Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Riding into old age

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    Blackbird said that "he wants to ride" NOT dick around fixing Italian crap all the time!
    Sadly this is exactly true...I have 2 ducatis cos you need two if you want one to ride...
    it is a damn shame the japs dont make a big bore thumping v twin with looks and style! I for one would buy one!
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Zimmer frame?

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Zimmer frame?
    Give it a year or two Allan

Bike
    2004 SV650S
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Nah - don't want exotica. Question mark over reliability? I live a long way from any major service center too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    Blackbird said that "he wants to ride" NOT dick around fixing Italian crap all the time!
    I think you both should go watch a couple of reviews on the 2015+ models. They're not Ducatis...
    102° Rx = + /_\

Bike
    2004 SV650S
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    Sadly this is exactly true...I have 2 ducatis cos you need two if you want one to ride...
    it is a damn shame the japs dont make a big bore thumping v twin with looks and style! I for one would buy one!
    Suzuki SV1000??
    102° Rx = + /_\

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    They do have Looks, and Style. I mean, not conventional good looks.
    She's, 'nice'

Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Can understand that with the R1! Towards the end of my 8 years with the Blackbird, I found the forward stretch hard on the wrists and neck. Going to a naked (the Street Triple) was ergonomically far more pleasant for an ageing body and the wind blast at sane highway speeds was just fine. It actually helped to slow me down a bit in terms of speed. Ditto with comfort on the Gixxer. The only concession was putting on 20 mm lower footpegs as a concession to my knees and that worked perfectly. Totally at home with a naked bike now. Yep, I have the Gixxer serviced at Boyds and they look after me well. I'll get a test ride there, then nip across the road to test the Triple. That's where I bought the 675 from.
    Your Thread struck a cord with me Blackbird. I too did the 20mm trick with the pegs for my crook right knee . I have a buggered neck as well and approaching 70 ( in 4 months) I'm sadly thinking of doing something about the K6. Love the thing to death and have considered fitting bars. I only do 2 hrs max these days but fairly regular at once a week.
    I have thought of going back to an old style CBX or GSX1100 from 1980 but they seem to be far too costly and buggered now days, but I do like the feel of them. I think a few road tests on 1000 nakeds is the plan in the new year. (even the S like yours although a couple of dealers thought I might miss the extra 30 hp and torque of the full salad ?).
    A bit more comfort should keep me peddling for years to come . (I don't think at 6' and 92kgs anything smaller would suit and might look, miss matched ?).

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by babysteps View Post
    Suzuki SV1000??
    Love the SV1000 and have had V Stroms but an SV 1000 has budget suspension and appalling front brakes. So it does not compare with late model Ducatis at all. Not to mention that they stopped making it! Now if they made it again, more power, more refined susp, and modern electronics? It would sell bigtime!
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    The TRX 850 was as close to a Ducati that the japs ever built (that we could afford).

But I'm 61 in a few months ... and I've started looking at "other" bikes. My work is full time but includes plenty of (paid) week days off. Plenty of time for rides of a different nature to what I've done on the FJ. I was fond of the long distance ... there was nowhere in the south island I couldn't get to on a day ride. A weekend ride got me around the south island ... on more than one occasion.

However ... there are a few roads to places I haven't been that the FJ can't take me. I have a height impairment issue though (I'm short) so I'm chucking a leg over anything that might be suitable. But at the moment ... there is no rush to change. Time is still on my side and I have plenty of the spare time.

And any excuse for a look around on a ride ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    Your Thread struck a cord with me Blackbird. I too did the 20mm trick with the pegs for my crook right knee . I have a buggered neck as well and approaching 70 ( in 4 months) I'm sadly thinking of doing something about the K6. Love the thing to death and have considered fitting bars. I only do 2 hrs max these days but fairly regular at once a week.
    I have thought of going back to an old style CBX or GSX1100 from 1980 but they seem to be far too costly and buggered now days, but I do like the feel of them. I think a few road tests on 1000 nakeds is the plan in the new year. (even the S like yours although a couple of dealers thought I might miss the extra 30 hp and torque of the full salad ?).
    A bit more comfort should keep me peddling for years to come . (I don't think at 6' and 92kgs anything smaller would suit and might look, miss matched ?).
    I could be interested in your K6.

Yes, I rode a FZ1 on a trip a few years before buying the R1. It simply did not have the grunt of the R1 and the lack of wind protection was no fun when riding into a headwind for 3 hours.

The footpegs on my R1 are standard but it came with a set of Tourin bars, which I've actually dropped down slightly and are perfect for me (6'1).

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    I'm delighted that there are others around my age trying to future-proof their riding . I find a bit of not-too-strenuous cycling helps my knees. My work with IAM keeps me on the road for about 6 hours at a stretch and with the lower pegs and trying to cycle regularly, I can live with those hours without too much discomfort.

Interesting comment by your dealers! When I switched from the Blackbird to the Street Triple, there was a nagging thought that it might feel "unmanly" with less horsepower. Nothing could have been further from the truth. With the lighter weight and almost flat torque curve, the performance up to and a bit above the legal limit wasn't that much different. Didn't take any of the enjoyment away at all. Besides, how long do we have the throttle pinned to the stop for on public highways? The only time I've absolutely nailed the GSX is trackdays at Taupo and Hampton Downs. Did my first trackday aged 69 so that's something else knocked off the bucket list . (Excluding riding like a complete pillock at dawn round the IOM TT circuit in 1969). Despite the Blackbird and GSX-S having around 145 bhp at the rear wheel, I still had more fun with the 675 Street Triple at 105 bhp!

All the best for your 70th and long may your riding continue!

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Bucket list........

I'm in my fiddys so not eligible, yet, for this thread. Also, I consider myself to be ripe rather than mature.

I guess I'm at a time of life where as my body makes known it's problems the bank balance is giving better opportunities. To try and stay ahead of seizing up I dabble in off road now, trials bike and enduro. The trials bike is a keeper, the hairy arsed old 2t enduro which can cause altitude sickness and incontinence, probably not.

Their is method in this muddy madness. I want to ride all the fabled trails in the South Island, go fly fishing in a beautiful valley somewhere with me tent. Thats #1.

#2. Desert, I've never seen one. I would love to ride across the Simpson in Oz.

So, I'm waiting for the T7 to come out, it works with my time line. It's also a logical step from my venerable TDM.

That's the next few years covered. After that I suspect my riding will allow for something leccy powered. Technology should match my wants by then.

Mobility scooter.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Bucket list........

I'm in my fiddys so not eligible, yet, for this thread. Also, I consider myself to be ripe rather than mature.

I guess I'm at a time of life where as my body makes known it's problems the bank balance is giving better opportunities. To try and stay ahead of seizing up I dabble in off road now, trials bike and enduro. The trials bike is a keeper, the hairy arsed old 2t enduro which can cause altitude sickness and incontinence, probably not.

Their is method in this muddy madness. I want to ride all the fabled trails in the South Island, go fly fishing in a beautiful valley somewhere with me tent. Thats #1.

So, I'm waiting for the T7 to come out, it works with my time line. It's also a logical step from my venerable TDM.

That's the next few years covered. After that I suspect my riding will allow for something leccy powered. Technology should match my wants by then.

Mobility scooter.
    Cool! Sounds like you've got it pretty much nailed in that you actually have a plan! I think the biggest problem would be giving up riding and not having some sort of backstop. It would be akin to retiring then keeling over because there's nothing to look forward to. My backstop is as per the attached photos. In March, my wife and I bought a new boat which was was light, easily handled by 2 oldies and virtually unsinkable. Going fishing is something we enjoy and can do together.

You mention the Simpson Desert. My old boss actually mountain biked across it in an endurance ride 5 years ago and this year at 65, he cycled the Canning Stock Route in WA. 1800 km in 21 days. He's the oldest person to have ever cycled it. He really knows how to enjoy his later years, although I'm not sure that "enjoy" is the right word
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02350.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	774.0 KB 
ID:	339932   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06835.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	984.6 KB 
ID:	339933  

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Cool! Sounds like you've got it pretty much nailed in that you actually have a plan! I think the biggest problem would be giving up riding and not having some sort of backstop. It would be akin to retiring then keeling over because there's nothing to look forward to. My backstop is as per the attached photos. In March, my wife and I bought a new boat which was was light, easily handled by 2 oldies and virtually unsinkable. Going fishing is something we enjoy and can do together.

You mention the Simpson Desert. My old boss actually mountain biked across it in an endurance ride 5 years ago and this year at 65, he cycled the Canning Stock Route in WA. 1800 km in 21 days. He's the oldest person to have ever cycled it. He really knows how to enjoy his later years, although I'm not sure that "enjoy" is the right word
    Sums up what I enjoy about off road. I love that feeling. Afterwards, over a beer.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Bucket list........

Mobility scooter.
    I'm with you on the Simpson.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Thread Information