Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The best and worst thing about your job?

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Quote Originally Posted by russd7 View Post
    second part of my job, health and safety co-ordinator, best part, taking a factory that had pretty much no health and safety to passing an audit with flying colours,
    worst part, trying to convince people that health and safety is about attitude and does not actually make their job harder.
    Well done. I know how much work goes into an audit. Persevere with the people. It's a hell of a buzz when someone who was always 'anti' finally sees the light.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Best: I get paid. Ergo I get to keep the bike.

Worst: I have to work. Even though I get to keep the bike. Summer days it is no contest. Stinky winter days it is a moot point...

Simple really.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    Well done. I know how much work goes into an audit. Persevere with the people. It's a hell of a buzz when someone who was always 'anti' finally sees the light.
    its not so much anti, its more arrogance of "I know better so it doesn't apply to me" and the small town attitude of "oh that only applies to big cities and big companies."(actually had that said to me by a couple of the other staff members)
    owners want health and safety but don't/wont put the foot down and say do it or walk, can be frustrating but I look back and generally a lot has improved

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by russd7 View Post
    its not so much anti, its more arrogance of "I know better so it doesn't apply to me" and the small town attitude of "oh that only applies to big cities and big companies."(actually had that said to me by a couple of the other staff members)
    owners want health and safety but don't/wont put the foot down and say do it or walk, can be frustrating but I look back and generally a lot has improved
    Just read them some of the penalties for directors personally* in the HSWA and watch shit change. Its the only thing that has changed the attitude to safety in NZ IMO

*including jail time!
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    2017 Triumph Tiger XCA
    Quote Originally Posted by bluninja View Post
    IT Solutions Architect at a DHB

Best bit, good people around the workplace, being able to make a difference in people's lives., a window seat, cuddly toys on my shelf and a stress ball.

worst Bit: vendors who charge like a wounded bull for health software that is 20 years out of date and doesn't integrate with other stuff. Managers that play buzzword bingo...we are being rebranded Digital Services....we have a few analogue phone lines, but computers have been digital since Charles Babbage and Cloud is just other peoples computers
    Ahhh. I sense you are talking about ISoft. I had the misfortune to deal with them as a vendor about 10 years ago. They were 20 years out of date then, and charged like a wounded bull...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Best - motorcycles.

Worst - motorcyclists.

Nah, just joking.......

....motorcycles are boring.

Bike
    R100GSPD

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01
    Insurance Underwriter

Good: Pays mortgage, services Ducati, buys guitars, no face to face with my company's customers

Bad: Internal Customers, "Corporate Attire", too many squares in the office who gauge their importance by how expensive their tie was
    2001 Ducati 996S || 2008 Yamaha CygnusX
    FaceBrick

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    Just read them some of the penalties for directors personally* in the HSWA and watch shit change. Its the only thing that has changed the attitude to safety in NZ IMO

*including jail time!
    The owners know what the penalties are, problem is they have had two incidents investigated in the past, one was before I started working for them and one about 12mnths after I started working for them, they got off pretty much scot free on both, the second incident a colleague cut his thumb off on a table saw, I was the only one in the workshop when it happened and had to suggested to that particular colleague that the way he was using the saw is unsafe as had another colleague that worked there at the time, but he knew better as he had done some night classes (arrogance that I mentioned in my first post), I was not interviewed by the OSH investigator at all as part of the investigation, the only reason the company had any thing to show OSH was because I had written up a basic H&S manual as soon as I started (there was no H&S system in place at all), the only thing the company had to do was put us through an apprenticeship, consequently I am now Technically a qualified furniture maker.
    the employee got off scott free.

the only thing the company learnt was that as a small company they would only get a smack on the hand

I got made H&S co Ordinator when the new penalties came in but that same employee is still there and still doing the same old shit.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by WALRUS View Post
    Insurance Underwriter

Good: Pays mortgage, services Ducati, buys guitars, no face to face with my company's customers

Bad: Internal Customers, "Corporate Attire", too many squares in the office who gauge their importance by how expensive their tie was
    What you need is a decent earthquake. There has been a massive change in "office culture" in this town since then. I rarely wear a suit these days, have worn a tie twice in the last four years (funerals both times) and if I ride the motorbike to work I wear jeans and boots. even way stuffier law firms than ours seem to go for suits or blazers/pants and shirt no tie now. Also a huge (entirely money driven) shift to open plan offices (which suckdiddlyuck). If you dont see customers/clients and spend your day in an office dealing with people on the other side of a computer screen there is no reason whatever you cant wear fishnets, a loincloth and a gold sequinned tanktop to work. All that other stuff is bullshit. Took a major natural disaster to show us that.

Bike
    husaberg
    If you dont see customers/clients and spend your day in an office dealing with people on the other side of a computer screen there is no reason whatever you cant wear fishnets, a loincloth and a gold sequinned tanktop to work. All that other stuff is bullshit.
    odd i can think of a few reasons.you big city folk
    Where i used to work the for a pretty big stuff SOE the CEO took to wearing jeans and shirt everyone followed suit.
    I am expected to wear approved colour dress pants now and a corporate sourced 1 or 3 designs shirt. kind of sucks.
    Open plan offices is old hat, hot desking is the new de-clutterd look.
    I walked into one of our offices in a provincial city the other day and was amazed to see old school office cuby hole dividers ful of notes etc . It was like a rabbit warren.
    The hot desking saves on office supples, no need for everyone to have stapler etc. Be no good for anyone that wants to have private conversations though.
    I mainly work out of home now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Heavy machine driving moving big stuff...

Best- Outdoors with views most of time and playing with variety of big boys toys that many only ever dream of using... employer always investing in upskilling and training plus safe work culture

Worst- A slight mistake can be fatal to you or others and not something you can sweep with broom before the boss gets back....
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    raptor 1000
    there is no reason whatever you cant wear fishnets, a loincloth and a gold sequinned tanktop to work. .
    just the usual then

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by JimO View Post
    just the usual then
    It was what I was wearing when I posted.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    I am expected to wear approved colour dress pants now and a corporate sourced 1 or 3 designs shirt. kind of sucks.
    The only MUST WEAR items in my job is a life-jacket and steel toed Gumboots. Everything else is optional.

But as the air temperature is usually between 6-10 degrees (C) ... fashion and frills don't feature. Getting wet is common (if not usual) so common sense applies.

But the view out the office window (if you can see anything) changes daily.

Attached are a few images of a few things you see ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG0615.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	340749   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF8492.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	768.5 KB 
ID:	340750   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF8048.jpg 
Size:	549.0 KB 
ID:	340751   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG0619.jpg 
Size:	662.3 KB 
ID:	340752  
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Thread Information