Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: drinking while driving

Bike
    suzuki

drinking while driving

the man is 'cought' drinking a can of bourbon while driving, so what's wrong with it, absolutley nothing I say, just bullshit reporting here and sensationising something out of nothing....

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/cri...-work-in-otago

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    the man is 'cought' drinking a can of bourbon while driving, so what's wrong with it, absolutley nothing I say, just bullshit reporting here and sensationising something out of nothing...
    You'd be quite happy for him to have drunk alcohol, possibly on an empty stomach, and to be driving his vehicle and to be following you on your bike?

Bike
    I Ride No More
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    You'd be quite happy for him to have drunk alcohol, possibly on an empty stomach, and to be driving his vehicle and to be following you on your bike?
    Or working as one of your staff (builder) on one of your work sites when
    he got to work ?

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    While driving over the Devil's Staircase on SH6?

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    That's a definite non-story, he wasn't drunk so it really didn't rate a mention.

There was another today about a woman who decided to ride an electric scooter home pissed, crashed and broke her neck. She says there ought to be a law against it. There is a law already, Darwin wrote it.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/109...or-regulations
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    suzuki
    Now you're assuming things here, tell me what is the difference between consuming the same drink, and getting into a vehicle and driving, or drinking the same drink, using a cup holder provided by the vehicle manufacturer while driving?????

My point is he's done nothing illegal or wrong here, the media thinks it's leading news.

Bike
    Yo momma
    There is an open container law here. You can actually get nicked for an open beer can that has been rolling around under the back seat for the last 5 years. When you sign up as a driver you must also accept the laws involved.

BTW I think the OP is havin' a bit of a troll.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    That's a definite non-story, he wasn't drunk so it really didn't rate a mention.

There was another today about a woman who decided to ride an electric scooter home pissed, crashed and broke her neck. She says there ought to be a law against it. There is a law already, Darwin wrote it.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/109...or-regulations
    I saw that, its never anyone's fault these days.
    Newton also wrote some law that apply too.

I got buzzed by a E Skootah this morning, you don't hear them coming and if you suddenly changed direction it would be a tad messy.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Now you're assuming things here, tell me what is the difference between consuming the same drink, and getting into a vehicle and driving, or drinking the same drink, using a cup holder provided by the vehicle manufacturer while driving?????

My point is he's done nothing illegal or wrong here, the media thinks it's leading news.
    The only thing I could be assuming is that he's drinking on an empty stomach, hence my "possibly on an empty stomach".

Difference between "drinking and driving" and "driving and drinking"? Possible similar level of impairment of driving, doing while driving could be lack of focus on the road/traffic as in "distracted driving".

Do you consider that to be acceptable on our roads?

Yes, he was under the limit when he was tested after he was required to wait for an hour. But that doesn't mean his driving was not impaired.

Bike
    suzuki
    Do you consider that to be acceptable on our roads?

of course, otherwise they'd fail you at warrant of fitnees time for having cupholders in your car.
    is drinking a can more disracting than lighting a cigarette, or changing a tape or CD or tuning your gps? it's not, on what grounds could the cops hold him for an hour?
    it's just a nothing story
    oh, how come mcdonalds are allowed to serve drinks at a drive through, surely if it were against the law to drive drinking they wouldn't be able to?

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    the man is 'cought' drinking a can of bourbon while driving, so what's wrong with it, absolutley nothing I say, just bullshit reporting here and sensationising something out of nothing....

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/cri...-work-in-otago
    Yeah I don't think he should have been on the way to work, that's a bit extreme, but the man broke no laws so why write a blurb.

The open can rule only applies here in liquour ban zones.

Bike
    of course, otherwise they'd fail you at warrant of fitnees time for having cupholders in your car.
    is drinking a can more disracting than lighting a cigarette, or changing a tape or CD or tuning your gps? it's not, on what grounds could the cops hold him for an hour?
    it's just a nothing story
    oh, how come mcdonalds are allowed to serve drinks at a drive through, surely if it were against the law to drive drinking they wouldn't be able to?
    Whatever...

But you did say in your first post: "the man is 'cought' drinking a can of bourbon while driving, so what's wrong with it, absolutley nothing I say, just bullshit reporting here and sensationising something out of nothing...."

and asked what is wrong with him drinking bourbon while driving...

Why don't you ask the local Queenstown police what's wrong with him drinking bourbon while driving?

And while you're at it, ask the local volunteer fire brigade and local volunteer ambulance crews...

If you are serious in your belief that there is nothing wrong with him driving and drinking alcohol, then that's fine. But I don't think it is fine.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    I drink a beer while I drive, very often in fact.

I dont do it in liquor ban areas though, that's illegal.

Get the law changed, or suck it.

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    I drink a beer while I drive, very often in fact.

I dont do it in liquor ban areas though, that's illegal.

Get the law changed, or suck it.
    Really? In NZ you can drink booze while driving in some areas but not others? This belongs in the Shithole thread.

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Whatever...

But you did say in your first post: "the man is 'cought' drinking a can of bourbon while driving, so what's wrong with it, absolutley nothing I say, just bullshit reporting here and sensationising something out of nothing...."

and asked what is wrong with him drinking bourbon while driving...

Why don't you ask the local Queenstown police what's wrong with him drinking bourbon while driving?

And while you're at it, ask the local volunteer fire brigade and local volunteer ambulance crews...

If you are serious in your belief that there is nothing wrong with him driving and drinking alcohol, then that's fine. But I don't think it is fine.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
    driving while drunk, and having a drink while you drive are two different things.
    same as 'driving at speed' and 'speeding' are two different things.

He had 1.something standard drinks, and by the pathetic article's account, no suggestion that there was even any other alcohol in the vehicle.

Im fine with police working to keep the roads a bit safer, but for fuck sakes, a least find something newsworthy and of real concern to report about

Thread Information