Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GSX-R1000 long time dream came true yesterday...

Bike
    Suzuki GSX-R1000 A L8
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Long may you enjoy your dream bike
    For some of us reading your posts, it appears you're somewhat in awe of the GSX-R thou.
    Forgive us for wondering whether you're suffering from "Born again biker" syndrome
    "In awe" - Definitely..!! I always had been from a distance but now that I actually own one, it's finally come true, hence the title of this thread. I felt like buying one a couple of years ago but the GSX-R1000 series seemed to be losing its mojo, with just face-lifts each year and nothing revolutionary or evolutionary. I truly started wondering - when are they going to seriously update it ? At that time I had other things that needed my money and attention more importantly than bikes did but I remember saying to my brother back then, to watch this one because I think it is going to be a good one, and this latest series is just that. That's when I started saving for it...

"Born again" - Naaaa, just finally a realisation of a dream, well maybe not so much a dream, just that I've thought about it so many times since the R1000's first appeared.. Even at my age (even though I am not the oldest in here), real excitement can still happen in the form of two wheels, in exactly the same fashion it has done for all the other bikes I've had over the years, maybe even a bit more this time. Thought I'd just share it with you guys..

Anyway, maybe time for this thread to be consigned to the archives. Thanks...!!!

ManyRevs

Bike
    2015/18 Blade, 81 Katana, KR150R
    Always great to see someone get their baby and get out there loving it. I finally got a 1000RR some years back and loved it. Going to an open track day and riding it in the no stress slow group was SO good and made my road riding a lot safer. It was getting a chance to try out corners and breaks more on track made the road just a lot more comfortable and controlled.

So it is a sweat machine and you don't have to race it. My advice is go to the track just to experience it a little more in a controlled situation, then if you over cook a corner sometime you'll have a better understanding that you can dig in and get around. Besides it is fun to just crank it on a few times with no fines in site.

Bike
    Suzuki GSX-R1000 A L8
    Probably the last word on this thread (from me anyway),,

The bike is now performing and handling like I always thought it should. I adjusted the front and rear suspension a few times over the past 2 months and got it spot on to my liking - I just didn't realize how much softening up it needed to get it there,, almost maxxed out on the soft side of things in both springs and damping, front and rear,, but now it's more or less perfect for me and seems to handle all situations out there, with ease. The low speed turning in issues I 'had' back when I first rode the bike, have all gone with these settings, which is great. Turning slow speed is no issue at all now. I finally changed engine mode to 'A' and the low end torque that I somehow thought I was missing out on in mode 'B', suddenly appeared and almost blew me away. It's still a bit soft below 3800 - 4000 rpm in top gear, but at 4000 or anything above it, just hang on as you twist that throttle open, as a matter of fact, I loved the top gear motorway riding between 100 - 120 kph so much that I decided to see what this baby was capable of in fuel mileage. How much can I get out of her? Lets put it this way. I know from experience that I can get at least 260 km per tank (that was over the Kopu/Hikuai's) and there is still a bit of gas left in the tank. Trip meter says I can still get another 50 km on what's left, and that astounds me because that trip meter always seems to underestimate. Fuel usage on the dash was saying I was averaging 20.5 km/l.. BUT (and there's always a BUT) this was quite a speed legal trip, specially to see what distance a tank of gas would take me, so it was a little boring, just a bit now you hear...!!! I might have to take her out for a little blast soon, just to get the blood flowing again. The radiator got a bit of a blasting with tiny stones from the 7 or 8 patches of road works that were there, so a radiator guard is soon going on - should have fitted one the day I actually bought it (the guard I mean). A few bees and horse flies got a serious headache too, man they can make a mess of a radiator, can't they..?? Talk about bees, the Bridgestone RS10 tyres seem to be the bees knees - I really like them, although I might replace then with the S22's once they get to that point...

Well, there's not a whole lot more I can say about this bike. It seems to amaze me in almost every way possible. Soon I will replace the stock muffler (which looks like a giant plastic milk bottle), probably with a Yoshi R11-sq, then from there I'll just ride it when I like while we still have good weather. May as well get as much distance as I can for the $1200 insurance fee I had to shell out...

Thanks for sharing the thread... Big Smiles all round...!!!

ManyRevs

Bike
    KTM RC 200
    Amazing! So glad about you!

