Thread: Tyre options

Bike
    2017 Husqvarana FS701

Tyre options

Afternoon team.

After thoughts/reviews on what tyres to replace on my 2017 Husky FS701. Current had ContiAttack SM fitted which have been ok - nothing to compare them to really with this being my first SM. Rear is now all but destroyed, so time to consider replacement. I want something pretty grippy that gives good progressive feedback as it is pushed. Riding is mostly road (love the tight, twisty stuff), but anticipate the odd track day. Not too fussed on price point, but obviously expect performance to match cost.

Ta.
    Nail your colours to the mast that all may look upon them and know who you are.
    It takes a big man to cry...and an even bigger man to laugh at that man.

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    I have a mate who has Michelin Power RS's on his SMC 690 and he rides very hard on the road. I have a lot of time for the Bridgestone S21. I had them on my DRZ400 SM and they were great, and relatively cheap!

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Afternoon team.

After thoughts/reviews on what tyres to replace on my 2017 Husky FS701. Current had ContiAttack SM fitted which have been ok - nothing to compare them to really with this being my first SM. Rear is now all but destroyed, so time to consider replacement. I want something pretty grippy that gives good progressive feedback as it is pushed. Riding is mostly road (love the tight, twisty stuff), but anticipate the odd track day. Not too fussed on price point, but obviously expect performance to match cost.

Ta.
    My 650 Bandit came with Bridgestones - I killed the rear in 4,000ks (2,000 of which was running in) ... tried Michelin Pilot Road and Pirrelli Diablos in an effort to improve milage .. killed both make rears in 5,000ks ..

Went to the Continental Road Attacks - killed the rear in 3,000ks .. but I loved the tyre so much I have run them ever since ..

I run Michelin Pilot Roads on my 1250 ... suit that bike and how I ride it better than the Continetal

Tyres go with the bike and the way you ride it. Try a few and see what suits you best - but my money is on the Contis ..
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    Ducati 748R
    Not a motard, but I have enjoyed the Michelin road 5s so far, done around 1500 km only issue I see is the soft side compound is wearing fast.

They give good feedback

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01
    In this day and age, unless you're constantly pushing the limit of your bike it's pretty hard to find a "bad" tyre IMHO.

You can fork out for mega grippy things which last 20 minutes and cost a billion dollars, or you can get a set of Michelin Pilot Road 2's which cost naff all and still get you from A to B at "the speed limit".

Currently I've got a set of Michelin Pilot Power 3's on my 996 and Michelin Power Pure SC's on the scooter (no chicken strips on that, knee down on roundabouts for days!). I've ridden with Pirellis, Bridestones, Dunlops, Continentals, and even some Avons, Metzellers, and Savas.. I've never run out of grip on road or track in all weathers except for when the tyre has been knackered or 'squared' etc.
    2001 Ducati 996S || 2008 Yamaha CygnusX
    FaceBrick

Bike
    Ducati 748R
    Quote Originally Posted by WALRUS View Post
    In this day and age, unless you're constantly pushing the limit of your bike it's pretty hard to find a "bad" tyre IMHO.

You can fork out for mega grippy things which last 20 minutes and cost a billion dollars, or you can get a set of Michelin Pilot Road 2's which cost naff all and still get you from A to B at "the speed limit".

Currently I've got a set of Michelin Pilot Power 3's on my 996 and Michelin Power Pure SC's on the scooter (no chicken strips on that, knee down on roundabouts for days!). I've ridden with Pirellis, Bridestones, Dunlops, Continentals, and even some Avons, Metzellers, and Savas.. I've never run out of grip on road or track in all weathers except for when the tyre has been knackered or 'squared' etc.
    No ham fisted throttle moments? ��

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by SVboy View Post
    I have a lot of time for the Bridgestone S21. I had them on my DRZ400 SM and they were great, and relatively cheap!
    The S21 would be my pick. Perhaps try the new S22, though not all sizes available at present.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by layton View Post
    Not a motard, but I have enjoyed the Michelin road 5s so far, done around 1500 km only issue I see is the soft side compound is wearing fast.

They give good feedback
    I don't think you're the first to find that. Some reports from the US of the shoulders disappearing last summer. Really good grip though.

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01
    Quote Originally Posted by layton View Post
    No ham fisted throttle moments? ��
    For sure there have been a few over the years but they've just resulted in accidental wheelies, accidental GP launches, and taking corners etc way way too hot (or throttling on into a decreasing radius corner). Unless I've subconsciously blocked it out because of the trauma haha!
    2001 Ducati 996S || 2008 Yamaha CygnusX
    FaceBrick

Bike
    2009 Husqvarna SM610ie
    Bumping an old thread. Options for a 16.5 inch front?

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlangMasterJ View Post
    Bumping an old thread. Options for a 16.5 inch front?
    lace in a 17 inch rim....

This is the only 16.5 inch tyre I know https://www.bits4bikes.co.nz/View-A-Product/Id/301 a 16.5 inch Motard front slick.

Bike
    2009 Husqvarna SM610ie
    Quote Originally Posted by malcy25 View Post
    lace in a 17 inch rim....

This is the only 16.5 inch tyre I know https://www.bits4bikes.co.nz/View-A-Product/Id/301 a 16.5 inch Motard front slick.
    Cheers. Would the spokes from the 16.5 transfer to the 17"?

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlangMasterJ View Post
    Cheers. Would the spokes from the 16.5 transfer to the 17"?
    probably not. But there are a few people around who could supply rim, spokes and lace the wheel, depending on where you are. I'm not familiar with where Zork is located.

I used to use Tom Morriss https://wheelandspoke.co.nz/contact.html, but he was talking about whether he would carry on. I think's probably sold up now to Ken Campbell. There's also Hamco in palmy etc.

A good wheel builder also understands the spoke angles and how the rim is drilled.

Thread Information