Thread: 2005 Yamaha Virago XV250 "Stage 1" performance mod.

Bike
    2005 Yamaha XV250

2005 Yamaha Virago XV250 "Stage 1" performance mod.

Hello everyone

I have recently purchased a 2005 Yamaha Virago XV250, although not as good as my 1994 Honda Magna VT250 it still gets me from A to B. I am wanting to do some performance mods. to bring it up to speed (pun unintended)

- I will be changing the sprockets to 17 - 40 for the gearing and doing a stage 1 mod

My questions is this :-

What are your thoughts and knowledge on the following combination of mods?

- Installing West Eagle drag pipes

- Installing K&N air filter

- Installing 6sigma jet kit (link below)

https://www.ebay.com.au/p/Yamaha-Xv2...Kit/1055310910

Your time and help would be appreciated. Thank you 😊

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigtumbler View Post
    Hello everyone

I have recently purchased a 2005 Yamaha Virago XV250, although not as good as my 1994 Honda Magna VT250 it still gets me from A to B. I am wanting to do some performance mods. to bring it up to speed (pun unintended)

- I will be changing the sprockets to 17 - 40 for the gearing and doing a stage 1 mod

My questions is this :-

What are your thoughts and knowledge on the following combination of mods?

- Installing West Eagle drag pipes

- Installing K&N air filter

- Installing 6sigma jet kit (link below)

https://www.ebay.com.au/p/Yamaha-Xv2...Kit/1055310910

Your time and help would be appreciated. Thank you 😊
    On a 250 ... changing sprockets to increase top end speed is a waste of time. Unless of course ... everywhere you go you have a tail wind and it's down hill. A good sized power increase is needed to make it effective.

Drag pipes will just make you deaf ... and very unpopular with everybody on your street. You will however be noticed sooner in built up areas ...

All said and done ... how big a power increase are you expecting ... ???

The good news though ... 250 cc motorcycles are automatically a LAM's class motorcycle ... but modifications to increase the power to weight ARE allowed.

If you are on a learners/restricted license ... I suggest you buy a larger capacity motorcycle ... put the rego on hold (if it isn't already) and increase the HP of it ... the same/similar mod's will give you a greater (and more noticeable) gain in power that you would with the 250.

I doubt if your plan could ever be described as value for money ... but it is YOUR money ....

Several (dozen) threads are already in the forums ... on this very subject. It won't hurt to read them ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2005 Yamaha XV250
    Yes I see where you are coming from. I spend a lot of time in the Philippines and was contemplating shipping it there from Australia. Traffic and roads there are suited for 250cc and below. Light weight agile motorcycles are ideal. I like that about the Virago. Yet for some reason the gearing is noticeably lower than my VT250 magna cruiser. It is common place for people to change the sprockets on the Virago XV250. I am only looking for 10% power increase (not a lot) of course changing the sprockets won't do this, therefore my thoughts of a stage 1 mod. I have my full license, but cannot justify a bigger bike for the above reasons.

I became a member of the virago forum, but for some reason it wouldn't allow me to post a thread, so I am here.

Thank you for your feedback.

Bike
    2005 Yamaha XVS250
    I have an XVS250 (Dragstar) which is more or less the same bike, though doesn't share a large volume of parts.

I found the best thing I could do was get used to riding lower in the rev range to make use of the torque but with new jets, exhaust mods and air filters I can honestly say I might've made 1-2hp. Completely un-noticable. As above, save your money or if you're set on the pipes, make sure they come with good silencers.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigtumbler View Post
    ... Yet for some reason the gearing is noticeably lower than my VT250 magna cruiser. It is common place for people to change the sprockets on the Virago XV250.
    For around town riding ... a lower geared VT is ideal and was a common change. They get off from the lights surprisingly fast.

For out of town riding ... upgrade the suspension and tires. You wont increase speed ... but you wont need to go as slow as often and will be safer too.

A new rear cog with about 4 or 5 less teeth would help increase speed (a bit) ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Thread Information