scratch built definitely means making your own frame or anything like that, or I guess creating something that hasn't existed as a road legal thing before.
    The "advanced" part, again really hard to find details

I won't be skirting the rules for this though, and it'll be pretty obvious for any semi competent inspector. Dual filler on the tank, digital dash, dry clutch, carbon bodywork.

Well, pending on any other replies from the authorities and any more clarification of the processes, I guess that has to be the way, buy a bike to strip right down.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Hmm. Considered roading a TZ250 when they were cheap for a hill road bike. Dumb idea.

I did my YZF750SP, but under the radar. Race bodywork tiny FXR lights, suspension mods, (R1 brakes, weren't kosher hard to tell not std). Ally subframe any stuff that's hidden, no drama.

My RG/RGV, braced frame, RGV swingarm, wheels, forks, bodywork, then with 100hp RZ350, 500cc kit. Well that was another story. Got it LVVd but took a couple of goes. Clearly road legal indicators and head and tail lights smooth the way.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250

Fwiw yea correct,over many years did much to my old TL1000 ie GSXR front end blah blah didnt cert anything and never failed a wof yet.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by 98tls View Post
    Fwiw yea correct,over many years did much to my old TL1000 ie GSXR front end blah blah didnt cert anything and never failed a wof yet.
    Yeah I realise that, probably adding a steering damper is in some ways a certable mod, steering related

I mean, my current bike has mods that aren't certed, and it breezes every wof. Though the inspector did eyeball the brake setup and brembo MC last time, so he's probably quite aware.
    But I won't be doing that with this build, it's far too obvious, and it's also too valuable to do the dodgy with insurance and run risks like that.

Regardless, the thing I need to find more info on is not modding or the parts I'll be using (that's all pretty straightforward), it's what the processes are about bringing a frame into the country.

Thread Information