Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Shock Absorbers

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries

Car Shock Absorbers

Ok so I know squat about cars having just bought my 2nd after a gap of 30 years. I've replaced shocks in both Van's, current one twice and both wifeys cars (that's one wife, two cars, although irrelevant to the general thread) . Used to have access to kybs at a good price.

So the new car is white and has a wheel at every corner. It gets used to commute and family holidays. I initially thought that it had surprisingly tight suspension as it has naff all body roll. But get the speed up over bumps and on longer drives and the remaining oil calls time and the wheels start skipping about. Tyre wear has been scary.

So I'm assuming the sway bars or whatever and spring rates are perfectly good for our windy hill, choppy roads. Not interested in trying to get any excitement from a car. Ok it's an Atenza which is like a 10 yr old Mazda 6 import.

I'll keep it for a good while so I want something that will last I dunno another 80,000ks like it's just about to clock over, actually the van has done 150k on current shocks and they aren't too bad.

So what should I buy that will be comfortable, keep the wheels where I want them, and last ok without being too spendy?

I'll probably pay someone to put them in as I'd rather spend my time riding or working on my project bikes.

Oh yeah. YouTube. Looks easier with a hoist.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Monroe car shocks have been around for a long time and appear to be a common 'go to' name. Like most things automotive they start at 'standard' factory equivalent and go up to fancy adjustable this and that versions.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Let your fingers do the walking ... there's one shop near you ...

An E.mail or phone call might give you a good idea from those that know about these things ...

The Atenza's are pretty trendy nowadays ... so they would have seen a few.

https://shockshop.co.nz/shock-absorbers
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Monroe car shocks have been around for a long time and appear to be a common 'go to' name. Like most things automotive they start at 'standard' factory equivalent and go up to fancy adjustable this and that versions.
    Yeah and that's what I don't know. I put the budget Munroes on one of my vans and I think they were shagged in , well some amount of time. Guess they are plain damper rod shocks. Wifeys Corolla got slightly flashier Munroes and they made a huge improvement. That mechanic is gone so can't ask him. I paid no attention as, you know its a car and shit just paid the bill.

Thought someone might have some actual understanding, like I would with bike shocks, before I pop in the couple of places down the road so at least have some reference.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Yeah and that's what I don't know. I put the budget Munroes on one of my vans and I think they were shagged in , well some amount of time. Guess they are plain damper rod shocks. Wifeys Corolla got slightly flashier Munroes and they made a huge improvement. That mechanic is gone so can't ask him. I paid no attention as, you know its a car and shit just paid the bill.

Thought someone might have some actual understanding, like I would with bike shocks, before I pop in the couple of places down the road so at least have some reference.
    I think the Moroe GT were twin tube gas.
    Bilsteins were the go to for the rally guys single tube deign.
    All the local cop cars here had Konis put in from new.
    there is an Assue crowd that made shocks modern shim dampers resonable at the time price SVO i think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I know a guy who does testing for all the cop cars to bring them up to spec. They do some crazy shit, but he'd know exactly what they run. That said they spend taxpayer dollars and I don't think my budget is on the same level.

Bike
    husaberg
    I know a guy who does testing for all the cop cars to bring them up to spec. They do some crazy shit, but he'd know exactly what they run. That said they spend taxpayer dollars and I don't think my budget is on the same level.
    I think they have to keep em std now.
    They used to do all poly bushes sway bars etc as well.

I think it was AVO i was meaning not SVO
    Turns out they are pommy but sold in aussie
    http://www.avoaustralia.com.au/pricelist.htm
    Variety of designs and adjustability inc coil overs but rebuild-able.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    R100GSPD
    your knowledge of motorbike shocks is applicable to the car.Visits a couple of local shock shops and ask....get some quotes.The place that did the shocks in the van will be able to tell you what they are,if you take the van in.Then get the same sorta shocks to suit the madaz

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Shockshop local place $1300 for Munroes, seem to be emulsion shocks with spring blow off. Pretty dark ages. Looks like I can Trademe the same shock (but need to confirm) from Partmaster for $206 per front free shipping, his was $250 + gst, but didn't end up itemised, just memory. Hate the whole bang gst thing on the end like an after excuse when dealing with the public, just be honest what the cost is.

Think I'll be asking local mechanic fitment price.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Shockshop local place $1300 for Munroes, seem to be emulsion shocks with spring blow off. Pretty dark ages. Looks like I can Trademe the same shock (but need to confirm) from Partmaster for $206 per front free shipping, his was $250 + gst, but didn't end up itemised, just memory. Hate the whole bang gst thing on the end like an after excuse when dealing with the public, just be honest what the cost is.

Think I'll be asking local mechanic fitment price.
    Online ... USA I think ... ???

https://www.autozone.com/suspension-...-front/mazda/6
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Shockshop local place $1300 for Munroes,
    Supercheap Auto advertise KYB, prices vary according to car model.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Any shock with KY in the name should have very low friction .....

Repco do a in house range complete with spring at reasonable prices - especially of they have a sale on. No ideal if any good but they have Aussie sourcing ability and there are a few Auss made brands that appear to get decent reports on the web pages.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    I think they have to keep em std now.
    They're all lease cars so I doubt they dick with them

We used to fit heaps on Munroe but most of that was Budget related as they were cheaper, expected lifespan of most of the brands used to be about the 40k mark, if the shocks are rooted then anything will improve it, make sure you do an alignment after they're fitted
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

We used to fit heaps on Munroe but most of that was Budget related as they were cheaper, expected lifespan of most of the brands used to be about the 40k mark, if the shocks are rooted then anything will improve it, make sure you do an alignment after they're fitted
    Yip if our lease companies any thing to go by they even sign off on the tyres (for safety we pay for them) and refuse to allow stuff like interior lights to be fixed
    The company that owns Monroe brought Marccozhi about 10 years ago then they shut them down a couple of years ago.
    I thought they would have been alright as they did MTB stuff and all the mini MX bikes had them
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

I've seen videos over beers, of brake testing and what they upgrade the Mouldens.

Thread Information