Thread: Might pull the trigger on this, any thoughts?

Bike
    KLR650

Might pull the trigger on this, any thoughts?

Kia ora! Have finally decided to go ahead and get my motorcycle licence here in NZ after a few sporadic years of riding overseas, and am looking to get myself onto a dual sport that will allow me to spend my weekends exploring. Bike will also be used as a daily commuter from Piha to Grey Lynn 5 days a week, so a good mix of highway and, hopefully, more than occasional off road. This bike has really caught my attention and I am tempted to pull the trigger... It has been in an accident though with the front fairing, headlight(s) and handlebars have been replaced w/ non OEM gear. Doesn't have handguards, and looks as though the rear rack is missing too. Do you feel it's too much of a gamble? Is the lack of fairing around the handlebars going to affect the ride much?

Hard to beat the price for a 2016 KLR... Any help, advice would be greatly appreciated. My budget is sub 5k just FYI.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Lis...?id=1904224634

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01
    My sister has a similar vintage KLR650, they're relatively bullet proof but I'd think twice about buying anything which has needed the majority of the front end replaced.

For that sort of budget, I'd be looking for F650GS's or maybe VStroms or DR650's if you've got your heart set on a mid-capacity dualsport-y type thingo.

Hell, if you're set on a KLR, maybe have a squizz at this one that hasn't been stacked. Loads of extras, much better condition, worth a look.
    2001 Ducati 996S || 2008 Yamaha CygnusX
    FaceBrick

Bike
    KLR650
    Quote Originally Posted by WALRUS View Post
    My sister has a similar vintage KLR650, they're relatively bullet proof but I'd think twice about buying anything which has needed the majority of the front end replaced.

For that sort of budget, I'd be looking for F650GS's or maybe VStroms or DR650's if you've got your heart set on a mid-capacity dualsport-y type thingo.

Hell, if you're set on a KLR, maybe have a squizz at this one that hasn't been stacked. Loads of extras, much better condition, worth a look.
    yeah, that one was my first choice... has sold unfortunately. unless the buyer decided not to front up with the cash today. there aren't too many options in the sub 5k bracket that fit the bill really. the DR650's are nice but in stock form don't really fit my purpose all that well, and fall a little bit too far into the dirt bike category for my liking. how reliable are the F650GS's? I have owned many a European car and it usually hasn't worked out that well in my favour imagine parts, labour would be a cut above the others?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WALRUS View Post

"Majority of front end replaced?" = the plastic and the headlight is hardly the "majority" .
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    KLR650
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    "Majority of front end replaced?" = the plastic and the headlight is hardly the "majority" .
    what are your thoughts on the bike? im still tempted at that price point to be honest. actually chatted to the guy today and he was very upfront with the work that had been done on the bike since he acquired it from auction. from his standpoint the damage to the bike was very much cosmetic with no structural damage it whatsoever. meh

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I smashed the plastic of my own KLR while learning I wasnt as good an off-roader (Dusty Butt 1000) as I thought I was. I bought some second hand bits off E-bay and repaired the rest. The KLR is a great bike to ride, its not a KTM off road and its not an R1 on the road, but it does most things pretty damn well. Its a bit tall if you're vertically challenged, but comfortable, plenty of room to move around, a sensible riding position, economical on fuel.
    I have changed a few things on mine, (KX500 USD forks, EM 685 piston, EM doohickey, GSX750R titanium muffler, hot grips, alloy bashplate) mostly cos I wanted to. They have a massive following overseas, lots of forums and FB groups. Huge aftermarket accessory availability. They have been in continuous production with mostly cosmetic changes since about 1987 - they must have been doing something right.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    looks better like that and more drop resistant now, seems like a bargain if that WOF will stick post the 3 years brand new bike thingy :P

Bike
    KLR650
    trigger pulled. was too good of a deal to pass up and felt confident after questioning the owner extensively about the damage, and subsequent repairs. fly to nelson next weekend to collect. going to split the ride home to auckland with a overnight stop in taranaki. thanks for the input. no doubt i will crop up on here asking all sorts of inane questions before long

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Well done - let the farkeling begin! Pull the rear suspension linkage (easy to do) and grease the bearings and pins that the factory forgot. steering head bearings are usually pretty dry as well. Get into the habit of checking the oil level at every fuel stop (the later bikes dont have the same oil consumption problem as the early Gen IIs but it is best to err on the safe side) Extended riding at revs over 5000 will use oil. If you are going off road the plastic "bash plate" doesnt last long, also the standard drain plug hangs down low and is a rock magnet. A flap (I used an old inner tube) to extend the front of the rear mudguard keeps the crap off the rear shock and will assist in extending the seal life. Bolts will disappear from time to time - Loctite is your friend.

Welcome to the fold.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Thread Information