Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha Niken

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    An Ariel Atom can park it's slippers in my shed any day.
    Yumm! To be perfectly candid, something like a Lotus7 would be wasted on me as it wouldn't get used enough. When I get REALLY old and feeble, I'll probably settle for a lightweight trail bike like a WR 250 that I can pootle from from Coromandel up to Fletcher's Bay on the dirt. That will probably end up with a Westpac chopper ride when I go over a cliff or encounter some tosser in a camper van who can't stay on their side of the road

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Yumm! To be perfectly candid, something like a Lotus7 would be wasted on me as it wouldn't get used enough. When I get REALLY old and feeble, I'll probably settle for a lightweight trail bike like a WR 250 that I can pootle from from Coromandel up to Fletcher's Bay on the dirt. That will probably end up with a Westpac chopper ride when I go over a cliff or encounter some tosser in a camper van who can't stay on their side of the road
    I've already gone down the trials bike route to help with fitness and technique as the years passed make themselves known. Better than a gym membership!

Back to the Niken.....

I would not be surprised to see 3 wheel technology refined and become more common place as ecletic technology advances. Plenty of scope for big batteries.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    I've already gone down the trials bike route to help with fitness and technique as the years passed make themselves known. Better than a gym membership!

Back to the Niken.....

I would not be surprised to see 3 wheel technology refined and become more common place as ecletic technology advances. Plenty of scope for big batteries.
    Great stuff!

When we were in China last month, literally every scooter in Shanghai was battery-powered and there were hordes of them. Ok, this was part of their plan to combat their pollution problem but it also means that they've got a lot of serious R&D going on. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see big advances coming out of there in terms of battery technology.

Bike
    Suzuki Smash 2016. (Yes, really!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffyd View Post
    I've been saying this since they brought out the Tri-city. It's very handy in stop/go traffic if you don't have to put a foot down every few metres.

I have mentioned this to Yamaha, and several dealers, but deaf ears. My thinking is, if Piaggio can do it with the MP3, then why can't Yamaha?
    I understand they have a new 3 wheeled scoot coming out called the 3CT 300. (Get it? Tricity 300.) This has a locking mechanism to keep it upright when stationary. I await with anticipation...
    "Statistics are used as a drunk uses lampposts - for support, not illumination."

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Great stuff!

When we were in China last month, literally every scooter in Shanghai was battery-powered and there were hordes of them. Ok, this was part of their plan to combat their pollution problem but it also means that they've got a lot of serious R&D going on. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see big advances coming out of there in terms of battery technology.
    I doubt we will see any major advances in batteries now unless someone develops a better battery technology than lithium. There are incremental improvements though - just look at how much further the current Leaf can travel on a charge compared with the older models.

Fuel cells are probably the next step, but we will need a hydrogen infrastructure before that can happen.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    I doubt we will see any major advances in batteries now unless someone develops a better battery technology than lithium. There are incremental improvements though - just look at how much further the current Leaf can travel on a charge compared with the older models.

Fuel cells are probably the next step, but we will need a hydrogen infrastructure before that can happen.
    Yep, the immediate improvements are definitely incremental. Apparently, some promising experimental results are being obtained with lithium sulphur.

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries

What about graphene? Been waiting ages for that to cross from research into the real world, hard to know at this stage how viable it might end up being.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/grap...upercapacitors
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    There is a fundamental safety issue with supercapacitors, which is that they can discharge the stored energy very quickly. You just don't want to think about how badly that could go wrong.

I remember when graphene first hit the headlines. I was still at uni!

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffyd View Post
    I understand they have a new 3 wheeled scoot coming out called the 3CT 300. (Get it? Tricity 300.) This has a locking mechanism to keep it upright when stationary. I await with anticipation...
    Are they catching up?

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    There is a fundamental safety issue with supercapacitors, which is that they can discharge the stored energy very quickly. You just don't want to think about how badly that could go wrong.

I remember when graphene first hit the headlines. I was still at uni!
    A lot of stuff is being tested but it's going to be some time before a better technology than what is current, heh, makes it into production.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Guys get back on topic. Go to Eveready.com and chat about batteries to your hearts content. I want someone else to test ride a Niken and share their thoughts please.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    Guys get back on topic. Go to Eveready.com and chat about batteries to your hearts content. I want someone else to test ride a Niken and share their thoughts please.
    I'm planning to test ride a KTM 790 soon. A motorcycle.

Bike
    Sold
    I'm planning to test ride a KTM 790 soon. A motorcycle.
    Absolutely love mine: http://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2019/...0-km-down.html . The only real complaint is the OEM Maxxis pure sport tyres. Now the colder temperatures are here, it's hard to get enough heat into them and they don't grip. Getting Bridgestone T31's fitted tomorrow at Drury Performance Centre.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Absolutely love mine: http://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2019/...0-km-down.html . The only real complaint is the OEM Maxxis pure sport tyres. Now the colder temperatures are here, it's hard to get enough heat into them and they don't grip. Getting Bridgestone T31's fitted tomorrow at Drury Performance Centre.
    Thanks, your review was one of the reasons for my interest in the bike. How do you find the suspension?

The Yamaha nakeds are decent value also - did you consider the MT09?

Bike
    Sold
    Thanks, your review was one of the reasons for my interest in the bike. How do you find the suspension?

The Yamaha nakeds are decent value also - did you consider the MT09?
    Suprisingly for non-adjustable suspension (discounting preload), it's really good and seems to cater for a wide range of rider weights according to feedback from the KTM forums. The front and rear units are both White Power with progressive springs. Some owners have upgraded but most seem pretty happy despite the limited adjustability. I'm 72 kg in my socks and it's fine for me. The bike's light weight and fairly aggressive geometry might well contribute to good handling too.

No, I didn't consider the MT 09 , partially because it didn't have the emotional appeal of the KTM but also because most owners acknowledge that they have to splash out on suspension upgrades fairly quickly. The MT10SP is a different kettle of fish, but so is the price

EDIT: Fitted Bridgestone T31's today as the OEM Maxxis pure sport tyres started to show grip limitations in cold, damp weather.

Thread Information