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kirsten9 View Post
    Amazing! So glad about you!
    Lol!................
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Been a coupla months,traded the K6 1000 Suzuki . Brilliant bike and a very happy 10 yrs ownership.

Although a few thought it wouldn't work,I'm rapt to be back on this sort of beast. At 70 yrs old I reckon this bike has given me another 5 years of riding at least? Went thru and cranked up the pre load and damping etc.... Its like a big lazyboy ! perfect for me.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0536.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	884.9 KB 
ID:	344870

Might be my age,but I always liked the big 70/80s naked bikes....

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...a fantastic way out of the quagmire of choice...

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Nice. Where did you find it?

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Did anyone else have a giggle at "it really tries to take off around 4,700 rpm"?

At 10k it actually gets exciting.

Bike
    2017 Husqvarana FS701
    Quote Originally Posted by manyrevs View Post
    Hey guys - Woawwww..!!!
    Sounds like you're reading wayyyy too much into what I'm saying,, but I guess that's your right/privilege. Never mind...

Guys, all I know right now is - I love this bike, I'm very glad and happy I bought it, and and it's here to stay...!!!

Oh,, ahh "the other side" of the "first service" that is - hahahaha..

ManyRevs
    It's Kiwibiker...of course muppets are reading into everything your saying...and everything your not saying, and everything that they think you are and are not saying but should be. Take the gremlins with a pinch of salt.
    Enjoy the Gixxer, you never forget your first litre bike.
    Nail your colours to the mast that all may look upon them and know who you are.
    It takes a big man to cry...and an even bigger man to laugh at that man.

Bike
    2017 Husqvarana FS701
    Quote Originally Posted by manyrevs View Post
    Probably the last word on this thread (from me anyway),,

The bike is now performing and handling like I always thought it should. I adjusted the front and rear suspension a few times over the past 2 months and got it spot on to my liking - I just didn't realize how much softening up it needed to get it there,, almost maxxed out on the soft side of things in both springs and damping, front and rear,, but now it's more or less perfect for me and seems to handle all situations out there, with ease. The low speed turning in issues I 'had' back when I first rode the bike, have all gone with these settings, which is great. Turning slow speed is no issue at all now. I finally changed engine mode to 'A' and the low end torque that I somehow thought I was missing out on in mode 'B', suddenly appeared and almost blew me away. It's still a bit soft below 3800 - 4000 rpm in top gear, but at 4000 or anything above it, just hang on as you twist that throttle open, as a matter of fact, I loved the top gear motorway riding between 100 - 120 kph so much that I decided to see what this baby was capable of in fuel mileage. How much can I get out of her? Lets put it this way. I know from experience that I can get at least 260 km per tank (that was over the Kopu/Hikuai's) and there is still a bit of gas left in the tank. Trip meter says I can still get another 50 km on what's left, and that astounds me because that trip meter always seems to underestimate. Fuel usage on the dash was saying I was averaging 20.5 km/l.. BUT (and there's always a BUT) this was quite a speed legal trip, specially to see what distance a tank of gas would take me, so it was a little boring, just a bit now you hear...!!! I might have to take her out for a little blast soon, just to get the blood flowing again. The radiator got a bit of a blasting with tiny stones from the 7 or 8 patches of road works that were there, so a radiator guard is soon going on - should have fitted one the day I actually bought it (the guard I mean). A few bees and horse flies got a serious headache too, man they can make a mess of a radiator, can't they..?? Talk about bees, the Bridgestone RS10 tyres seem to be the bees knees - I really like them, although I might replace then with the S22's once they get to that point...

Well, there's not a whole lot more I can say about this bike. It seems to amaze me in almost every way possible. Soon I will replace the stock muffler (which looks like a giant plastic milk bottle), probably with a Yoshi R11-sq, then from there I'll just ride it when I like while we still have good weather. May as well get as much distance as I can for the $1200 insurance fee I had to shell out...

Thanks for sharing the thread... Big Smiles all round...!!!

ManyRevs
    You might find S22's a bit of s step down on RS10's (replaced by RS11)- depending on how hard you are working them. I currently have RS10 on the front of my supermoto and R11 on the rear. R11 is fantastically stick on the road, but wears out like a bastard!
    Nail your colours to the mast that all may look upon them and know who you are.
    It takes a big man to cry...and an even bigger man to laugh at that man.

Thread Information