Thread: Suzuki Burgman 650 - Who's ridden or owned one? What did you think?

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650

Suzuki Burgman 650 - Who's ridden or owned one? What did you think?

Hi All

It may be the Xmas spirit that is getting to me but I'm thinking of getting a Suzuki Burgman 650. Scooterazzi in Wellington have a new one in and I'm looking to get a bike that can do the work commute (From Trentham to Wellington CBD), get me to Wellington Airport as well as do my IAM rides/observing with. Requirements are covered/secure storage, good weather protection and ease of use. The ability to make good progress at open road speeds is a must too.

I owned a Honda Silverwing 600 scooter back in 2007-2009 and really enjoyed it so I know what I'm getting myself into here. I'm after ride reports/reviews from the good folk on KB and any info as to what's good and perhaps not so good about them.

Oh and I fully expect some ribbing from the IAM regulars too. In fact I'll be disappointed if they don't rise to the bait. Fortunately I'm secure in my sexuality/own skin to know the sense these things make. So, fire away!

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01
    I've never ridden one but I've been keen to for a while...

THIS guy has!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAbQO5QtN-o
    2001 Ducati 996S || 2008 Yamaha CygnusX
    FaceBrick

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by WALRUS View Post

THIS guy has!!

Bassid! I wanted to post that.

My only real world experience of a Burgman was in Germany. I was trying to do 100 miles in an hour, felt pretty smug with the big twin thundering away. Until the guy on the Burgman, in shorts and jandals, came past while he was texting.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by WALRUS View Post

THIS guy has!!

Blimey! I've just watched that... The guy's lucky to be alive... It just goes to show you that it's better to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow!

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Well I collect the Burgman 650 tomorrow so I'll let you know how I get on with it. As with any new machine I'm looking forward to getting to know it.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    Oh and I fully expect some ribbing from the IAM regulars too. In fact I'll be disappointed if they don't rise to the bait. Fortunately I'm secure in my sexuality/own skin to know the sense these things make. So, fire away!
    Tsk, tsk Lee - as if

I've ridden scooters up in Rarotonga and the Piaggio MP3 for a short ride courtesy of KB'er Moi. Had a lot of fun so you won't get any piss-taking from me . Also there was a regular on the Grand Challenge and Southern Cross rides who had a Yamaha T Max and that showed up a lot of bigger bikes.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Hello All

Well I've done some 1800 miles on my Burgman 650 (It's a US-spec bike so has the odometer reading in miles - Plus the outside air temperature readout is in Farinheight which is a bit odd) now and thus far I'm extremely pleased with it.

The Good

It's comfy and the weather protection is truly excellent. There's enough power to keep up with traffic and get away from the lights sharpish should you need to and the 'Power' mode on the CVT transmission really does help when you need more instant get-up-and-go.

The heated seat and grips have come in rather handy too

Plus I'm getting 14+miles per litre out of it which equates to 60-65 Mpg in old money or well over 20 Km/liter which is a definite improvement on the Silverwing I owned some 10 years ago.

Oh and the mirrors are the best I've used on any bike ever. The ability to fold them in at the touch of a button comes in handy when filtering too.

The not-so-good

The only colour they had was matt grey which like all matt colour finishes isn't the most visible to other road users. Plus riders of 'Real' bikes seem to be compelled to make sure they overtake you just to show you how manly/cool they are.

All in all I'd highly recommend a big scoot. Like most bikes they open your eyes to a different type of riding and are a lot like a 'Normal' bike only with added usefulness.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Hello All

Well I've done some 1800 miles on my Burgman 650 (It's a US-spec bike so has the odometer reading in miles - Plus the outside air temperature readout is in Farinheight which is a bit odd) now and thus far I'm extremely pleased with it.

The Good

It's comfy and the weather protection is truly excellent. There's enough power to keep up with traffic and get away from the lights sharpish should you need to and the 'Power' mode on the CVT transmission really does help when you need more instant get-up-and-go.

The heated seat and grips have come in rather handy too

Plus I'm getting 14+miles per litre out of it which equates to 60-65 Mpg in old money or well over 20 Km/liter which is a definite improvement on the Silverwing I owned some 10 years ago.

Oh and the mirrors are the best I've used on any bike ever. The ability to fold them in at the touch of a button comes in handy when filtering too.

The not-so-good

The only colour they had was matt grey which like all matt colour finishes isn't the most visible to other road users. Plus riders of 'Real' bikes seem to be compelled to make sure they overtake you just to show you how manly/cool they are.

All in all I'd highly recommend a big scoot. Like most bikes they open your eyes to a different type of riding and are a lot like a 'Normal' bike only with added usefulness.
    Dont let them get to you mate, recently traded my beloved Bandit for an Africa Twin, wow, best part, shes a DCT jobbie, so, gears, if I want, otherwise cruise and squirt, she does it all, being so tall you literally look over cars in front, cruises beautifully and I'm geting an average of 4.5 Litres to the 100 K's or old money 60 miles per gallon. Took 3 different screens before I found the one that stopped the buffetting, otherwise I want for nothing, goes very well in sport mode!.
    Enjoy. PS: Ridden a mates 650 Bergy a while back, awesome cruisers they are.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    When I was living in Auckland I bought a Burgman 400, it was a great city commuter - with enough speed to handle the motorway with ease. There were times I wished I had a 650 for the extra oomph though. To get around Auckland or Wellington I think a Burgman 650 would be a great choice, the little scooters just don't have what's needed on the motorways.

On the open road the Burgman 400 was a little under-powered, always feeling like it was way up towards its limit. A 650 makes a great small-mid size tourer, pretty capable for longer trips. I did once do a longer trip on the 400, Auckland to Winchester and back - it did fine except for uphill against a gail-force wind where it couldn't maintain the speed limit, a 650 would have coped fine with that though.

Anyway, have fun on your grunty city bike!
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Yep - It's a real alternative to medium sized tourers as well as being a cracking commuter. Plus I find that you feel no need to rush along when you're out on the open road.

Caseye - I've always been curious about the DCT-equipped Hondas. I always wanted to try and VFR1200 with the DCT transmission and I'd imagine that the Afrca Twin is a really interesting machine too.

Another pleasant side effect is that the power delivery in standard 'Drive' mode is nice and smooth which works well when you're on wet/slippery roads too. All in all a remarkably enjoyable machine to own/ride.

Viva la difference!

Bike
    motocompo

And that there sums up big scooters.

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Just wanted to put in a similar plug for the Honda NC bikes in the same context - also really useful commuters with extra storage and available in DCT and in full scooter dress overseas.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-Honda-NC750X-DCT4.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	273.8 KB 
ID:	341595

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-Honda-Integra1.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	245.7 KB 
ID:	341594
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Thread Information