Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 51

Thread: Yamaha Niken

  1. #31
    Join Date
    22nd October 2002 - 11:00
    Bike
    2019 KTM Duke 790
    Location
    Coromandel Harbour
    Posts
    4,116
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    An Ariel Atom can park it's slippers in my shed any day.
    Yumm! To be perfectly candid, something like a Lotus7 would be wasted on me as it wouldn't get used enough. When I get REALLY old and feeble, I'll probably settle for a lightweight trail bike like a WR 250 that I can pootle from from Coromandel up to Fletcher's Bay on the dirt. That will probably end up with a Westpac chopper ride when I go over a cliff or encounter some tosser in a camper van who can't stay on their side of the road

  2. #32
    Join Date
    14th June 2007 - 22:39
    Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Location
    Pigs back.
    Posts
    4,790
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Yumm! To be perfectly candid, something like a Lotus7 would be wasted on me as it wouldn't get used enough. When I get REALLY old and feeble, I'll probably settle for a lightweight trail bike like a WR 250 that I can pootle from from Coromandel up to Fletcher's Bay on the dirt. That will probably end up with a Westpac chopper ride when I go over a cliff or encounter some tosser in a camper van who can't stay on their side of the road
    I've already gone down the trials bike route to help with fitness and technique as the years passed make themselves known. Better than a gym membership!

    Back to the Niken.....

    I would not be surprised to see 3 wheel technology refined and become more common place as ecletic technology advances. Plenty of scope for big batteries.
    Manopausal.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    22nd October 2002 - 11:00
    Bike
    2019 KTM Duke 790
    Location
    Coromandel Harbour
    Posts
    4,116
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    I've already gone down the trials bike route to help with fitness and technique as the years passed make themselves known. Better than a gym membership!

    Back to the Niken.....

    I would not be surprised to see 3 wheel technology refined and become more common place as ecletic technology advances. Plenty of scope for big batteries.
    Great stuff!

    When we were in China last month, literally every scooter in Shanghai was battery-powered and there were hordes of them. Ok, this was part of their plan to combat their pollution problem but it also means that they've got a lot of serious R&D going on. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see big advances coming out of there in terms of battery technology.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    26th September 2006 - 16:33
    Bike
    Suzuki Smash 2016. (Yes, really!)
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    1,311
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffyd View Post
    I've been saying this since they brought out the Tri-city. It's very handy in stop/go traffic if you don't have to put a foot down every few metres.

    I have mentioned this to Yamaha, and several dealers, but deaf ears. My thinking is, if Piaggio can do it with the MP3, then why can't Yamaha?
    I understand they have a new 3 wheeled scoot coming out called the 3CT 300. (Get it? Tricity 300.) This has a locking mechanism to keep it upright when stationary. I await with anticipation...
    "If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by candlelight." George Gobel

  5. #35
    Join Date
    2nd March 2018 - 15:32
    Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    574
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Great stuff!

    When we were in China last month, literally every scooter in Shanghai was battery-powered and there were hordes of them. Ok, this was part of their plan to combat their pollution problem but it also means that they've got a lot of serious R&D going on. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see big advances coming out of there in terms of battery technology.
    I doubt we will see any major advances in batteries now unless someone develops a better battery technology than lithium. There are incremental improvements though - just look at how much further the current Leaf can travel on a charge compared with the older models.

    Fuel cells are probably the next step, but we will need a hydrogen infrastructure before that can happen.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    22nd October 2002 - 11:00
    Bike
    2019 KTM Duke 790
    Location
    Coromandel Harbour
    Posts
    4,116
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    I doubt we will see any major advances in batteries now unless someone develops a better battery technology than lithium. There are incremental improvements though - just look at how much further the current Leaf can travel on a charge compared with the older models.

    Fuel cells are probably the next step, but we will need a hydrogen infrastructure before that can happen.
    Yep, the immediate improvements are definitely incremental. Apparently, some promising experimental results are being obtained with lithium sulphur.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    15th October 2009 - 17:33
    Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    737
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    I doubt we will see any major advances in batteries now unless someone develops a better battery technology than lithium. There are incremental improvements though - just look at how much further the current Leaf can travel on a charge compared with the older models.

