Thread: New Member

Bike
    Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat

Hi folks,

A returning kiwi who's been living in the UK for the past 7 years, I did the DAS over there and had been riding solidly for 1.5 years up until July this year when I sold the Yamaha Thundercat I owned.

I'm looking for a solid cheap bike, 600cc+, sport/sport tourer so prefer it faired but don't mind naked for around $3-5k. Would prefer not to have to search far and wide for parts so if it's a model that has parts in the plentiful that would be great. If you've had good experiences with a particular model here please feel free to make suggestions!

I'm in the Wellington area, I've spotted a high km's GSXR on trademe and thinking about going and having a look at it; Suzuki's seem popular here? There are also a load of the SV's on trademe as well, are these quite popular too?

Also, converted my license over the other day, thankfully I had managed to wait until I had had the license for over 2 years otherwise I would have had to have re-sat the tests here!

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Battletack View Post
    Hi folks,

A returning kiwi who's been living in the UK for the past 7 years, I did the DAS over there and had been riding solidly for 1.5 years up until July this year when I sold the Yamaha Thundercat I owned.

I'm looking for a solid cheap bike, 600cc+, sport/sport tourer so prefer it faired but don't mind naked for around $3-5k. Would prefer not to have to search far and wide for parts so if it's a model that has parts in the plentiful that would be great. If you've had good experiences with a particular model here please feel free to make suggestions!

I'm in the Wellington area, I've spotted a high km's GSXR on trademe and thinking about going and having a look at it; Suzuki's seem popular here? There are also a load of the SV's on trademe as well, are these quite popular too?

Also, converted my license over the other day, thankfully I had managed to wait until I had had the license for over 2 years otherwise I would have had to have re-sat the tests here!
    Welcome!

It's not in your area but I know of a faired SV650 S for sale in your price range. The owner is a personal friend so I know it's been well looked after. Paintwork excellent and although it has high ks, it's mechanically sound and doesn't burn oil. The SV is being sold on behalf at a motorcycle shop in Paeroa where my mate bought his new bike from. Can put you in touch if you can't find anything closer.

Cheers,

Geoff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tony.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	392.0 KB 
ID:	340079   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tony.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	508.6 KB 
ID:	340224  

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Welcome home.

As someone from the UK who moved here nearly 3-and-a-half years ago I can relate to your experiences with the licence. Quite an easy process all told.

As Geoff says the SV is a good bike and they seem to be popular here. If Geoff vouches for it then it'll be a good bike and the SV will satisfy what you say you want from the bike.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Welcome!

It's not in your area but I know of a faired SV650 S for sale in your price range. The owner is a personal friend so I know it's been well looked after. Paintwork excellent and although it has high ks, it's mechanically sound and doesn't burn oil. The SV is being sold on behalf at a motorcycle shop in Paeroa where my mate bought his new bike from. Can put you in touch if you can't find anything closer.

Cheers,

Geoff
    Thanks Geoff,

Actually looks like a nice bike!

I've got a couple of leads here to follow up on closer to home and and I'll PM you depending on where they end up. I'm sure I would make the distance work so no worries there.

There is a SV1000n down this way that I planning on having a look at in the next couple of weeks; I'm going to have a google, but is there anything in particular, any weird quirks aside from the usual that I should look out for on these?

Bike
    Sold
    Thanks Geoff,

I've got a couple of leads here to follow up on closer to home and and I'll PM you depending on where they end up. I'm sure I would make the distance work so no worries there.

There is a SV1000n down this way that I planning on having a look at in the next couple of weeks; I'm going to have a google, but is there anything in particular, any weird quirks aside from the usual that I should look out for on these?
    I've never owned one so don't know if there are any quirks with either the 650 or the 1000 but there are people on the forum who have owned them. However, they're fairly low tech and bullet-proof. The owner of the one in the photo never had any issues in several years of ownership. It's only been used for longer distance commuting and his voluntary work with the Institute of Advanced Motorists, not hammered or dropped.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Thanks Geoff,

I owned a 2016 model Suzuki VStrom for a while - It was ruddy brilliant and the engine (A slightly detuned version of what's in the SV) was perhaps the best bit of it. From memory the SV makes around 75Bhp at the crank so isn't hugely stressed. Plus there are bits for it all over the place and the other chassis parts are widely available. It won't have the top end rush your Thundercat had but on a twisty road the SV is perfectly fast enough.

Bike
    2011 Suziki V strom 650
    Blog Entries
    I've owned a DL650 vstrom for the last 7.5 years and I've only had to change consumables. I also "raced" a naked curvy sv650 for a few years without any engine problems and commuted for 3 years between portsmouth and Heathrow every day on a pointy sv650s with only regular servicing and consumables. Brilliant capable workhorses. Now my only decision is whether to keep it when I buy a new bike or trade it in.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Legalise anarchy

Bike
    Street Triple R
    I owned a SV650 (non faired one) and my mate had an SV1000 (faired) that I rode extensively. Their reputation as a great bike is well deserved (particularly at the price - Ithink I paid $10k brand new for mine). The main issue with the SV's new and now they are ten years old will be the suspension was budget to start with and will be bad now if nothing has been done. Good news is you can apply money and fix it right up. I would look at a Hagon shock (or equivalent mid-budget job) and a fork rebuild and emulators. If it has a stock pipe still just be aware you have to cut it if you want to put a can on it but you might be able to pick up a full system from (say) a racer. Great bike honestly. I sold mine to buy my Street Triple (NO RAGERTS - I still own it) but it was a much more expensive bike
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    I had an SV1000S. When I sold it, it had 110,000 km on the clock and it was still running fine.

It wasn't the best at commuting, as it was a typical lumpy twin at low revs and the clutch gave the hand a very good workout. But, it was fantastic for longer trips on the open road and it handled surprisingly well too.

It ate rear tyres for breakfast, lunch and dinner though!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Bike
    Well I ended up with a Triumph Street Triple 675. Wasn't something I was looking for particularly but when you know, you know, then you buy it...

Done 60k on the clock; full service history up until now; a load of extras; ohlins rear shock; heated grips, tail tidy, rather loud scorpion, a ELM327 thing I don't know what to do with yet...

Handles really well needs a bit of tlc; actually technically needs a rather hefty 60k service but other than the basics I'm tempted to leave the valve clearances and cam shaft timing for the next service which get done again then anyway and they've already been done on a previous service... Anyway, will see how I go, if it starts to sound like it's getting lumpy then I'll take her in. So it was priced with that in mind at $5k.

Its a nice middle of the road, power across the range, great handling, great seating position and the extras made it very well suited for some touring and street work. I'm not quite convinced that the bars are narrow enough for proper london style filtering but I'm sure I'll work it out. I've only ridden it home so far but I gave it some beans up the mount vic ridge line on a test ride and it was great.

So look forward to having some fun around Wellington!

I did Bike Safe London which was really good; so I'm going to sign up for the Ride for ever course too when I've got some time.

Anyway, great to talk - thanks!

Bike
    Sold
    Well I ended up with a Triumph Street Triple 675. Wasn't something I was looking for particularly but when you know, you know, then you buy it...

I did Bike Safe London which was really good; so I'm going to sign up for the Ride for ever course too when I've got some time.
    Excellent choice! Had my 675 for 6 years and sold it with over 70k on the clock and it still ran perfectly. Would have replaced it with the 765 if they hadn't delayed the launch. If it's any good to you, my long term review: http://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2010/...revisited.html . I also did the annual 1600 km in under 24 hours ride on it and it was the most comfortable bike I'd done the event on.

Good move with Ride Forever! Wellington also has an active branch of IAM if you want to keep upskilling.

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    Welcome to the 675 club!

The Street triple is a fantastic all-rounder and can do pretty much anything that you ask of it.

Backing up the previous post, I did 1300km in a day recently and comfort wasn't an issue at all.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thread Information