Thread: Intro and query about this bike (has a dent in fuel tank)

Bike
    2007, Kawasaki GPX 250

Intro and query about this bike (has a dent in fuel tank)

Hi my names Tom a westie, into bikes and looking at purchasing this bike but I'm a little worried about this dent on the fuel tank and the battery cover looks a bit wonky. Here's a couple of pix, I asked the person about the damage and they said somebody kicked it but I'm no expert and dents, bumps and bruises on bikes and it looks expensive to get the tank repaired or replaced (also can it get a WOF with a tank like that? another question that popped up) please help I'm such a newbie -
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bike dent 1.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	128.2 KB 
ID:	340694   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bike dent 2.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	485.8 KB 
ID:	340695   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	buike dent 3.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	449.0 KB 
ID:	340696  

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    It is a bottom of the range 250cc bike with 44,000km. And they want $1400 for it. Pretty sure you can do better...
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Dent is fine as long as it's not leaking fuel. Paint is probably cracked around the dent edge somewhere so it will slowly rust.

No problem getting a WOF with it.

To fix and paint will be expensive if you go professional. You'd never get the money back on resale.

You could always do it yourself and rattle can it satin black.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Here is a way better bike for a lot less,,,
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...4d69deeaa7e1db

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    +1 to what the others have said

It's a Hyosung. They're not worth much, for good reason. If it goes and has a WOF then maybe it'll be OK for a learner bike, but that's about it. There really isn't much point in fixing the tank, should you purchase it. You're way better off saving repair cash towards the next bike.

That said... the LAMs market is currently awash in great bikes. Appreciate that it's $1400 and you're on the road but is cash really that tight? Can you save for longer?

As to the cause of the dent, looks like the usual pulling up to park driveway splat, or possibly wind topple while parked. Low speed, unsightly but no serious damage. We all do it when we're learning.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TomThunder View Post
    Hi my names Tom a westie, into bikes and looking at purchasing this bike but I'm a little worried about this dent on the fuel tank and the battery cover looks a bit wonky. Here's a couple of pix, I asked the person about the damage and they said somebody kicked it but I'm no expert and dents, bumps and bruises on bikes and it looks expensive to get the tank repaired or replaced (also can it get a WOF with a tank like that? another question that popped up) please help I'm such a newbie -
    The dent is the least of your worries. On a Hyosung ... dents give it character. It wont affect the running of the bike and it wont affect the chances of getting a WOF.

The brand in itself ... does not feature highly in the reliability stakes. At 44,000 km's it's done well to get that far. I doubt if it's still under warranty.

If you still have the Volty ... we can understand the an upgrade in wheels is desired ... but this one would hardly be described as an upgrade.

I did a search on Trademe ... with upper cc level at 450cc. with the search area the entire North Island. Aside from a few four wheelers ... there was nothing over 250cc under $2000.

For those that want more pic's/info of the bike ...

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...89d089713be7f5
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2007, Kawasaki GPX 250
    Thanks so much for the details everyone - I really appreciate it, talk about an awesome kiwi website and bunch of people, cheers Tom!

Bike
    2007, Kawasaki GPX 250
    Hi,

Please if you could just help me with these few questions as they other info' was very helpful.

Is this scorpio any good compared to that one you posted for me to look at?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...62433c012f288b

Also I saw this but it needs to be revinned - the guy advised me that it takes a bit of time to start this Marauder (was thinking he wasn't using the choke properly if it even has one?) or is this something I should avoid?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Lis...?id=1889122409

Suzuki Marauder - needs to be revinned (saw the guide on here how to doit) also there's some oil by the engine pic that worried me or is that just rusty water?

Thanks again, Tom

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Go the scorpio with no issues, 12 months wof and 6 months reg. Last thing you want is a 250cc marauder that is not running properly and needs revinning.
    plus, when you are done with the scorpio, someone else will probably buy it. That Marauder is waiting for someone to blow up on!

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Agree with Laava, go the Scorpio - half the mileage and you aren't getting into the personal 'Nam that the Marauder will involve.

The Scorpio's a better learner bike anyway, looks and style might leave something to be desired but they're very easy and forgiving to ride.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TomThunder View Post
    Hi,

Please if you could just help me with these few questions as they other info' was very helpful.

Thanks again, Tom
    This would be better than both those two. Near the same size / weight ... and more cc's ...

Ok it's a honda ... but you'll live that down ... eventually ...

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...5f57e48a7fd145

PS. It IS LAM's approved.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2007, Kawasaki GPX 250

Got me a bike and it's a....

Firstly, thanks so much for your responses, it really helped me with with my decision.

Also this forum is really helpful overall so keep up the great work (man I started watching videos on biking and even stuff on torque/rpm/hp/low end torque with interest so cheers!...I think lol)

Today I purchased a Kawasaki GPX 250, (2007) for a good price and am enjoying it (dude through in a new helmet, stoked!)

Thanks again and see ya'll around this place, kind regards: Tom

Thread Information