Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The best and worst thing about your job?

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    As you hsve learned Bosses tell people what to do leaders get the best out of people Dave.
    Even though a 'leader' sounds the most inspiring, the best managers are a combination of both boss and leader. The percentage changes depending on the task. Some times a boss is needed more than a leader.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    Even though a 'leader' sounds the most inspiring, the best managers are a combination of both boss and leader. The percentage changes depending on the task. Some times a boss is needed more than a leader.
    I agree of course.but if the leader is decent he will command enough respect he shouldn't need to throw his weight around thats what managers and sergeants are for.

if he has no others whose primary responsibility to maintain discipline the simplest method is to remove non team players from the team same as a coach would from a sports team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    I agree of course.but if the leader is decent he will command enough respect he shouldn't need to throw his weight around thats what managers and sergeants are for.

if he has no others whose primary responabilty to maintain disapline the simplest method is to remove non team players from the team same as a couch would from a sports team.
    Some staff are self starters and need minimal imput, others seem to need more.
    I remember once at a job interview that I was not too fussed about saying" so what you want is a self starting person with initiative who is a team player.
    The military is probably not a good example.
    If you ran a business along those lines you would have no staff pretty quick.
    Surely the couch's job is to support the viewers at home
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    Some staff are self starters and need minimal imput, others seem to need more.
    I remember once at a job interview that I was not too fussed about saying" so what you want is a self starting person with initiative who is a team player.
    The military is probably not a good example.
    If you ran a business along those lines you would have no staff pretty quick.
    Surely the couch's job is to support the viewers at home
    Possibly i might bench seat myself.
    Yes i prefer someone who thinks before they acts. As situations change.
    The army model admittedly while relying on a captive workforce, works.
    The people with the flair and initiative and above av intelligence are filtered out and sent to officer and NCO training.

To get a true team player in the situation, the army wants them in, The foot soilders have to follow without question.
    In order to achieve this, they first break down an individual and build them back up again they way they want them.

"so what you want is a self starting person with initiative who is a team player."
    I think these attributes are not mutually exclusive, these people just need reminding more often that its not an individual sport and that there are team goals.
    initiative should be always acknowledged, just needs to be channeled towards productive endeavors.
    I dont think you can teach initiative, but you can foster it.
    I think leaders are great listeners just as much a role models or strategists.
    They need to understand whats going on and why people do things in certain ways and gain trust to get to what the real issues are.

I have 12 people in my Team.
    The work thery do is highly regulatory and rule bound and process driven.
    But the people all individually plan their own work and rosters.
    They are distributed the work but its up to them when they do it within the time frames.
    Most people in our organisation think my job is to make sure they do it prioritize it correctly and do it correctly.
    But the majority of my job to to remove the impediments to them doing it quickly and productively.
    I am have thus far got good results moving tasks to others and freeing up time for them to do what they do best ie generate money.
    Funny enough over the years since i left previously 10 years ago and then came back so many additional admin tasks had been passed on to these staff they were unable to generate the expected revenue.
    While the staff in the admin departments were the ones who passed on these tasks see themselves as being to important to carry out these tasks they are far better equipped, trained and suited to carrying out.
    This happened as the feild and admin teams had their own separate management and clearly separate agendas.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberk View Post
    Don't ever try to figure a sociopath out other than then have no conscience and no real feelings after than anger, if you have to interact say nothing personal as they will only feed of it.
    Never let on that you suspect they are a sociopath. Or else you will become a target.
    You would be one of the biggest sociopaths around.

Your pathological targeting of certain individuals on here is legendary.*

*(And not legendary in a good way).

Bike
    husaberg
    You would be one of the biggest sociopaths around.

Your pathological targeting of certain individuals on here is legendary.*

*(And not legendary in a good way).
    I sometimes wish i was a sociopath, that way i wouldnt feel sorry for you Steve so often.
    Unlike, say you steve, I never target individuals who are not narcissistic racist trolls, A sociopath would only target what they viewed to be weak.
    That said, some might call you a sociopath Steve, but its clear, you don't actually function high enough to ever be be one, as you lack the required social skills.
    While you talk a good game, but unfortunately, most would define you as a garden variety narcissistic troll.

Ps Humour me Steve exactly how many sites have you been kicked off from now?

I hope that reply gave you the attention you so craved.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    Sold

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Jesus don't start me on military. Had to deal with way too many fucked up .

. anyway let's not start.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Sold
    I've been watching this thread with interest. I retired at 60 and throughout my working career, the technical stuff was always enjoyable, even the knotty problems. It was always the people-related stuff which caused the greatest grief. Dealt with militant unionists in the 80's (remember the national boilermaker and rigger delegates?) and whilst frustrating, it was pretty straightforward. The biggest problem was executive management in our company who by and large were ill-informed and seat of the pants operators who most certainly didn't walk the talk. This cost us dearly in both true costs and morale.

In my whole working life, I only worked for 2 people who were genuine leaders as opposed to good managers. Rather than repeat myself, I actually put pen to paper and the link to it is below. There's even a motorcycle connection! Wonder how many other people have had the same experience?

https://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2017...irational.html

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    I've been watching this thread with interest. I retired at 60 and throughout my working career, the technical stuff was always enjoyable, even the knotty problems. It was always the people-related stuff which caused the greatest grief. Dealt with militant unionists in the 80's (remember the national boilermaker and rigger delegates?) and whilst frustrating, it was pretty straightforward. The biggest problem was executive management in our company who by and large were ill-informed and seat of the pants operators who most certainly didn't walk the talk. This cost us dearly in both true costs and morale.

In my whole working life, I only worked for 2 people who were genuine leaders as opposed to good managers. Rather than repeat myself, I actually put pen to paper and the link to it is below. There's even a motorcycle connection! Wonder how many other people have had the same experience?

Carbonhead posted this the otherday its a long watch but highly intersting and not at it what you would think from a 4 star general.

He compare 13 leaders from thatcher to martin luther king to General lee and so on.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    A

You too huh Geoff? I've found this an odd thread to follow, maybe it's because I'm sliding into semi-retirement mode, or dealing with the boss vs leader syndrome first hand and it leads to thoughts of good & bad in my job

The irony of ill-informed executive management which was one of your issues, well let's just say it sums up my frustrations in my present corporate entity

In short, the best and worst thing in my job? The people and the people.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    You too huh Geoff? I've found this an odd thread to follow, maybe it's because I'm sliding into semi-retirement mode, or dealing with the boss vs leader syndrome first hand and it leads to thoughts of good & bad in my job

The irony of ill-informed executive management which was one of your issues, well let's just say it sums up my frustrations in my present corporate entity

In short, the best and worst thing in my job? The people and the people.
    Hi Rob,
    Your last sentence sums it up perfectly. Taking the broader view, I guess we shouldn't be surprised. Truly exceptional people, whether it be top management, tradespeople, health workers or whatever are rare. Part of the human pareto curve I suppose. Yet when an exceptional person pops up, the impact on the people around that person is massive. I would have walked over broken glass for the people I mentioned in the blog post. It changes lives too.

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Hi Rob,
    Yet when an exceptional person pops up, the impact on the people around that person is massive. I would have walked over broken glass for the people I mentioned in the blog post. It changes lives too.
    Yes. Two of my managers (one was a General Manager) I would have walked into hell for (as long as they were infront of me). They others ... not so much. A couple I would have pushed through the gates of hell then run away.
    Grow older but never grow up

Thread Information