Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yamaha Niken

Bike
    S1000RR

Yamaha Niken

I had a chance to ride this last weekend. Was only a very short ride but wow, it feels weird to ride as it looks!

First and foremost; extra sets of forks and rubber (plus the weight) made the front end feel really smooth. It rode over bumps like luxury SUV. Very comfortable. Going around corners felt very stable and (get ready for it) like it was on rails!!

Ride was quite short so can't say much more... The look is definitely controversial but what do you all think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	48272801_10156092106593129_7335161889338425344_o.jpg 
Views:	1091 
Size:	729.0 KB 
ID:	339910  

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    2017 Triumph Tiger XCA
    Had a look at the bike show a couple of weeks ago and had a sit on it.

It's about the same width as my Tiger XCA (apparently), but felt very bulky up-front, with the mirrors positioned on the low side, like a sports bike, so less conducive (IMO) to lanesplitting than my Tiger...

Plus there is the added disadvantage that you would be purchasing two front tyres, rather than one...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Surprised it needs a side stand.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    This thread should be called "the undateables"!
    that thing is weird with a capital weir!
    But fair go, and good on you crazy Mr Kim for doing a review. Can it do 200kmh on the Akaroa GP?
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    My understanding is that soon it wont.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Indian Scout
    So they have landed. Doubt the tiny little Yamaha shop here would have a demo?

I think the styling is bang on and I really like the looks and curves etc. Should be real comfy as a tourer, decent wind protection and that luxurious seat (compared to the excuse for a seat some bikes get.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    Big red vibrator
    size isnt everything, Macca has one for demos, havent ridden it yet but feedback has been good, especially the planted through corners and stable as under brakes.

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    Any news yet about whether it can be ridden on a car licence like the Tricity?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by release_the_bees View Post
    Any news yet about whether it can be ridden on a car licence like the Tricity?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Review of the Niken in KiwiRider

According to the review, the answer is 'No'.

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01
    Oh I'd love to have a play on one, they look fantastic. Nice to see someone doing something slightly different, you know?

https://www.bikeme.tv/index.php/2018...-holy-trinity/

I've already talked to my local Yamaha dealer, they won't be getting any demo's in except for then Yamaha Australia do their demo tours, where they just load the range into the back of a truck and set up at dealerships for short group demo thingos.
    2001 Ducati 996S || 2008 Yamaha CygnusX
    FaceBrick

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    how nimble is the steering at slow speeds? / carpark maneuverability style

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Couldn't resist trying it out today. A short test ride over the tight road to Whitemans Valley behind Upper Hutt.

It looks amazing!
    Super comfortable. I thought my 1050 Tiger and current MT09 were the most comfortable riding position but this is a tad better again. You could cruise 24 hours seven days and feel great. Wide bars. WIDE front end. No way you could commute and lane split.

The sense of lean is magnified I think as you corner. Very enjoyable sensation as it leans in and so smooth over bumps, so secure up front. I was expecting the pegs or something to touch down but nah. Sure if you owned it you could push harder and find the limit but I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of lean available. Jumping back on my super nimble and light MT09 did show up how the Niken is a tad heavier by comparison.

I tried to upset it with hard braking into bends, no problems. Two contact patches ensure a good stopping distance under hard braking too.

I could happily own one of these but not while I commute. Which highlights where I see this as an ideal next bike for those aging bikers, like me. Tired of sportsbikes, looking for something to encourage us to slow down a bit, smell the roses, relax while riding. But struggling to find anything appealing in the cruiser range. They sort of provide a relaxing ride but fail if you find yourself somewhere nice that wants a bit of spirited pace. The Niken would be excellent as a tourer and a great Cruiser substitute to those not prepared to embarrass themselves by being seen on an old man cruiser.

I hope Yamaha sell heaps, they deserve too, it's a fine product and tests the boundaries of design while still providing an exciting ride experience.

ps- slow speed turns had me a little nervous at first but I think a day or two under your belt and it would all fall into place [not fall over]. I did two u-turns and it has a tight turning circle . Just need to overcome the tipping in feeling that comes from the bulk up front I guess
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubbo View Post
    how nimble is the steering at slow speeds? / carpark maneuverability style
    Oh gosh I wish I rode more to tell you that. Guess I'll need another test ride...

It looks bulky but as reviews say, it feels really light.

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    Suzuki Smash 2016. (Yes, really!)
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    I've been saying this since they brought out the Tri-city. It's very handy in stop/go traffic if you don't have to put a foot down every few metres.

I have mentioned this to Yamaha, and several dealers, but deaf ears. My thinking is, if Piaggio can do it with the MP3, then why can't Yamaha?
    "Statistics are used as a drunk uses lampposts - for support, not illumination."

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    Couldn't resist trying it out today. A short test ride over the tight road to Whitemans Valley behind Upper Hutt.

It looks amazing!
    Super comfortable. I thought my 1050 Tiger and current MT09 were the most comfortable riding position but this is a tad better again. You could cruise 24 hours seven days and feel great. Wide bars. WIDE front end. No way you could commute and lane split.

The sense of lean is magnified I think as you corner. Very enjoyable sensation as it leans in and so smooth over bumps, so secure up front. I was expecting the pegs or something to touch down but nah. Sure if you owned it you could push harder and find the limit but I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of lean available. Jumping back on my super nimble and light MT09 did show up how the Niken is a tad heavier by comparison.

I tried to upset it with hard braking into bends, no problems. Two contact patches ensure a good stopping distance under hard braking too.

I could happily own one of these but not while I commute. Which highlights where I see this as an ideal next bike for those aging bikers, like me. Tired of sportsbikes, looking for something to encourage us to slow down a bit, smell the roses, relax while riding. But struggling to find anything appealing in the cruiser range. They sort of provide a relaxing ride but fail if you find yourself somewhere nice that wants a bit of spirited pace. The Niken would be excellent as a tourer and a great Cruiser substitute to those not prepared to embarrass themselves by being seen on an old man cruiser.

I hope Yamaha sell heaps, they deserve too, it's a fine product and tests the boundaries of design while still providing an exciting ride experience.

ps- slow speed turns had me a little nervous at first but I think a day or two under your belt and it would all fall into place [not fall over]. I did two u-turns and it has a tight turning circle . Just need to overcome the tipping in feeling that comes from the bulk up front I guess
    That's a cracking test route - I've ridden it many times myself now, being based at Trentham during the week. I agree that it's good to see Yamaha doing something different and I applaud their interpretation of such a concept. Any idea as to price?

Thread Information