Thread: Benelli TRK 502x or Honda CRF250L

Bike
    Nothing right now 😔

Benelli TRK 502x or Honda CRF250L

Hi folks

Wanting to hear from others on any of these bikes. Looking at a return to riding after a 3-year absence and am wanting something for the occasional commute, would like to get in to more off-road fun around the Waikato.

Have a budget of $10K I’m trying to work to. Am a shortie, 165cm, so keen to hear from any others around this height that have made the Honda work.

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    xtz125

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    There's quite a lot of coverage on the Benelli, with the X model getting some good reviews. The standard TRK isn't that much different and is a bit cheaper too if I remember correctly.

The CRF is significantly less powerful - On YouTube there's a blogger called 'The Missenden Flyer' who runs one in the UK. It'll be worth looking at his channel for some more info on that bike.

Personally I'd go for the extra power of the Benelli, providing you have access to a dealer whom you like and trust. We're only talking 47 Bhp so it's not going to pull your arms off and that sort of power gives you more options with regards to open road riding too.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    lighter bike is way more fun off-road................ crackup watching 1200GS / triumph whatevers "carve" up gravel roads -- the things are sledges, just too heavy for the ratting snaking NZ gravel roads --- and when they lock up and slide over and can't get the bike off them..... crackup

TBH a dr650 would be great for your purposes, and cheap + free tank at the moment with a low cost of ownership and value retention (something you won't get from Benelli -- Chinese manufactured bike)

Bike
    Nothing right now 😔
    thanks Scubbo for the pointer on the Suzuki. I had looked at this but like the Honda, I'm not sure if at 165cm the seat height of 845mm is going to be too much? I've had a baby GS way back in 2005, the F650GS which had a seat height from memory of 780mm and I think that was about right....or am I missing something?? Cheers

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by matt_77 View Post
    ... Have a budget of $10K I’m trying to work to. Am a shortie, 165cm, so keen to hear from any others around this height that have made the Honda work.
    Do a tour of the bike shops and tell them you intended use for a bike ... and ask what they have in stock that will fill the bill ... test ride them all to get a better idea of whats out there. And why not another F650 ... ???
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    If you’re willing to go the Chinese manufacturer route, here’s another option (cf moto have been trying to sell bikes here for a while, more successful in Oz though I think)

http://www.cfmoto.co.nz/650_MT_ABS_2019(NZ) but you’ll probably get no resale (and I couldn’t find any on Trademe).

Are the new Royal Enfields pretty established here now? I’ve seen quite a few around Auckland, you could consider their adventure version:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...bafe45fd298442
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-CFMoto-650MT-side-blue-black-1500x1000.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	187.7 KB 
ID:	340112  
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    Nothing right now 😔
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd View Post
    If you’re willing to go the Chinese manufacturer route, here’s another option (cf moto have been trying to sell bikes here for a while, more successful in Oz though I think)

http://www.cfmoto.co.nz/650_MT_ABS_2019(NZ) but you’ll probably get no resale (and I couldn’t find any on Trademe).

Are the new Royal Enfields pretty established here now? I’ve seen quite a few around Auckland, you could consider their adventure version:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...bafe45fd298442
    I've also considered the RE Himalayan and would, but for nervousness around the build quality, etc. Good ol' Dr Google throws up some interesting comments and threads around this model. Do you know/have you heard good/bag/ugly??

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    I've also considered the RE Himalayan and would, but for nervousness around the build quality, etc. Good ol' Dr Google throws up some interesting comments and threads around this model. Do you know/have you heard good/bag/ugly??
    Nothing first hand, I trawl the adventure rider threads sometimes and there seem to be some pretty satisfied owners on there, but being the internet...ymmv.

That Tradme listing says it has a 2 year warranty so you should be covered for most issues...but who wants to be without a bike while they fix stuff.

Coincidentally I had that experience when I bought my f650cs, no bike for four weeks (from memory) soon after I bought it while something was being fixed - it was used though.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    You looked at a swm super dual?
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    Nothing right now 😔
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    You looked at a swm super dual?
    Hadn't heard of these guys but having a good look now......first glance, quite an interesting bike (the enduro). Price will take me outside of the budget i've set myself....

Bike
    Blog Entries
    stick with the CRF250L non-rally version then I reckon, --- Honda'd sell more of the 250's if they kept bringing those L's in instead of the rally version which is less off-road worthy and heavier (since the 250L got the same engine/airbox upgrades as the rally, without all the added useless shit) --- a neat bike that can take a hit and keep on ticking and light enough to pickup and go places you'd think twice about on a bigger bike --- go have some fun!

if touring at 100KPH isnt a must, i'd still say an XTZ125, cheap/reliable/invincible/capable up to 90KPH all day every day and gets 30KM/L oh and light @ ~120KG wet

Bike
    Street Triple R
    thanks Scubbo for the pointer on the Suzuki. I had looked at this but like the Honda, I'm not sure if at 165cm the seat height of 845mm is going to be too much? I've had a baby GS way back in 2005, the F650GS which had a seat height from memory of 780mm and I think that was about right....or am I missing something?? Cheers
    I am about your height and have a short inseam length as well. DR650's can have lowering links fitted, and/or drop the forks through the clamps (dont forget to alter the sidestand) and they respond well to having the seat sculpted and re-covered if necessary.

Find a triumph dealer and have a sit on a Triumph Street Scrambler. I really like them and I reckon it would be fine on a gravel road. I used to own an 865 Triumph Scrambler and really liked it. I am waiting for a second hand one at present because I dont see it as a $16k motorcycle.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    2009 Husqvarna SM610ie
    WR250R with motard and dirt wheels. Sorted.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...08614a4da6ae35

Thread Information