    Fuel cells are probably the next step, but we will need a hydrogen infrastructure before that can happen.
    What about graphene? Been waiting ages for that to cross from research into the real world, hard to know at this stage how viable it might end up being.

    https://www.wired.co.uk/article/grap...upercapacitors
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

  8. #38
    Join Date
    2nd March 2018 - 15:32
    Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    574
    There is a fundamental safety issue with supercapacitors, which is that they can discharge the stored energy very quickly. You just don't want to think about how badly that could go wrong.

    I remember when graphene first hit the headlines. I was still at uni!

  9. #39
    Join Date
    19th January 2013 - 16:56
    Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Location
    The Isthmus
    Posts
    1,491
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffyd View Post
    I understand they have a new 3 wheeled scoot coming out called the 3CT 300. (Get it? Tricity 300.) This has a locking mechanism to keep it upright when stationary. I await with anticipation...
    Are they catching up?

  10. #40
    Join Date
    14th June 2007 - 22:39
    Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Location
    Pigs back.
    Posts
    4,790
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    There is a fundamental safety issue with supercapacitors, which is that they can discharge the stored energy very quickly. You just don't want to think about how badly that could go wrong.

    I remember when graphene first hit the headlines. I was still at uni!
    A lot of stuff is being tested but it's going to be some time before a better technology than what is current, heh, makes it into production.
    Manopausal.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    30th January 2004 - 11:00
    Bike
    2017 MT-09
    Location
    In a happy place - Kapiti
    Posts
    2,120
    Guys get back on topic. Go to Eveready.com and chat about batteries to your hearts content. I want someone else to test ride a Niken and share their thoughts please.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

  12. #42
    Join Date
    2nd March 2018 - 15:32
    Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    574
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    Guys get back on topic. Go to Eveready.com and chat about batteries to your hearts content. I want someone else to test ride a Niken and share their thoughts please.
    I'm planning to test ride a KTM 790 soon. A motorcycle.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    22nd October 2002 - 11:00
    Bike
    2019 KTM Duke 790
    Location
    Coromandel Harbour
    Posts
    4,116
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    I'm planning to test ride a KTM 790 soon. A motorcycle.
    Absolutely love mine: http://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2019/...0-km-down.html . The only real complaint is the OEM Maxxis pure sport tyres. Now the colder temperatures are here, it's hard to get enough heat into them and they don't grip. Getting Bridgestone T31's fitted tomorrow at Drury Performance Centre.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    2nd March 2018 - 15:32
    Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    574
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Absolutely love mine: http://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2019/...0-km-down.html . The only real complaint is the OEM Maxxis pure sport tyres. Now the colder temperatures are here, it's hard to get enough heat into them and they don't grip. Getting Bridgestone T31's fitted tomorrow at Drury Performance Centre.
    Thanks, your review was one of the reasons for my interest in the bike. How do you find the suspension?

    The Yamaha nakeds are decent value also - did you consider the MT09?

  15. #45
    Join Date
    22nd October 2002 - 11:00
    Bike
    2019 KTM Duke 790
    Location
    Coromandel Harbour
    Posts
    4,116
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    Thanks, your review was one of the reasons for my interest in the bike. How do you find the suspension?

    The Yamaha nakeds are decent value also - did you consider the MT09?
    Suprisingly for non-adjustable suspension (discounting preload), it's really good and seems to cater for a wide range of rider weights according to feedback from the KTM forums. The front and rear units are both White Power with progressive springs. Some owners have upgraded but most seem pretty happy despite the limited adjustability. I'm 72 kg in my socks and it's fine for me. The bike's light weight and fairly aggressive geometry might well contribute to good handling too.

    No, I didn't consider the MT 09 , partially because it didn't have the emotional appeal of the KTM but also because most owners acknowledge that they have to splash out on suspension upgrades fairly quickly. The MT10SP is a different kettle of fish, but so is the price

    EDIT: Fitted Bridgestone T31's today as the OEM Maxxis pure sport tyres started to show grip limitations in cold, damp weather.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •