Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Riding into old age

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    I'm with you on the Simpson.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    I was intending sharing the tent with my girlfriend.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Twos company. Three is a, um, awkward threesome.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    2004 SV650S
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    Love the SV1000 and have had V Stroms but an SV 1000 has budget suspension and appalling front brakes. So it does not compare with late model Ducatis at all. Not to mention that they stopped making it! Now if they made it again, more power, more refined susp, and modern electronics? It would sell bigtime!
    It took less than $650 to get my SV 650 sorted

Racetech front internals
    ZX-10R Rear
    and a power commander

It's more than enough bike for our roads
    102° Rx = + /_\

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    More than a few of us on KB are on the wrong side of "mature" in terms of age. Oh, ok then….. old farts. I’m 71, reasonably healthy and fit apart from knackered knees. Have been riding for 55 years apart from a shortish break when we first arrived in NZ in the mid-70’s.

I’ve had a few other interests and still do, but nothing has stirred the soul like riding a bike. Not riding would be pretty hard to take and the start of the downward slide as far as I’m concerned. Back in 2011, I made the conscious decision to stop riding like a twat and upskill with IAM. That decision was one of the best I’ve ever made and has undoubtedly extended my riding career, not to mention increasing overall enjoyment.

Ok, I’ve tidied up my riding and it’s now time to start thinking about the next steps to stay on two wheels for as long as I can. My GSX-S1000 is a great bike but it’s getting a tad heavy and slightly tall for me, especially as I’m a bit of a shortarse at 5’8” in old money and shrinking. Time to start looking at another bike which is significantly lighter and/or slightly lower.

Choosing a bike is a highly personal one based on what you want to use it for and whether you get a genuine emotional connection with it. I like the GSX-S a lot but don’t love it. It does its job well and has a hell of a performance but in-line fours don’t really do it for me any more. This time round, I still want great performance but more of an emotional connection plus the other criteria I mentioned in terms of weight and size.

The Chief Financial Officer, bless her heart, has given the nod to replace the Gixxer next year although I’ll probably wait until spring. In the meantime, I’ll chew over all the options out there. Right now, there are two bikes in the frame. The first is a Street Triple 765 R. The 675 Triple I had for 6 years was the best all-round bike I ever owned. The 765 fits all my criteria. The second possibility came from left field quite recently but the more I read, the more I love it. There’s still a bit of hooligan in me and I reckon that the KTM Duke 790 could fit the bill nicely.

The next few months will be fun organising a test ride or two and I’m looking forward to the next phase of my riding career. Any other errr… mature KB members out there going through similar thought processes to extend their riding?

As the saying goes, you don’t stop riding because you get old, you get old because you stop riding!
    Geoff

I'm glad to see that you're giving this plenty of thought. It is after all a very important choice to make. Quite apart from the two bikes you've mentioned I'd also give serious thought to the Thruxton 1200. Either the standard (As I've got) or the R model will suit your needs. They have TC and ABS as well as rider modes, all of which keep you feeling that bit safer however the bike's still a hoot to ride. Even with the standard exhaust system they sound lovely and have just enough 'throbbiness' to remind you that there's a lovely big twin pulsing away underneath you. I've spent some of the difference in the price between mine and the R model on suspension upgrades at KSS and it was money well spent IMHO. I'd urge you to at least try one before discounting them as not being suitable.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    I'd also give serious thought to the Thruxton 1200.
    I've been watching the thread from afar so to speak, but interested all the same.

Triumph have announced that from 2019 there will be a new Speed Twin with a 1200 Thruxton spec motor and a normal seating position. Possibly more suitable for geriatrics than a Thruxton.

Lotsa time to read the reviews and arrange test rides though. Have fun.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Sold
    Geoff

I'm glad to see that you're giving this plenty of thought. It is after all a very important choice to make. Quite apart from the two bikes you've mentioned I'd also give serious thought to the Thruxton 1200. Either the standard (As I've got) or the R model will suit your needs. They have TC and ABS as well as rider modes, all of which keep you feeling that bit safer however the bike's still a hoot to ride. Even with the standard exhaust system they sound lovely and have just enough 'throbbiness' to remind you that there's a lovely big twin pulsing away underneath you. I've spent some of the difference in the price between mine and the R model on suspension upgrades at KSS and it was money well spent IMHO. I'd urge you to at least try one before discounting them as not being suitable.
    Hiya Lee!

I have given serious thought to the latest Thruxton, believe me! They meet the "emotional appeal" factor, probably not the weight and height equation. I'm not discounting them at this stage and may try one if there's a demo available. However, it's hard not go past the head-bangingly insane Duke 790, at least on paper and the various videos. Jennie has the impression that a lighter, smaller capacity bike = far more suitable for an old geezer. Wonder how she got that idea?

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    I've been watching the thread from afar so to speak, but interested all the same.

Triumph have announced that from 2019 there will be a new Speed Twin with a 1200 Thruxton spec motor and a normal seating position. Possibly more suitable for geriatrics than a Thruxton.

Lotsa time to read the reviews and arrange test rides though. Have fun.
    Thanks Ron, it's a real first world problem, isn't it?

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Ron, it's a real first world problem, isn't it?
    Ah yes. A word of encouragement I received might help.

Recently I was renewing my passport so I needed to know my height, on checking the appropriate measurement I was startled to note that I'm over four inches shorter than I used to be. That didn't change no matter how many times I checked. As someone else pointed out though, the distance from my arse to the soles of my feet hasn't changed. Which would be very nearly correct.

Well, it made me feel a bit better.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Me dear old Dad, mid 70's has had a KTM 390 and 690 Duke. He didn't keep them long. 390 was a hoot but not enough oomph for distance and the 690 was a bit too head bangin. The reason he got rid of them was down to "mechanical" issues. The 390 sprung an oil leak after 2000mls and the 690 had a number of wee niggles in the first 3000mls. Loved the bikes, but. He had issues with a new multi strada, too. Starter motor would not disengage, side stand switch wire kept detaching itself, it went on.

He may just be unlucky, well, he is. Anyhoo, much to my amazement, he has ended up with a fairly early CBR 600 for his giggles. For exactly the same reasons you state, weight, seat height, comfort, engagement etc. (He owned one of the first MkI jelly moulds sold in the UK) I'm not suggesting you go down this track but it does live with 5 other bikes so he has his bases covered.

IMHO, Triumph... Moto 2 rep. If their can only be one.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    I was intending sharing the tent with my girlfriend.
    To be fair I was thinking of a solo run. And maybe hook up with a BMW rally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    To be fair I was thinking of a solo run. And maybe hook up with a BMW rally.
    Having discussed this with the better half, desert adventures, she does not seem hugely enthused. 4wd support vehicles have been mentioned...

I would love to cross one of those big deserts in Aus, but not solo, too long in the tooth and a solid awareness of my shortcomings. Set up for success is my motto.

I should imagine it's a toss up between KTM and BMW as to who would have the best catering operation.

Oh, speaking of such things. Dakar, Jan 6th. Sorry OP, off topic.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Hiya Lee!

I have given serious thought to the latest Thruxton, believe me! They meet the "emotional appeal" factor, probably not the weight and height equation. I'm not discounting them at this stage and may try one if there's a demo available. However, it's hard not go past the head-bangingly insane Duke 790, at least on paper and the various videos. Jennie has the impression that a lighter, smaller capacity bike = far more suitable for an old geezer. Wonder how she got that idea?
    A Street Cup perhaps? The Speed Twin looks to be a cracking machine too - Thruxton motor with a less leaned forward riding position and decent quality components seem to be a fabulous combination.

You truly are spoilt for choice

Bike
    '74 MV Augusta I wish
    Blog Entries
    Yep spoilt for choice all right.

Now with my pension - love saying that - been pondering bike options. Have a 94 VFR coming up to 200,000k, just fitted bar risers and a loud Delkevic can for some fun and annoy the ex(s). A dual-purpose maybe, cafe racer conversion, a classic SP1/2 perhaps. Problem is my VFR does it so well (its those gear driven cams on a gorgeous carb fed V4 and can't get around it. Yep too much choice.
    Bye the way re the accountancy thread previous

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by cheshirecat View Post
    Yep spoilt for choice all right.

Now with my pension - love saying that - been pondering bike options. Have a 94 VFR coming up to 200,000k, just fitted bar risers and a loud Delkevic can for some fun and annoy the ex(s). A dual-purpose maybe, cafe racer conversion, a classic SP1/2 perhaps. Problem is my VFR does it so well (its those gear driven cams on a gorgeous carb fed V4 and can't get around it. Yep too much choice.
    Bye the way re the accountancy thread previous
    Hahaha - my Chief Accountant is a keeper, bless her

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    A Street Cup perhaps? The Speed Twin looks to be a cracking machine too - Thruxton motor with a less leaned forward riding position and decent quality components seem to be a fabulous combination.

You truly are spoilt for choice
    They getting some decent power out of them now? May need to trade the monster...
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Thread Information