Thread: Insurance help needed...

Bike
    Suzuki GSX-R1000 A L8

Insurance help needed...

Just about to buy a "new 2018/2019" bike. Haven't been riding for a good couple of years now and I don't really know who's who or what prices from which insurance company are best..
    Bikes are the Suzuki GSX-R1000 A (std model) and/or GSX-S1000 FA - as I said above, brand NEW. I'd appreciate a bit of help selecting a good price and excess charge and the company name of your choice. Can you quote your prices or what you would suggest so I can compare - if it's allowed in here without breaking any rules etc..??

I live in Auckland and am more than "old enough" to qualify for low excess etc (well at least I'm not a hard charging young guy who wants to push it along everywhere/every time).. Probably been riding for more years than some of you have been alive hahaha...
    TIA...

ManyRevs

Bike
    '08 Wee
    From my experience Kiwibike are still the way to go. While they are brokers they will get you a solid deal. You can chuck in yours and the bikes details on their site and get a quick quote.

Bike
    Sold
    +1 with Kiwibike - excellent to deal with. Enjoy your bike selection. I have the naked GSX-S 1000. There's a very good forum for them (https://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/) . You may or may not experience a snatchy throttle at low openings which can be sorted. Other than that, value for money.

Bike
    2002 KTM 640 Adventure

Kiwibike for sure...

One of the very very few that can do a multi bike policy without having to load each and EVERY bike into the quote....
    Awesome customer service.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    On Go-Lightly motorcycle policy (underwritten by Vero). Premiums are as good as I had quoted elsewhere (still too much!)

I've not had to use it but others I know have and had good service.

Also ask the bike shop if they are offering anything - they often have decent cover and pricing.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    On Go-Lightly motorcycle policy (underwritten by Vero).
    The now defunct Honda Riders Club used them IIRC and on the occasion I had to deal with them they were excellent. Totally different to any experience I'd had with Insurance companies previously.

At one point the dealer principal told me, "I've got two insurance claims on my desk. One I have to fight for every cent we want to spend. Yours just phoned and asked, 'Is the customer happy?'
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by manyrevs View Post
    Probably been riding for more years than some of you have been alive hahaha...
    TIA...
    Don't bet on that...
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    Suzuki GSX-R1000 A L8
    Thanks for those replies guys, that'll give me something to consider in the next day or two...

Slofox,
    ahh ok, that's why I used the words "some of you", it gives me lots of room to back up a bit - hahahah.. Nice to know that there may be a few older guys still around to chat to every now and then. I don't seem to see many older guys zapping up and down the motorway nowadays on weekends etc, well at least ones who aren't on Harley's etc. They mostly look at least half my age, but just because I'll wind up with a GSX-R, that doesn't mean I'm going to be expecting to rule the roads. I learned long ago that going too fast too often can some times mean losing skin and breaking bones etc.. Na, I just love sports bikes, always have done, always will..

After a serious operation a handful of years back (nothing to do with bikes), I promised myself that I would get back on a bike when I was fit enough, and also that one day I would buy one of these 1 litre rocket ships. It took me a handful of years to get back to some sort of fitness, so I bought 2 1000cc lesser powerful bikes to start off with then had to sell up for a while, but now it's time to fully live up to that promise. It's going to happen - real soon, I can promise you that...!!!

The only thing against me I guess, would be my age. I'm not old old yet but I guess I am sort of young old now. Got a couple more years to work then I can retire and ride into the sunset in peace, so it's time to make hay while that sun is still shining..

Cheers and nice to make the contact,,

ManyRevs

Bike
    Sold
    Thanks for those replies guys, that'll give me something to consider in the next day or two...

The only thing against me I guess, would be my age. I'm not old old yet but I guess I am sort of young old now. Got a couple more years to work then I can retire and ride into the sunset in peace, so it's time to make hay while that sun is still shining..

Cheers and nice to make the contact,,

ManyRevs
    Age working against you?? Get a grip I'm 71 and still loving sport-oriented bikes (with slightly lowered pegs, haha). I think time is on your side

Bike
    Suzuki GSX-R1000 A L8
    I hear you...

ManyRevs

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600

Slofox,
    ahh ok, that's why I used the words "some of you", it gives me lots of room to back up a bit - hahahah..

There's lots of us here who push the numbers up a bit.

I turned 70 September last and still ride a GSR-R600. Which I love to ride. It's like wearing a wing suit at ground level.

I bought it with 9000k on the clock in 2010. It now has 98000k on it. Best piece of technology I ever got my hands on and they will have to chop off my arms to make me let it go. Course, I did start out with an Ariel 350cc single...so no wonder the gixxer feels so good.

I can't be trying too hard since I have been riding some 50 years and ain't dead yet.

Take care and enjoy the new bike.

Oh and yes, Kiwibike are good.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    What's 'young old' now days?

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    What's 'young old' now days?
    Hard to say. I'll be 75 in a few days but I'm too young to own a cruiser.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Suzuki GSX-R1000 A L8
    Na, nothing wrong with a few years under your belt I have to admit.. The "time against me" thing I mentioned back there was more about injuries (torn muscles etc that prevent full use of arms and legs etc) that I've accumulated over the years, mostly due to my occupation and the odd slide down the tarmac here and there. I always looked at retiring with arms and legs and all other bodily parts still in pretty good nick but that's just not going to happen,, even with physiotherapy they just seem to feel slightly worse each year. Worst one is my left calf muscle,, it went bang one day while bending forward lifting stuff. There's a noticeable gap in that muscle where it used to be. Now I can't lift too much and I can no longer run on it. I just hope they don't interfere with my bike riding when swinging my right leg over the bike to mount it gives a sharp pain in that left muscle for an instant while taking the weight, and being a sports bike with drop handlebars exaggerates it a bit more than with street bikes because of the higher ass end. In the right groin, right behind the hangers, same thing, snapped muscle although it's nowhere near as bad as the other leg, still have to be a little careful swinging leg over. Left and right shoulders both have had snapped muscles more than once and neither arm can be lifted too far without feeling the pinch. At work I've tended go like a bull at a gate at times,, just had to learn to slow down at times.. Anyway, buying this bike is all about something I've wanted to do for quite a while now =>> own a current 1000cc sports bike. I've owned to two other GSX-R's in the past, both 750's which I loved to bits, and a Yamaha FZ750 and a Honda VTR1000 as well as a couple of original Katana 750's when they first appeared (couldn't get an 1100,, none available at the time, both times). That's really the extent of drop bar bikes I had, I think. Apart from that, I had a whole host of Kawasaki Z1000's (maybe 5 or 6 back then), Suzuki GS1000, GSX1100, oh man I can't remember them all, but in the time that the sports 1000's came out I, never had the opportunity to get one for one reason or another. Now I do,, and I will...

While I was looking for bike shops around in town a few weeks ago, I saw that "Red Baron" are now closing down (End of Jan).. Not sure what's going on there but I looked over the Yamaha R1-M. Now that's quite a bike in its own right,, it was knocked down from 38/39K to about 31K or something like that (I think I got the numbers somewhere near right). Nice piece of hardware but like the Kawasaki ZX10, I just couldn't own one, I can't sit on them too well, they're just too 'sporty' orientated and are just too aggressive styled head down and ass up for me, whereas the GSX-R and the CBR are more to my liking, almost perfect, at least for a 1000cc sports bike anyway. In my opinion the Honda and Suzie seem more like street bikes that you can race, where the Yam and Kawa are race bikes that you can ride on the street,, but they're all so damned nice and I tend to think that I have missed out on so many great bikes in the past handful years..

MayRevs

Thread Information