Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 34 of 34

Thread: kelford cams- gsxr1000 speedway camgrind- ? anyone used it ?

  1. #31
    Join Date
    8th April 2013 - 19:33
    Bike
    XR650R
    Location
    Waikato
    Posts
    81
    so I went over to pearoa today, Bretts been trying to reduce the detonation I've had trouble with, but its still fairly bad, I also tried colder twin earth plugs, but it only marginally helped.
    so I'm convinced it's a mismatch between the cams and exhaust pulse tuning, as it didn't have a sign of detonation with the tapered header and the stock cams.
    so I'm pulling the mtr and reinstalling the stock cams albeit with more normal timing than they were stock.
    stock lobe ctrs were 94 /104 degrees, I'll probably go with 104/106 for a broader power spread, and hopefully no detonation .

  2. #32
    Join Date
    3rd February 2004 - 08:11
    Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Location
    Wallaceville, Upper hutt
    Posts
    4,231
    Have you considered running Av-gas / 100 octane?
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

  3. #33
    Join Date
    8th April 2013 - 19:33
    Bike
    XR650R
    Location
    Waikato
    Posts
    81
    it's a road ridden bike, with a fairly small fuel tank, so no I don't consider methanol an option, plus I don't believe it's compression that's causing it.
    I've experienced detonation on previous modded engines,
    any large increase in compression can cause it, however it's only at 12.55:1 at present, which is stock gsxr and they run on 91 octane.
    a bad combination of cams and exhaust can cause it and due to previously mentioned stock cam/present header
    combination worked, and this cam combo not, I'm hoping it will be running well for next weekend's event

  4. #34
    Join Date
    8th April 2013 - 19:33
    Bike
    XR650R
    Location
    Waikato
    Posts
    81
    so I've got the adjustable cam sprockets swapped over onto the stock cams , I've reshimmed valve lash to work with the stock cams, just need to set cam lobe center timing to allow more topend power than stock , then re-install mtr in chassis to test run, it may need some retuning on Bretts dyno, but main thing is to see if the detonation is gone or at least much reduced.
    plus I've still got a lot of other prep to do for the hillclimb

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •