Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Road registration of your modified bike

Bike
    speed triple

Road registration of your modified bike

Hi I'm 18 months into a build of a road bike..
    It's been an interesting road.. major vs minor mod, LVV, VTNZ, brake decs, vin plates, weld procedures, permissible light lenses, theres a few hoops to jump though..
    I'm getting to the tail end of it and have a couple of silly questions that will inevitably trip me up on WOF day.. I figure theres people out there that have been down this road and would offer their advice..
    1... can make my own hard brake lines..
    2... do all the dash lights outside of required have to work on wof day.
    3... what's the rules around front fenders , minimum coverage..
    Thanks in advance chaps

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by lozz900 View Post
    It's been an interesting road.. major vs minor mod, LVV, VTNZ, brake decs, vin plates, weld procedures, permissible light lenses, theres a few hoops to jump though..
    I'm getting to the tail end of it and have a couple of silly questions that will inevitably trip me up on WOF day.. I figure theres people out there that have been down this road and would offer their advice..
    Thanks in advance chaps
    Pics please
    talk to this dude
    https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/s...-scratch-built
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    suzuki
    Thanks in advance chaps
    ask the LVV person whose doing it, after all they're the ones who will be certifying it.
    i was talking with one two weeks ago, i know rear fenders need to cover a third of the wheel, but it doesn't say which third....
    required dash lights are indicator and high beam, and illumination of dash, nothing else is warrantable just like your radio isn't

Bike
    speed triple
    I need a rear fender ? The bike itself is the fender I'd have thought..
    I'll try put up a pic

Bike
    suzuki
    I need a rear fender ? The bike itself is the fender I'd have thought..
    I'll try put up a pic
    I thought you came on here looking for advice, not to tell people they're wrong when they do impart their knowledge, you don't have to convince me, or others on here, it's your certifier who will be giving it a tick or not.
    Have you downloaded a copy of the rules yet?

Bike
    speed triple
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190804_131456.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	591.5 KB 
ID:	342649  

Bike
    speed triple
    Settle jelly... I was asking a question..
    According to my certifier the is no rule book for bikes..
    I thought this forum might give me a hint about what's getting approved and what's not..

Bike
    suzuki
    I thought this forum might give me a hint about what's getting approved and what's not..
    is 'your certifier' able to certify bikes?

when did they tell you 'there is no rule book for bikes'?

Bike
    speed triple
    Yes , certified for a host of classes including motorcycles , major and minor mods.. Its probably been 8-9 months since we spoke..
    He said theres a builders handbook for cars but no such handbook for motorcycles. He may have said a handbook for trikes was in the making though..

Bike
    suzuki
    Yes , certified for a host of classes including motorcycles , major and minor mods.. Its probably been 8-9 months since we spoke..
    He said theres a builders handbook for cars but no such handbook for motorcycles. He may have said a handbook for trikes was in the making though..
    8-9 months ago we were allowed big fuck off guns in nz and plastic bags......

Bike
    speed triple
    Hehe yeah I know.. and a couple of trailer hitch guys, WOF guys and certifiers have been pinged . I know I'm in trouble no matter how hard I try..

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    You would totally want a hugger to stop detritus coming off the rear tyre into those exposed bellmouths. Guess that would constitute 1/3rd and be relatively unobtrusive.

What do you mean hard brakelines? Generally flexibility is a good thing. My old RD had a bent tube section but why they didn't just make the line full length.

Lines need certification type labels. Crowd in Auckland do HEL lines. Used to be Alert but bought out by some rally guy.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    More pics would be good fella,nice looking bike from what i can see,changed a few things on my old Suzuki over the years but havent had to go down the cert road,ran into a few questions re after binning tailight and all the plastic that went with it and fitting an undertray they wanted a red reflector blah blah which was easy sorted,oddly enough they have never mentioned anything about the later model GSXR front end and aftermarket rims etc on an old V-twin.As i said more pics if you will.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    speed triple
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    You would totally want a hugger to stop detritus coming off the rear tyre into those exposed bellmouths. Guess that would constitute 1/3rd and be relatively unobtrusive.

What do you mean hard brakelines? Generally flexibility is a good thing. My old RD had a bent tube section but why they didn't just make the line full length.

Lines need certification type labels. Crowd in Auckland do HEL lines. Used to be Alert but bought out by some rally guy.
    I'm not totally against a rear hugger.. 1/3 coverage is a big number though... I talked again to the certifier yesterday and he hinted there may be some flexibility there as some out of the box sports bikes dont meet the criteria either..
    Because these motors are RH output the brake line probably has to go up and over... I cant have the chain spitting off and wiping out the brakes.. I thought the tidiest way would be hard metal tubing like cars and a flexible down by the caliper.. I looked at hel and venhill... venhill is bsp adaptors and hel has all types inc metric. I think metric is the way to go as theres plenty of fittings out there..

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    It is a legal requirement in New Zealand that any aftermarket brake lines you fit to your vehicle have been certified for use in New Zealand.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Thread Information