Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which corner at Ruapuna had the oil dumped on it today?

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Brake clean cant be used. Asphalt is pretty much just oil and gravel. The surface would fall apart.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Brake clean cant be used. Asphalt is pretty much just oil and gravel. The surface would fall apart.

Ha - that sprung a memory out of me. Fairly new asphalt $8k drive some years back and me with some brake clean ...... it did indeed start to eat the surface.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Or a factory that can turn out quality oil filters.
    Well, yes and no...I've seen it happen to a lot of people over the years - some very good mechanics too, using expensive filters...

Most spectacular was Kevin Gray's GSXR at the Manfield WSB round. Warming it up in the pits and there was a flood....The air/oil GSXR 750's hold a shitload of oil....The concrete is probably still stained.

Bike
    husaberg
    The problem is effectively picking up the excess dust. The dry dust presents nearly as big a hazard as the oil did.

Need a ride on hoover really. Or just a water cannon and a big hair dryer.
    Funny enough i was at the BP station just arround the corner from Ruapuna on Sunday they had one of those massive oversize push mower looking sweepers for sweeping the forcourt.
    For a National round maybe having a sucker sweeper truck on loan from FH or something might not be silly
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    I wonder if the option of continuing with a shortened circuit was offered...There's a cut through from the hairpin to the dipper entrance which would avoid the affected part. It's been used for club racing many times - often when there weren't enough marshals as it cuts out several points.

rules say you must have a required amount of practice to run a race, especiallly in a championship, they would have had to do a lot of time to do that plus the permit would not have been for a differnt track. i'd be interested to know if that had happened at say nine am would they have had the resources to clean it in a fair time too, just trying to glean something for the future

Bike
    suzuki
    The problem is effectively picking up the excess dust. The dry dust presents nearly as big a hazard as the oil did.

modern synethis oils are not the same as old mineral oils, and what about the environmental issues too?

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    On hearing this yesterday OI was surprised they did not have the tech to get the track race ready again in a reasonable time frame. .
    one wonders what's written into the track hire contract. i was there this morning and it was wet and a rider training guy was there, i pointed it out but they were riding on the roads so all ok.

Bike
    BSA A10

Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    On hearing this yesterday OI was surprised they did not have the tech to get the track race ready again in a reasonable time frame.

Apparently there is a place in Christchurch that use a combination of some type of soda and waterblasting/steam cleaning for exactly this type of spill, on a good day it is dried up within about 20 minutes. I have someone getting me the details to see if it could be a future option
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    Apparently there is a place in Christchurch that use a combination of some type of soda and waterblasting/steam cleaning for exactly this type of spill, on a good day it is dried up within about 20 minutes. I have someone getting me the details to see if it could be a future option
    Most oil spill kits contain kitty litter.
    looks like limestone but its called zeolite buggar all dust its some volcanic mineral.
    There is a quarry or was a quarry near Rotorua. found it.
    https://www.bpmnz.co.nz/en/minerals/zeolite/
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Well, yes and no...I've seen it happen to a lot of people over the years - some very good mechanics too, using expensive filters...
    As I said to the team in question, "time to find a cheaper brand of filter"
    The ones I used on the pink sidecar were a car part number & my clients had unwittingly product tested them over hundreds of thousands of km for me.
    They were $3:72 plus GST my buy.

Bike
    moped
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Most oil spill kits contain kitty litter.
    looks like limestone but its called zeolite buggar all dust its some volcanic mineral.
    There is a quarry or was a quarry near Rotorua. found it.
    https://www.bpmnz.co.nz/en/minerals/zeolite/
    At VMCC we use a product called "Lime Flour" available from farmlands, i think we pay around $6 a 20kg bag, its as cheap chips, on every flag point we have a 20kg bucket of the stuff available, plus much more in store if we need it, it does a bloody good job, when needed, plus a proper 240ltr whellie bin on wheels regulation "Oil spill Kit" ready all the time.
    Shame about what happend over the weekend but thats beyond our control, when we are all involved in racing engines, the inevitable will happen anywhere anytime, thats motorsport.
    I still don't know about this Containment Tray system enforcement, everyone is trying to do something to prevent the oil spillage, but its in the hands of the gods of how and where the oil will come out of a failed engine, i have seen two blown engines on solos both had oil trays but still most of the oil went on track, again you can't blame anyone.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by rustys View Post
    I still don't know about this Containment Tray system enforcement, everyone is trying to do something to prevent the oil spillage, but its in the hands of the gods of how and where the oil will come out of a failed engine, i have seen two blown engines on solos both had oil trays but still most of the oil went on track, again you can't blame anyone.
    it was bsb spec

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    They definitely help. My bike put a conrod through the front of the block on the fastest part of Paeroa, wasn't a single drop of oil on the track but quite a lot in the catch tray. That would've screwed the whole day for everyone rather than just me.

I won't go without one just because I don't want to be THAT GUY who shut down the whole day for everybody when it was preventable.
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Bike
    motocompo
    The problem with sidecars is that they don't immediately crash upon getting oil on the rear tyre.
    Hence why sidecars manage to oil large distances of track.

Bike
    husaberg
    At VMCC we use a product called "Lime Flour" available from farmlands, i think we pay around $6 a 20kg bag, its as cheap chips, on every flag point we have a 20kg bucket of the stuff available, plus much more in store if we need it, it does a bloody good job, when needed, plus a proper 240ltr whellie bin on wheels regulation "Oil spill Kit" ready all the time.
    Shame about what happend over the weekend but thats beyond our control, when we are all involved in racing engines, the inevitable will happen anywhere anytime, thats motorsport.
    Lime flour is just finely ground lime i hope its cheap it only costs $20 ton for the normal stuff
    I reminder distinctly .

Thread Information