Thread: New to Dirt Bikes after Advice

Bike
    Dont have one yet

New to Dirt Bikes after Advice

Hey All

Am new to the Dirt Bike Scene, am looking for some advice on a bike purchase

Im a novice rider when it comes to dirt bike and am looking to get a bike for myself and my son on a bit of a budget of course, also im unsure of what size bike would be suitable for me im around 5ft 11 and weight 110kg would a 125 be suitable or would i need to look bigger at say a 250 am looking primarily at a 4 strokes due to the better tourqe wihtout having to ring the shit out of it lol

What are peoples thoughts on the Thumpstar / Forza range of bikes? anyone had any experience with them

Eventually id like to be able to do some jumps and trail rides on a bike with my son

Any information or advice would be appreciated

Bike
    KX450 Motard/Flat Track KTM150SX H2R
    the pit bikes like the forza /thmpster /yambo provide a pretty good bang for buck, but are limited on trail rides as the wheel size is not good for rough paddcks etc, but its a good place to start to see if you are into it,

you can look at something like a crf230 if you want something taller for yourself, but will pay a bit more for a tidy one,

Bike
    anything I can get my grubby wee paws on
    I was in a similar situation, and have ended with a pair of DR-Z250's.

Great simple reliable wee bikes for dirt and town, and just big enough for the open road.

Highly recomended
    =mjc=

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Don't write off 2t's OP, a trailie or enduro motor lugs along like a good un, they don't stall as easy as a 4t. Easy maintenance, too.

A mate rides a KX 125 and it never ceases to amaze me the abuse it takes, where it goes, how well it runs with zero maintenance, how little smashes off it when he hits trees, how well it rides technical trails and then rips when things open up. It can sit in the back of his van for 3 months from ride to ride and will start within 3 kicks.

It's worth about $700 if he cleaned it and oiled the chain.

Not recommending his bike or any MX bike, but putting up a thumb for 2t's.Just a bit of food for thought.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    KX450 Motard/Flat Track KTM150SX H2R
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Don't write off 2t's OP, a trailie or enduro motor lugs along like a good un, they don't stall as easy as a 4t. Easy maintenance, too.

A mate rides a KX 125 and it never ceases to amaze me the abuse it takes, where it goes, how well it runs with zero maintenance, how little smashes off it when he hits trees, how well it rides technical trails and then rips when things open up. It can sit in the back of his van for 3 months from ride to ride and will start within 3 kicks.

It's worth about $700 if he cleaned it and oiled the chain.

Not recommending his bike or any MX bike, but putting up a thumb for 2t's.Just a bit of food for thought.
    im 6 foot and 85kg, and ride 125's, not many places i cant get, and ill run up the front of most races, you will learn a lot by riding a 125

also a very good learner bike is a KDX200,

Thread Information