Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GSX-R1000 long time dream came true yesterday...

Bike
    Suzuki GSX-R1000 A L8
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Sounds awesome, I banned myself off such bikes some years ago as while i was grown up enough to make that decision, i didnt think i was grown up enough to keep riding that kind of bike
    Sounds like you are happy enough with the set up, & if so leave it alone until or if you find a characteristic you want to tune out
    Dont just mess about with the settings because thats what all the cool kids are doing
    Enjoy.
    S'bob, For me, nothing about buying this bike was ever based on common sense or my capabilities. I always wanted to get a 1 litre current superbike. Any of the four Japanese brands (Yam, Kaw, Hon, Suz) would have done but I am glad it was Suzuki, because that is the brand I was riding when these types of bikes first came out. I had a few GSXR750's & FZ750 sporters and a few other drop bar bikes in the past and they sort of fuelled my decision because they were exciting to ride and I never really suffered from those drop handlebar aches and pains that many get. This one seems ok for me too, so why not. I didn't need it,, I just wanted it,, I've always liked these 1000cc sports bikes.. To be honest, I'd admit that about 90% of the decision to buy any bike I've ever owned has always been based on looks and the excitement it generated within me. In the motorcycle world, 1 litre sports bikes simply turn me on...

Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Buys a litre bike, worries about fuel economy.
    Silly isn't it,, BUT,, I actually bought this bike NOT to be a boy racer (could that be because I am just too old to be one - maybe..??). I want to ride a bike I like, along with my friends, and to be honest, more touring than canyon racing. I've never been good enough to be "king of the hill", although I've had my moments. That was way back then, not now, so yeah, fuel economy is about 10% worth taking note of - hahahaha.. In the long run, it's all for fun. Even if this bike remains mostly on the stand in the garage, it won't worry me a bit..

Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    just for interest, what are the lights like at night?
    eldog, I haven't ridden in the dark hours yet so not sure, although in one video on YT the guy reckoned they, whoops - 'it' was ok, surprisingly good. It is LED and sure looks quite strong from front on but I guess that will have to be found out with experience in the future but summer time, night riding, and bugs just aren't really ME, so I'm not holding my breath to find out - hahaha..!!

Cheers all,,
    ManyRevs

Bike
    Honda vt250 spada
    This is cool man. Good shit.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    I just like you that you purchased your 'dream' bike and are enjoying it. No need to justify anything to KB, just enjoy the machine and make it yours.

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    I just like you that you purchased your 'dream' bike and are enjoying it. No need to justify anything to KB, just enjoy the machine and make it yours.
    Yeah, that was my take on this thread as well.

Most posters on KB have bikes that are way more capable than the riders, I'll freely admit that of myself for starters.

Just enjoy your dream bike there "manyrevs" and keep learning whilst grinning

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by manyrevs View Post
    eldog, I haven't ridden in the dark hours yet so not sure, although in one video on YT the guy reckoned they, whoops - 'it' was ok, surprisingly good. It is LED and sure looks quite strong from front on but I guess that will have to be found out with experience in the future but summer time, night riding, and bugs just aren't really ME, so I'm not holding my breath to find out - hahaha..!!
    Ok, I was wondering, as the light was that current modern shape how it performed. Enjoy.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Suzuki GSX-R1000 A L8
    Cheers guys, all's fine here. I'm not upset in any way,, how can I be after buying this bike..?? I have a couple of brothers who think it's time for me to grow up, and think I am a bit nuts for buying that bike of all bikes but they're secretly happy for me because we all love bikes and we all got bitten by the bug oh so many years ago and to date not one of us has managed to recover,, don't want to..!!
    Have a good one guys...
    ManyRevs
    Last edited by manyrevs; 23rd January 2019 at 04:58. Reason: missed a word out

Bike
    Suzuki GSX-R1000 A L8
    Just a quickie tonight,,
    Yesterday I took it for a very 'quick' squirt just to get a few more km's on the clock, around the back roads and then home on the motorway (well, at least for a bit of the way anyway)..
    "Quick" as in two ways,,
    1). Not very far as I wasn't feeling 100% well yesterday and besides, I only had limited gas left in the tank..
    2). I got on the motorway and gave it a quick squirt,, I opened it up in 6th just as it was hitting 5000 rpm and I literally had to hold on for my life. This was a decent amount of throttle opening too.. Only god and I know what speed I got up to - and I'm not saying a word - but SH*T man, this bike has some serious boogie just waiting to get out and be used,, and it just keeps coming. I then let go the throttle and went back to a more normal revs/speed... First time I intentionally used 6th gear and first time I opened it up like that too..

Impressed, intimidated, scared, orgasmic or whatever - I simply don't know how to explain my feelings at the time - maybe just pleasantly shocked - something like a cattle prod up the ass I suppose...!!!

ManyRevs

Bike
    ZX14R, E=mc2
    Cheers guys, all's fine here. I'm not upset in any way,, how can I be after buying this bike..?? I have a couple of brothers who think it's time for me to grow up, and think I am a bit nuts for buying that bike of all bikes but they're secretly happy for me because we all love bikes and we all got bitten by the bug oh so many years ago and to date not of us has managed to recover,, don't want to..!!
    Have a good one guys...
    ManyRevs
    Enjoy your new bike mate , I'm 57 and riding my 3rd Hayabusa . Number three.

Not a big deal for me but , have fun.

