Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: kelford cams- gsxr1000 speedway camgrind- ? anyone used it ?

Bike
    XR650R
    so I went over to pearoa today, Bretts been trying to reduce the detonation I've had trouble with, but its still fairly bad, I also tried colder twin earth plugs, but it only marginally helped.
    so I'm convinced it's a mismatch between the cams and exhaust pulse tuning, as it didn't have a sign of detonation with the tapered header and the stock cams.
    so I'm pulling the mtr and reinstalling the stock cams albeit with more normal timing than they were stock.
    stock lobe ctrs were 94 /104 degrees, I'll probably go with 104/106 for a broader power spread, and hopefully no detonation .

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Have you considered running Av-gas / 100 octane?
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    XR650R
    it's a road ridden bike, with a fairly small fuel tank, so no I don't consider methanol an option, plus I don't believe it's compression that's causing it.
    I've experienced detonation on previous modded engines,
    any large increase in compression can cause it, however it's only at 12.55:1 at present, which is stock gsxr and they run on 91 octane.
    a bad combination of cams and exhaust can cause it and due to previously mentioned stock cam/present header
    combination worked, and this cam combo not, I'm hoping it will be running well for next weekend's event

Bike
    XR650R
    so I've got the adjustable cam sprockets swapped over onto the stock cams , I've reshimmed valve lash to work with the stock cams, just need to set cam lobe center timing to allow more topend power than stock , then re-install mtr in chassis to test run, it may need some retuning on Bretts dyno, but main thing is to see if the detonation is gone or at least much reduced.
    plus I've still got a lot of other prep to do for the hillclimb

Bike
    XR650R
    well I made a stuff up when installing the stock cams with adjustable cogs, somewhere while installing/degreeing them in I allowed one cylinders inlet valves to hit something, resulted in bent valves, I didn't notice till after I had reinstalled mtr , it even fired up ok, but on test ride it progressively ran shittier, I leak down tested and found the issue, so it's back out with head off, I've ordered a set of v&h s/steel inlets, just got to wait till they arrive b4 I can give it another run.
    I can say it didn't detonate in the little time it ran on all four cyl
    but its probably a couple of weeks away from retesting.

Bike
    a red heap
    Did you win big Wednesday?

Bike
    XR650R
    with my luck I'd say that pigs will fly before that happens,
    a set of vance & hines s/steel inlets delivered cost $366nz ex usa, approx 2-3week delivery.

Bike
    XR650R
    heres a dyno graph gsx-s1000, kelford cams, stock squish @38 thou, 12.55:1 comp ratio, epoxy ported head, 5 angle valve seat cut, v&h valves, hayabusa velocity stacks, tapered header exhaust, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imagejpeg_2.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	139.8 KB 
ID:	341408

Bike
    XR650R
    well the gsx-s has been on back burner as I've been incapacitated due to my stuffed wrist, but I've got some updates, I discovered the kelford cams had also minute partials left in them from the regrinds, and it was stuffing the cyl head bearings, I initially thought it was stuffed so I ordered a gsxr1000k7 cylinder head ex USA.
    then from phoning around some engine shops I got advised to try a remedial option which has made it appear like it will be useable, I got kelford to redress the journals
    so it's got some likelihood of success.
    the k7/8 cylinder head is mint, and looks identical other than the titanium valve setup, I'm planning on running the gsx head with the stock cams next, play with lobe ctr timing to get best overall delivery, but I've got plans for the k7 head, I'll port it abit differently to gain more topend power to exemplify the kelford cams potential, together with 13,000+rpm, should end up with around 180+rwhp with that setup, but its going to take a few months for my wrist to be useable as its a 4month rehab from surgery

Thread Information