Thread: Hyosung GT250R 2007 – Bike not starting ('N' light not lit up)

Bike
    Hyosung GT250R

Hyosung GT250R 2007 – Bike not starting ('N' light not lit up)

Hey guys,

I have an issue with my GT250R where I insert the key, and turn it on – but the ‘N’ light does not lit up due to which I am not able to start the bike. When I put the bike in gear, and hold the clutch and try to start – it still does not start. It does nothing on both occasions.

Now, this was an issue in the past, where a mechanic had taken out the neutral sensor, and given it a quick wipe and it kinda worked. And usually, what I have seen is, when the bike is up and running regularly, this doesn’t happen. I also ruled out the possibility of a bad battery, as I found out my battery is dead, and got it replaced with a new MBTX12U 2 days ago – still the same issue persists.

I googled it out, and found out there might be 3 switches that might be causing it – kill switch, neutral switch and side stand switch. I do think it might be something like that (i am not a bike expert though). I could actually take it to the mechanic, except coz its chrismas time most of them are shut down for the holidays, and I was wanting to get this sorted so I could do some uber eats. So thinking of trying to fix it myself if its not that hard.

Is anyone able to tell me what could be done to fix this, or how to clean those neutral sensors? I searched everywhere on the internet, but couldnt find anything. I don’t even know what these switches look like, just because I have never done this before, but I will be able to follow instructors thoroughly.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks for your time.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    maybe the neutral light bulb itself,and that is open circuit the whole system?There is some kind of interlock with the clutch too otherwise you could start in gear with clutch pulled,or is this not possible in normal operation either??

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by manuviswan View Post
    Hey guys,

I have an issue with my GT250R where I insert the key, and turn it on – but the ‘N’ light does not lit up due to which I am not able to start the bike. When I put the bike in gear, and hold the clutch and try to start – it still does not start. It does nothing on both occasions.

Now, this was an issue in the past, where a mechanic had taken out the neutral sensor, and given it a quick wipe and it kinda worked. And usually, what I have seen is, when the bike is up and running regularly, this doesn’t happen. I also ruled out the possibility of a bad battery, as I found out my battery is dead, and got it replaced with a new MBTX12U 2 days ago – still the same issue persists.

I googled it out, and found out there might be 3 switches that might be causing it – kill switch, neutral switch and side stand switch. I do think it might be something like that (i am not a bike expert though). I could actually take it to the mechanic, except coz its chrismas time most of them are shut down for the holidays, and I was wanting to get this sorted so I could do some uber eats. So thinking of trying to fix it myself if its not that hard.

Is anyone able to tell me what could be done to fix this, or how to clean those neutral sensors? I searched everywhere on the internet, but couldnt find anything. I don’t even know what these switches look like, just because I have never done this before, but I will be able to follow instructors thoroughly.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks for your time.
    Having the Neutral light lit is NOT essential for starting the engine. Thus another issue needs to be found.

First ... check that it is in neutral and not a false neutral between gears ...

Secondly ... see if it runs ... it should easily bump start. Until it does run ... you'll be chasing shadows looking to solve your issue.

Next ... Is there power IN the battery ... ??? Does the headlight work .. ?? Is the battery connections clean and firmly tightened and seated on the battery terminals .. ???

Is the connection from the battery to/on the starter solenoid and to the starter motor clean and tight .. ??? (The starter solenoid may even be dead)

Is the kill switch set to RUN ... ??? (it may be shorting out on the bars)

Are the starter motor connections clean and tight ... ???

If a side-stand switch is fitted ... is it shorting out ... ??? Will putting the stand up and pulling the clutch in let it start ... ???

Let us know the results of these simple questions.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Red-shifted GT250R
    FJ covered pretty much all of it there, and in a fairly sensible order. Check your power and connections, as these have just been changed.

From the service manual, the starter motor will go if either:
    1. the neutral switch is on, or
    2. the clutch switch is on (clutched pulled in) AND the side stand switch is on (stand is up).

Assuming power, turn the kill switch to run, put the bike in neutral, side stand up, pull the clutch in and try to start. Note if the relay at the back clicks or not. That will tell you if the computer thinks it is allowed to start or not, or that the kill switch is infected with electrical blight, or that the starter motor fuse is blown.

Since your neutral switch is probably buggered, given the history and problem description, the issue probably lies in the side stand or clutch switch.

The side stand switch fails quite often on these bikes. Try CRC on the switch and toggle it a lot. It has a plug just before it enters the loom - LHS of the bike behind a frame member. You can unplug it and short a piece of wire between the two terminals (loom side!) to mimic the switch being on (stand up). It's a known get-me-home repair and takes 5-15 minutes on a GV. You can also test the switch here with a multimeter, if that is your thing.

Ditto for the clutch switch, which fails sometimes. CRC and jiggle. It has a plug that can be modded or checked as above. It's somewhere near the loom just behind the headstock.

Thread Information