Thread: Wanting to buy - HD 883 engine.

Bike
    GSXR1000

Wanting to buy - HD 883 engine.

For an upcoming project I'm looking to buy an 883 engine. Anything considered but ideally 2004 onwards. Would prefer carb'ed but will also consider Fi. Ready to buy now for the right engine.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    For an upcoming project I'm looking to buy an 883 engine. Anything considered but ideally 2004 onwards. Would prefer carb'ed but will also consider Fi. Ready to buy now for the right engine.
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...81d510bad307b0
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Cheers, might have secured one out of the 'states, will confirm tomorrow that this engine will work (from an efi bike but I intend to carb it). Fingers crossed.

Bike
    BSA A10
    (from an efi bike but I intend to carb it).
    Luddite...
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    husaberg
    Cheers, might have secured one out of the 'states, will confirm tomorrow that this engine will work (from an efi bike but I intend to carb it). Fingers crossed.
    https://thunderpress.net/editorial/c...2013/03/08.htm
    But…
    If you try XB heads on a Sportster, you’ll quickly discover that XB heads do not have the carb mount holes machined or tapped, although the bosses are there. The 2004–2006 XL1200 heads are identical to the Buell XB heads except carb mount/breather bolt holes are already drilled and tapped; no need to do it yourself or have it done.
    In 2007, with the wholesale switch to fuel injection on the Sportster line, H-D changed the machined depth of the intake manifold flanges by 1/16″, as well as the bolt hole spacing. If you’re using 2007-or-later (EFI) heads on a 2006-or-earlier (carburetor) motor, you’ll need new intake manifold flanges to match. You’ll also need to take care to properly center your manifold on installation to avoid causing an intake leak.
    2004–2006 XL heads do not have a provision for a head temp sensor. Buell XB heads and the 2007-and-later XL1200 heads are equipped for a temp sensor on the rear head.
    2007–present (EFI) XL1200 heads are identical to the 2004–2006 version except for a small change to the floor of the intake port. The change actually makes the flow through this port slightly less laminar than the 2004–2006 head. It’s not an enormous difference, but in stock form this head is capable of supporting a few horsepower less.
    As delivered from the factory, these XB/XL heads are 0.020″ shorter than the previous generation heads, at 3.670″ instead of 3.690″. Normally this is not enough to worry about with respect to pushrod length and manifold fit. However, if you’re shortening the motor further via thin gaskets or further decking, if you’ve shortened the stack by 0.045″ to 0.050″ overall—it’s something to be aware of and checked closely.
    Lastly, none of these late-model stock heads are available from the factory in an assembled form. You have to buy the heads bare and then buy the valves, springs, retainers, locks, and guide seal/locaters separately and do the assembly yourself.
    Should be fine better heads too by the look of it already bathtubbed
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Thread Information