Bike
    Suzuki GSX-R1000 A L8
    Quote Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
    Enjoy your new bike mate , I'm 57 and riding my 3rd Hayabusa . Number three. Not a big deal for me but , have fun.
    Geez, No3.. You sure believe in having some fun and I'm glad to hear it. As for me, it's sort of "here and now" mentality, just like it's always been,, live for the day man, for the day - Hahahaha...!!! Cheers Stylo..
    ManyRevs

Bike
    Suzuki GSX-R1000 A L8
    Final word (unless someone wants a reply etc) on this topic,,,

I've taken the bike for a few more small rides in the past week and I am starting to feel a lot more at home and used to it now. I'm get the urge to throw it into corners a bit more, knowing that I'll get a real good safe feeling, then roll that power on when I exit. I'm 100% sure that this bike needs to be ridden more towards the sportier side side of things than the touring side to get the best out of it. Strictly easy riding might be a bit harsh and maybe not the most pleasant feeling. I also gave it a few squirts (no full speed stuff,, just quick squirts),, that'll have to wait for another day, maybe another lifetime for now. Boy, it's got some serious horses in that engine just waiting to get out..

From here, it's just accumulating miles/kms to get the first service out of the way..

See you all on the other side. Thanks for listening...

ManyRevs

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Final word (unless someone wants a reply etc) on this topic,,,
    Nothing's final until you're dead. No coming back from that ...

I've taken the bike for a few more small rides in the past week and I am starting to feel a lot more at home and used to it now. I'm get the urge to throw it into corners a bit more, knowing that I'll get a real good safe feeling, then roll that power on when I exit.
    That's fine if you're doing on the very same roads ... as opposed to the very same sort of roads. The expectation of the roads being the the same standard of quality in each area is slim. Knowing how it reacts to seal imperfections and a loose surface might be your life saver ... been there yet .. ??

I'm 100% sure that this bike needs to be ridden more towards the sportier side side of things than the touring side to get the best out of it.
    Riding "Sportier" often translates into not spending as much time looking for issues on and in the road. Deserted back roads aren't always deserted. People live and work down those deserted roads. Taking a racing line (on a right-hander) and meeting a large duel wheeled tractor ... can be a tad unnerving. You may also experience a little pain.

Strictly easy riding might be a bit harsh and maybe not the most pleasant feeling. I also gave it a few squirts (no full speed stuff,, just quick squirts),, that'll have to wait for another day, maybe another lifetime for now. Boy, it's got some serious horses in that engine just waiting to get out..
    From here, it's just accumulating miles/kms to get the first service out of the way..
    A south island tour ... ???

See you all on the other side. Thanks for listening...

ManyRevs
    Other side of where ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    A
    So FJ, are we both wondering the same thing? Where's the training/skill level at for the OP? Seems to me the new bike could do with an operator that's had a check-up and/or tune-up of his skills

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    So FJ, are we both wondering the same thing? Where's the training/skill level at for the OP? Seems to me the new bike could do with an operator that's had a check-up and/or tune-up of his skills
    Aside from the ability of the motorcycle (which should be a constant) ... the riders ability and confidence are the next two factors in gaining the most in forward momentum. To have one without the other (either one) ... it can't happen.

I think "To grow a pair" would be the terminology in this case ... "I'm get the urge to throw it into corners a bit more" suggests a confidence issue.

A skilled and confident rider ... put on a GN250 ... could out ride a majority of the experienced riders (on better bikes) on some roads.

A fast(er) and powerful motorcycle will not increase your own ability ... but will do more to highlight your shortcomings.

You (in most cases) go faster ... but at what cost .. ?? (Your) Personal safety is the first issue ... "Getting the urge" .. ?? is this the attitude of experienced motorcyclists ... ??

"Throw it into corners" .. ?? the faster you go ... the more precise you need to be. Situational awareness is knowing where you are on the road and knowing where you need to be. Usually knowing where you shouldn't be is part of that too. Get it wrong .. and "Throwing it away" becomes part of the dialogue.

Other road users ... remember them ... ??? I hope we all do. If we survive the accident (and killing other people on the roads is frowned on) ... the pain and cost of it all is seldom worth the minutes of fun that was the cause of it all.

For the machine the OP has and get the best out of it ... two things come to mind ... TIME and PLACE. To the OP ... Get some (more ... ??) track time to improve on the abilities you already have. AND ... Remove the risk of injury or death to and from those that do not even know you exist.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Suzuki GSX-R1000 A L8
    Hey guys - Woawwww..!!!
    Sounds like you're reading wayyyy too much into what I'm saying,, but I guess that's your right/privilege. Never mind...

Guys, all I know right now is - I love this bike, I'm very glad and happy I bought it, and and it's here to stay...!!!

Oh,, ahh "the other side" of the "first service" that is - hahahaha..

ManyRevs

Bike
    A
    Hey guys - Woawwww..!!!
    Sounds like you're reading wayyyy too much into what I'm saying,, but I guess that's your right/privilege. Never mind...

Guys, all I know right now is - I love this bike, I'm very glad and happy I bought it, and and it's here to stay...!!!

Oh,, ahh "the other side" of the "first service" that is - hahahaha..

ManyRevs
    Long may you enjoy your dream bike

For some of us reading your posts, it appears you're somewhat in awe of the GSX-R thou.

Forgive us for wondering whether you're suffering from "Born again biker" syndrome

Thread Information