Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HALP: Typical “bike won’t start” post

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01
    I'd be tempted to just push it if it's only 200m. Ah well, at least you can go to town on the ES335 in your display pic while you wait for the bike to get fixed?
    2001 Ducati 996S || 2008 Yamaha CygnusX
    FaceBrick

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yokomama View Post
    I’ve admitted defeat. Dads lent me a scooter of all things.
    As soon as the little guy starts, it’s going to the honda shop, conveniently about 200 metres from work.

Will post results.
    There MAY be a short in the plug leads ... try starting it in the dark. Any short will show itself pretty dam quickly. Old leads are bad for this and easily fixed (replacement). Engine heat and vibration do the damage. Look at the plug caps too ... their connection may not be great either ...

Take a look at all connections at the coil right through to the plugs (including kill switch and all it's connections, and it may also be shorting out intermittently ). Also ... check if any/all plugs continue to get spark when/if specific plugs stop sparking.

Be methodical and the results will pay off. Assume nothing. facts gets results. Take notes on results as memory often fails.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Honda vt250 spada
    Shame there’s no like button. Thanks for basically being the man.
    With any luck I will have a concrete diagnosis before too long.

Bike
    Honda vt250 spada
    Quote Originally Posted by WALRUS View Post
    I'd be tempted to just push it if it's only 200m. Ah well, at least you can go to town on the ES335 in your display pic while you wait for the bike to get fixed?

You sir have the right idea. It’s a dot, but it’s quite ... modified.
    Nickel hardware all round, Wilkinson tuners, vintage output hbs with a coil tap - harness on these things isn’t as daunting as people make out. 50s wiring too.

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01
    Quote Originally Posted by Yokomama View Post
    You sir have the right idea. It’s a dot, but it’s quite ... modified.
    Nickel hardware all round, Wilkinson tuners, vintage output hbs with a coil tap - harness on these things isn’t as daunting as people make out. 50s wiring too.
    Nothing wrong with a dot, I've got one myself. And a supernova.. And a Samick rip-off ES335 with the hottest stock pickups in the world.. Along with a whole room of other gear haha. But that's a topic for a different thread. I hope you get the Spada going soon! Until then, enjoy the scooter, I reckon you'll be surprised at how much fun they can be to hooligan around!
    FaceBrick

Bike
    Honda vt250 spada
    Scooter is a bit weird but it’s transport.
    Spada fired straight up this morning - took it to honda about a minute later. Bit of a backlog there so may be a while, but whatever. It is what it is.

Bike
    Honda vt250 spada
    Ok, nothing electrical. Embarrassing.

Turns out there were air screws (?) loose on the intake manifold, and the manifold itself was being a bit silly. Carbs “overhauled” - rebuilt?

Almost goes like a new bike now. So glad to be back on it. I missed it.

Thanks to the experienced guys for their patience through my minimal vacuum knowledge!

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01
    That's what led me to give up on the MC19's. Old, tiny, knackered Honda carbies.. I know nothing about them or how to work on them and anyone who I got to help me just ended up equally frustrated with how fiddly they were.. Sold them on haha!

I'm glad you're back on the Spada, well done!
    FaceBrick

Thread Information