Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: kelford cams- gsxr1000 speedway camgrind- ? anyone used it ?

Bike
    XR650R

kelford cams- gsxr1000 speedway camgrind- ? anyone used it ?

Hi, I'm getting kelford to put this grind on some cams I'm putting in my gsx-s1000, I know they have been used plenty in speedway sidebars, anyone else had experience with them ?
    I asked them for recommendations for a fast road grind, I.e a wide power and with plenty of torque, that is what they suggested, I've used a few different camgrind from them on various bikes, I've usually had good results with them.
    mainly wondering on setups they have used them with ???

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    I am pretty sure the sidecars are allowed to change up gears from the start, but once up to speed not allowed to change down, ie they have do the whole race, other than the start, in one gear. It follows then that what ever cams they use should be able to give a pretty wide power band. On the other hand the back tyre is spinning most of the time, that would effectively be a constantly variable transmission. Could be interesting on the road.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    motocompo
    Calling Grumph.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Calling Grumph.
    Don't know what the specs are for that grind. My preference with speedway chairs has always been to use std cams - but with the lobe centers moved to suit the application. It's quite possible to change the engine characteristics significantly doing this.

I'm surprised that the OP wants different cams for street use. I'd have thought that a pipe and power commander would have satisfied most.

Bike
    XR650R
    Hi, yes I've tried a few different lobe center timings with the gsxr1000k5 inlet cam in combo with the stock gsx-s intake cam as the exhaust cam.
    I had a reasonably wide powerband with 110/106 lobe center, although it did have a dead hole b4 5000rpm.
    106/104 gave a more continuous delivery, but limited the topend, basicly im trying to replicate the stock wide delivery, but with gsxr levels of power.
    I've carried out several mods to get the mtr to suit some hotter cams, the kelford regrind is supposed to deliver good torque and power spread, there specs are --- 9.9mm net intake lift / 254 duration @ 40thou lift, 8.7 mm lift / 242 duration exhaust .
    so a fair bit hotter than the stock gsxr1000k5 which was 9.2mm net lift/ 251 degree duration @40thou lift.

Bike
    Exercycle
    I'm not a fan of using short and low exhaust cams in these motors. Race versions use equal lift and duration both sides.

I'd personally go for around 250 @ .040 lift on both sides - and on 105/105 lobe centers. With a lift your springs are happy with - say 9.5mm.

Kelford's ownership has changed - and so have the staff. They've lost a lot of knowledge.

Bike
    XR650R
    so the cams are due back Tuesday, I've gone thru the valve spring setup, shimmed the spring seats to even heights and to set closing pressures.
    I'm running gsxr750k6 springs on the inlets, stock springs on the exhaust side, I checked them for coil bind clearence-- 57 thou on inlets, heaps more on ex side, v/guide to retainers have .8mm clearance to spare.
    the block came back today from dg eng's where it was diamond honed for the new rings, so I'm busy over the weekend rebuilding the mtr up to the cyl head, then I will degree in the cams and check the piston to valve clearances
    once reinstalled il give it an initial couple of runs to bed the rings in, b4 I take it to Brent to dyno tune on thurs/Friday.

Bike
    XR650R
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    I'm not a fan of using short and low exhaust cams in these motors. Race versions use equal lift and duration both sides.

I'd personally go for around 250 @ .040 lift on both sides - and on 105/105 lobe centers. With a lift your springs are happy with - say 9.5mm.

Kelford's ownership has changed - and so have the staff. They've lost a lot of knowledge.
    I haven't found any symmetrical cams for the gsxr1000 yet, all the race ones I've seen are asymmetrical, I did have symmetrical cams in my gsxr1100g, it was a beast of a bike, spent a lot of $$$ on building up that mtr/bike, it's still the only bike I've ridden which when accelerating up a hill you had to watch you rolled of the throttle as you crested , or you got a really good look at the sky going down the other side !!

Bike
    Ducati 748R
    Quote Originally Posted by Temporary-Kiwi View Post
    I haven't found any symmetrical cams for the gsxr1000 yet, all the race ones I've seen are asymmetrical, I did have symmetrical cams in my gsxr1100g, it was a beast of a bike, spent a lot of $$$ on building up that mtr/bike, it's still the only bike I've ridden which when accelerating up a hill you had to watch you rolled of the throttle as you crested , or you got a really good look at the sky going down the other side !!

To be fair.. My aprilia is the same with the gearing it has, its a handful with 14/42 sprockets. Even though its old now still one of the most enjoyable bikes I have ridden.

Bike
    XR650R
    well the cams returned from kelford, I started installing them and noticed that they were mixed up, I.e they had put the inlet grind onto the exhaust cam, and ex grind onto the inlet cam !
    I rang them up again, as I had explained which cam to put each grind onto, they admitted it's a mistake but asked if I can make it work arrh!!!!
    so now I've had to remove and reinstall the adjustable sprocket Mting bushes, refigure the positions and retack the bushes, and then finally retime them to the cam lobe center timings - 106 /108, what a lot of wasted time due to an assumption by the guy regrinding them, so now I've missed any chance of getting it to the dyno tuner b4 he goes on holiday, or getting to the burt monroe rally this year.
    guess I just have to suck it up, just annoying for them to make such a stupid mockup, on something that should be bleeding obvious, as I sent two different height cams to suit the two different grinds, each capable accepting the specific grinds.

Bike
    XR650R
    Hi, I gave my gsx-s1000 a compression test tonight after getting mtr reinstalled, all compression figures within 3psi.
    as it was late I only fired it up to ensure it was running.
    so hope to give it a run 2moro sometime.
    always abit nerve racking first firing a mtr after a rebuild.
    got a few things to check before going for an initial run.

Bike
    XR650R
    evening, so I took it for its first run, I had the power commander hooked up as it runs better below 5krpm.
    I just rolled on /off throttle, for a few k's , gave it a couple of revs to 9k rpm @ half throttle - starts pulling hard from 5k, which is ideal as that's about 120kph in top gear.
    the fuelling /timing really needs sorting though as it's trying to detonate with load.
    should be getting tuned next week when brents back.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    I hope the cam grinder offered a suitable rebate for the pissing about you had to do.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Cant help but think it would be easier to buy a GSXR1000 and fit normal bars to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    XR650R
    my brothers sv has hi-bars (f1 eng) it is better for relaxed riding than stock, it does feel a little vague in the front end when getting on the gas, and we have had the suspension gone over by Robert Taylor, I'm abit wary of altering the weight balance of a sportsbike, it can cause problems to the handling, and I really like both the ride position and the handling of the gsx-s, I like a confidence inspiring front end and I can't fault the gsx -s turn in, side -side transitions, and stability.
    but yes I would agree , easier to just fit bars than carry out engine development on a bike that has no listings for hi-perf parts.
    well a guy in aussie offers a 1200cc kit for $12,000 , but that's too rich for me

Thread Information