Thread: North Island, Napier south to Masterton Road Surfaces?

Bike
    2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250

North Island, Napier south to Masterton Road Surfaces?

Hi All,

We will be making our 4th three week long mc trip through NZ. Just so you know, you live in motorcycle heaven. This time we are picking up our 2008 1250 Bandit in Helensville then riding the East Cape. Then to Napier, on to Wellington, crossing to the South Island and then on to Cromwell. We are meeting up with a couple we met on two of our previous trips and then riding with them through the Catlins, visiting Stewart Island and perhaps taking in the first day of the Munro Challenge before heading back to Helensville.

We'd like to get off the beaten path and I have found the two routes below on BestBikingRoads.com. I'd like to use a combination of the two to get to Masterton from Napier and then on to Wellington.

Route 52 : Waipukurau - Masterton

https://www.bestbikingroads.co.uk/mo...-_51a6d59.html

Back Roads Pahiatua : Hawkes Bay

https://www.bestbikingroads.co.uk/mo...-_ff78121.html

I have two questions:

1) Are these routes on all sealed roads?

2) In one area the routes diverge with one more westerly and one easterly toward the coast. Is the east or west route preferable?

If all goes well with our standby flights we should hit Auckland on January 29th.

Thanks so much in advance for your help,

Mark and Suzy

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    Hi there. I've ridden those roads a few times (75% sure I've ridden the western one, 100% sure the eastern one, as I went through there last year). I'm pretty sure that all of the roads that you've highlighted are sealed. From memory, the more western road that you've asked about goes up and over the hills a bit more, whereas, the more eastern route cuts through the forest a bit more.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by release_the_bees View Post
    Hi there. I've ridden those roads a few times (75% sure I've ridden the western one, 100% sure the eastern one, as I went through there last year). I'm pretty sure that all of the roads that you've highlighted are sealed. From memory, the more western road that you've asked about goes up and over the hills a bit more, whereas, the more eastern route cuts through the forest a bit more.
    Also, if your that way inclined, the eastern route will allow you to get some pictures of your bike in front of the world's longest place name:

Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakanuip ikimaungapokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    I've been through some of those roads a few times. Route 52 is mostly great riding but for the strech between Porongahau and Weber - it's very definitely a narrow back country road with some decreasing radius corners and a lot of patched repairs. The last time I rode it (Labour Weekend 2018) the logging trucks had been working the area, there was a lot of gravel pulled from the margins onto the road, and the surface itself was very badly distorted - lots of big humps and dents. The stretch between Dannevirke to Weber was much better fun.

Pongoroa has self-serve petrol (91?) these days.

I think I've done the northern bit of the western route between Hawke's Bay and Pahiatua, starting out in Hastings and moving south, switching to Route 52 at Waipukurau. If it's what I remember then it's a great ride.

Bike
    2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250

Thanks everyone for the great information!

Thank you all for the great information - even better than I asked for. Can't wait to get back to NZ see or friends, meet lots of new friendly folks, and have some beautiiful rides. I bunch of snow outside my Colorado window at the moment and temperatures just above freezing. It will be nice to catch some summer.

Thanks so much again for the great information and quick replies,

Mark and Suzy

P.S. If anyone is ever in need of some Colorado riding information (almost as nice as NZ, but with much more traffic) or Black Hills Rallye in South Dakota - Sturgis (wall to wall motorcycle traffic, but that is part of the appeal, right?) just let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post
    I've been through some of those roads a few times. Route 52 is mostly great riding but for the strech between Porongahau and Weber - it's very definitely a narrow back country road with some decreasing radius corners and a lot of patched repairs. The last time I rode it (Labour Weekend 2018) the logging trucks had been working the area, there was a lot of gravel pulled from the margins onto the road, and the surface itself was very badly distorted - lots of big humps and dents. The stretch between Dannevirke to Weber was much better fun.

Pongoroa has self-serve petrol (91?) these days.

I think I've done the northern bit of the western route between Hawke's Bay and Pahiatua, starting out in Hastings and moving south, switching to Route 52 at Waipukurau. If it's what I remember then it's a great ride.

Bike
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    So I've missed them, but if anyone else is thinking of riding in this area then the best road from Napier to Waipukurau is SH50, leaves just a little north of Hastings. It comes out on to SH1 south of Waipukurau at Takapau, but a short ride back north gets you to Waipukurau and SH52
    There are two songs, "Stairway to Heaven" and "Highway to Hell" which I think give an indication of expected traffic flow

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by release_the_bees View Post
    Also, if your that way inclined, the eastern route will allow you to get some pictures of your bike in front of the world's longest place name:

Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakanuip ikimaungapokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    i had a mate brought a farm right at that place, he was destined to do well but none of his cows survived the branding sadly and he went bankrupt.

Bike
    Indian Scout
    I have done the Masterton-Pongoroa to Akitio beach several times. it's reasonable quality seal most of the time. A beautiful road scenery wise with some enjoyable winding sections. A tad narrow and tight in places with limited visibility around corners, so leave the boy racer attitude at home and chill and enjoy the moment. And it sure is rural so expect farmers, tractors, quads and sheep.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    I have done the Masterton-Pongoroa to Akitio beach several times. it's reasonable quality seal most of the time. A beautiful road scenery wise with some enjoyable winding sections. A tad narrow and tight in places with limited visibility around corners, so leave the boy racer attitude at home and chill and enjoy the moment. And it sure is rural so expect farmers, tractors, quads and sheep.
    Great advice MD, I will get around to catch up soonish , so busy this retirement thing. xxx G.

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    I went through there on Sunday. There's currently roadworks all over the place and a ton of loose sheep between Alfreton and Weber.

The chill and enjoy the moment advice is particularly apt for this bit of road right now.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Thread Information