Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Decision indecision.

Bike
    CX500

Decision indecision.

So, now that I got two bikes (well, 3 bikes but ones not in working order so w/e) I've been trying to get my current project SRV250 finished.
    I'm currently painting the tank. I've done all the sanding, removed the dents, I've even put on 4 layers of primer. It's baby bum smooth and ready to paint.
    I can't for the life of me decide on a pattern. The colour is baby blue and white, but what pattern to go for is tripping me up.

So the top two contenders are this style with the white in the knee indents...

and the white being on the main bit of the tank...

But it's also like, what about a white strip down the top of the tank slightly off center to be in line with the gas lid. Maybe a pin stripe either side of this.
    BUT what about option 1 AND the stripe? would that be too much?

There's also other options such as half/half with top half being blue bottom half being white. The whole top being white. Something like this...

or maybe even a fat strip across the tank like this...

Oh, and it'll have a small cowl on the back (which will be the baby blue) and two side fairings (which will also be baby blue).

Decisions, decisions KB... and yes I realize I probably should have figured this out before I decided to paint the tank but in my defense the primer is gonna take a couple days to cure. You know, it's not like I've been wrestling with this decision since June or anything...help

Bike
    Yo momma
    I'll bet you have a beard. All those bikes look like gay hipster crap.
    Merry Christmas.

Bike
    CX500
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    I'll bet you have a beard. All those bikes look like gay hipster crap.
    Merry Christmas.
    I don't actually. Though, I bet you have a micro-penis that results in an inability to satisfy women in bed which in turn makes you question your masculinity.

Merry Christmas to you too.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Cool rides.

I like the first one - and the play on the 'Norton/Yamaha' logo is brilliant.

It will depend on the style you have built the bike - tracker, brat, cafe etc .

If sporty also consider the tried and true racing stripe - there are dozens of variations on the theme. And given it is a Yammy why not a nod to the factory broken racing stripe. See red/white below - just go blue with white stripe.

Or the blue base and use the tuning fork logo as your white accent on the tank.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blue paint.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	177.3 KB 
ID:	339942   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yamaha-xs-400-15-625x417.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	339943  

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fresh Oats View Post
    I don't actually. Though, I bet you have a micro-penis that results in an inability to satisfy women in bed which in turn makes you question your masculinity.

YOU asked for opinions ... HE gave his. If you don't like it ... Your issue not his.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    I'm detecting some end of year stress on KB ..

OP asked a reasonable question about his build. I'd like to see more build posts going on on KB.

Bike
    Yo momma

My penis is fucking enormous and is a joy to play with!

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    I'm detecting some end of year stress on KB ..

OP asked a reasonable question about his build. I'd like to see more build posts going on on KB.
    OP's should be able to delete the stupid comments ( which is most of them).
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    OP's should be able to delete the stupid comments ( which is most of them).
    But there would be nothing left...

Bike
    CX500
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Cool rides.

I like the first one - and the play on the 'Norton/Yamaha' logo is brilliant.

It will depend on the style you have built the bike - tracker, brat, cafe etc .

If sporty also consider the tried and true racing stripe - there are dozens of variations on the theme. And given it is a Yammy why not a nod to the factory broken racing stripe. See red/white below - just go blue with white stripe.

Or the blue base and use the tuning fork logo as your white accent on the tank.
    It's going to be a cafe racer (he says oiling his stubble). It's got clubman bars on it already and bar-end wing mirrors. I'm going to remove the paint off the controls and polish them up (they're steel, not plastic so that will look quiet nice I think) and I have new levers (silver) and grips (very light baby blue, almost grey) and speedo (black). Going to move the ignition to under the tank, so that will leave the front end clean and minimal with just a speedo and headlight. Frame will be powder coated black. Engine will be painted black except the header cover things which I will have rechromed, and the edge of the fin things, the top large ones, will be polished exposed steel. Bottom half of the front forks will be black. New small silver indicators. I'll make a custom seat which will be black with light blue stitching. (though this is also up for debate because I have been thinking about maybe doing a white seat.). Small rear cowl, same blue as tank and maybe some white depending on tank pattern. Side mounted number plate which will be attached via removed passenger peg mount. Black exhaust wrap (applies more oil to stubble) with shortie silver exhausts. And I'm having some custom side fairings made up by my bike dude which will be thin steel that will be flush with the frame (as opposed to the original which are hideous and bulge out). Rear black taillight under the cowl and I haven't decided where I'm going to put the reflector yet, if I'm going to incorporate it into the seat cowl or have it mounted somewhere with the number plate (though probably not because the NP needs to be lit up by a light so reflector and light might not mix).

So that's what I'm doing.

Hmm, I do quiet like the style of the blue one. I'm not a fan of the broken racing stripe.

Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    YOU asked for opinions ... HE gave his. If you don't like it ... Your issue not his.
    I asked for opinions on paint patterns. Of which he did not give I might add.
    He made assumptions about me that I'm a bearded hipster because I like cafe racer style bikes. I simple made an assumption in return about him that he has a micro-dick and is self conscious about his masculinity because his girlfriend told me last night. Both assumptions are based on nothing, I mean she could be making it all up. But it's called banter. Good ol' kiwi insult humor banter. I aint got a problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbo View Post
    Hmm, I'm not sure it would work on my style of tank. I have the knee indents.
    Thanks for the suggestion though.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    I asked for opinions on paint patterns. Of which he did not give I might add.
    He gave his opinion ... the subject matter is HIS choice ... this is KB after all ...

He made assumptions about me that I'm a bearded hipster because I like cafe racer style bikes.
    Prove he was wrong ...

I simple made an assumption in return about him that he has a micro-dick and is self conscious about his masculinity because his girlfriend told me last night.
    Your mother was with me last night ... she told me ALL about your boyfriends ... they ALL have beards ... did he hit a nerve ... maybe ..

Both assumptions are based on nothing, I mean she could be making it all up.
    Assumptions are the mother of all fuck-ups ... and your mother did say you were a bit of a fuck-up.

Perhaps she under-stated your description a bit ...

But it's called banter. Good ol' kiwi insult humor banter. I aint got a problem with it.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Exercycle
    Some of the suggested removal of paint/polishing of pieces revealed a slight lack of knowledge of just what materials you're dealing with....

I can tell you from experience too that painting an engine but having polished fin edges aint as easy as it looks....particularly if it's done in one piece.

But hey, good luck, you can only learn....

Bike
    Yo momma

I'm a bearded hipster
    I thought I recognized you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TCJIPDR5LBA73ITB2NFU5MYBOI.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	339949  

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    I have some sympathy for the OP, he did ask a sensible question. My only problem is that what he calls a cafe racer is not recognisable as such to me, nor I suspect to others.

In the interests of science I just did a Google image search for "cafe racer motorcycle". Sadly a depressingly large number look like the abominations favoured by our OP. Ah well I guess it would have been silly to expect a mass of Tritons, Tribsas and Norvins.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Thread Information