Thread: Any ideas about a slight tinkling sound? Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 ABS

Bike
    Royal Enfield Classic 500

Any ideas about a slight tinkling sound? Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 ABS

Hi all

I recently bought a new 2017 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 ABS (full power model) from Red Baron's closing down sale. It works fine but I quickly noticed a slight intermittent tinkling sound somewhere from the front left, and also a plastic sounding rattling noise. I tidied up some electrical cables and the plastic rattling noise is better, but I still get the metallic tinkle. It's more noticeable with speed changes and going over bumps. The bike is functioning well just this annoying thing that I can't ignore. I took it back into Red Baron who said there was no problem.

It sort of sounds like a small stone is stuck inside something..

I've tried to find if there's any loose components and I can't seem to find any obvious - there's a bit of play in all the indicator lights, the LED bar, and the gear shift tie rod but the bolts are quite tight and I assume to specification and as I said all functioning well.

I'll ask the guys at Spectrum who do its first service to check, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas?

I don't have much mechanical experience so any advice is appreciated!

Cheers

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Have you checked the internet forums?

It may be just the fuel injection - some bikes 'tick' when accelerating. 900 Hornet springs to mind as I had one. Not loud just audible. Louder mufflers cover it

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDGT
    possibly a stone flicked up behind a heat shield on exhaust or between pipes on headers etc?
    Political Correctness, the chief weapon of whiney arse bastards

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Do not ride in the same direction as the wind ... at the same speed as the wind then. The sounds you will hear will scare the shit out of you.

Motorcycles are full of strange noises ... some inherent to particular models ... some just individualist issues.

Graunching and grinding issues you don't ignore.

Keep a ear out for the cause ... but don't panic yet.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Royal Enfield Classic 500
    Thanks for suggestions. I've looked online but this is the first forum I've asked.

I'm not worried really since there seems to be no operational problem. I'll have another look see if I can find a stone or some such. I'm pretty sure it's not the engine ticking noise (I've noticed this already and it's obviously normal) - this is quite irregular and more likely with changes in speed and going over bumps.

Just seems odd with a new bike and all.. I've had two other new bikes and they had no unusual sounds at all when I first got them

Any other thoughts welcome, cheers

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    Indicator fluid leak

Thread Information