Thread: Km 450 exc road legal.

Bike
    F800GS 2014/KLX250 S 2009

Km 450 exc road legal.

Recently bought a 2007 Ktm 450 exc. Came with a box of stuff to make it road legal. Want to register the bike so it doesn't have to be trailered everywhere. Mate who works at Vtnz says he doenst think it can be. Anyone on here registered one. Exc's are road legal models and some on trade me are registered already?

Bike
    KTM 530EXC-R
    Quote Originally Posted by Redline_930 View Post
    Recently bought a 2007 Ktm 450 exc. Came with a box of stuff to make it road legal. Want to register the bike so it doesn't have to be trailered everywhere. Mate who works at Vtnz says he doenst think it can be. Anyone on here registered one. Exc's are road legal models and some on trade me are registered already?
    It can be done, but it's a real pain. Get in touch with VTNZ and ask them for the list of paperwork they require, my experience is its differs between branches / who you deal with. If the bike has never been registered before there is additional paperwork you'll need to get from KTM New Zealand showing the bike was built to specific standards. Brake declaration will be needed, proof of ownership from new with paperwork showing it was legally imported. As per my reply in your other thread, it's a lot easier to just buy an already registered bike. Good luck.

Bike
    EXC450
    I don't think it is a problem. My EXC is registered. My friend bought a 530 back from the US last year and got is vinned. Needed the original indicators as new LED ones weren't acceptable.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by timmehpwr View Post
    It can be done, but it's a real pain. Get in touch with VTNZ and ask them for the list of paperwork they require, my experience is its differs between branches / who you deal with. If the bike has never been registered before there is additional paperwork you'll need to get from KTM New Zealand showing the bike was built to specific standards. Brake declaration will be needed, proof of ownership from new with paperwork showing it was legally imported. As per my reply in your other thread, it's a lot easier to just buy an already registered bike. Good luck.
    Thanks, but there were no road registered KTM's available at the time, near me. Will just directly contact VTNZ and see what paperwork they want. From the Bikes VIN no they could likely tell its a road legal variety. I've fitted all the road legal stuff now, only the horn left to fit, everything else is done. Think previous owner had possibly owned from new.

Bike

Cant Register it with VTNZ?

Well spoke with VTNZ testing station and ran the Vin no. They say it wasnt a reserved Vin no for use on road, so cant do any inspections on it. Not sure where to go from there. Ive emailed NZTA. Seems odd that a bike manufactured for the road, legal in most countires and with all the original OEM equipment cant be road registered here, when I can build something from scratch in the back yard and have it road regsitered?

So if anyone here has actually gone thru this, would be good to know how, as VTNZ arent interested.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Have you spoken to your KTM dealer? Thy may have done this before.

Bike
    Ducati 748R
    generally if it wasnt meant for road use, you will have to get KTM to say it is suitable for roaduse. good luck.

Bike

Cant Register it with VTNZ?

Spoke with the local KTM dealer, they only suggested contacting KTM NZ to see if there is an original MR2A import document that proves bike is a road legal model. Sent an email to KTM NZ to see if such a document exists from when it first came into NZ. Will see if there is a reply from them.

Also called LTNZ registration people, who have suggested LVV (low volume vehicle) inspection might be possibility. As that's the path you take for a custom or home built vehicle. Spoke to the only local bloke certified for motor-bike inspections, and he's not doing inspections any more. Have a feeling its going to be a long road to get the bike legal. Seems odd that a bike built to be road legal cant easily be registered, would be easier if I made it myself??

Anyhow if someone has been down a similar road before it would be good to hear from you about how you get thru all the legal hoops. Fitting the stuff to the bike seems to be the easy bit!!

Bike
    Ducati 748R
    Spoke with the local KTM dealer, they only suggested contacting KTM NZ to see if there is an original MR2A import document that proves bike is a road legal model. Sent an email to KTM NZ to see if such a document exists from when it first came into NZ. Will see if there is a reply from them.

Also called LTNZ registration people, who have suggested LVV (low volume vehicle) inspection might be possibility. As that's the path you take for a custom or home built vehicle. Spoke to the only local bloke certified for motor-bike inspections, and he's not doing inspections any more. Have a feeling its going to be a long road to get the bike legal. Seems odd that a bike built to be road legal cant easily be registered, would be easier if I made it myself??

Anyhow if someone has been down a similar road before it would be good to hear from you about how you get thru all the legal hoops. Fitting the stuff to the bike seems to be the easy bit!!
    i tried this on a dirt bike years ago, to get LVV cert on something like that it needs to be modded more then 50% from what i recall.
    i am in nelson also, and had a GN125 certified last week by Neville Simpson (cert-a-car) The GN was an insurance write off but he may be able to help.

His number is (03) 5419504 may be worth a try.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by layton View Post
    i tried this on a dirt bike years ago, to get LVV cert on something like that it needs to be modded more then 50% from what i recall.
    i am in nelson also, and had a GN125 certified last week by Neville Simpson (cert-a-car) The GN was an insurance write off but he may be able to help.

His number is (03) 5419504 may be worth a try.
    Thanks Found a Guy called Kevin Baker Recommended by a friend who has done something similar with an XR 600, who has advised talking with KTM and seeing if they have original import docs, or can enter the Vin into the LTNZ Landata system. I emailed KTM NZ last week, but no answer from them so far. If I cant get original documents that show ownership trail from new and a registered VIN, then its going to be much more difficult.

Bike

Smile ITs registered

Just in case anyone else is thinking of going down the same road.

I finally have the 450EXC road registered.

Lots of paperwork and hoops had to be jumped thru.

1/ Legal Compliance statement from KTM NZ, which they sent me FOC. Must show the VIN no of the bike.
    2/ Statutory declaration on ownership ( counter signed by a Justice of the peace)
    3/ Bill of sale (NZTA have a pro former one)
    4/ A formal compliance inspection was then done ( v similar to a WOF) and eventually a WOF was issued.
    5/ an MR2A was then issued (legal importation document)
    6/ Lastly took all of the paperwork to the AA, and they issued the plates today, so now its fully road legal.

Had to put new road legal tyres on the bike, and Fit all of the Original OEM kit to the bike (Lights/indicators/horn/turn signals) but that box of bits atleast came with the bike, so was just a question of fitting it all. If you don't have all that stuff It could be even more costly.

So atleast I can ride my bike to the trails.

Bike
    KTM530EXC
    I have a 2008KTM530. The VIN is in the system and it is possible to register it. But, I just bought a frame from another 530 that has rego on hold. Currently transferring everything over. Just a quick question - does anyone know if the engine will come out in one lump, or should I remove the head first? It looks like a tight fit. In fact, I doubt the head will come off in the frame. Will be doing it over the next couple of days.
    "May all your traffic lights be green and none of your curves have oncoming semis in them." Rocky, American Biker.
    "Those that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 18th C.

Bike
    KTM530EXC
    Well - the engine will not come out with the head on. Saw a vid on YouTube where a guy removed the head. Might as well get a new piston at the same time. It's always amazing how bad stuff can be when you pull it apart. I will be making one bike from a pair and will be lucky to find 100% good parts.

Rattle-can Hammerite smooth black on the frame. Amazing stuff.

Are parts interchangeable with the KTM450 I wonder?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	57010176_10156079309787539_8585341068642353152_n.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	150.3 KB 
ID:	341556  
    "May all your traffic lights be green and none of your curves have oncoming semis in them." Rocky, American Biker.
    "Those that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 18th C.

Bike
    2011 KTM450exc
    Just in case anyone else is thinking of going down the same road.

I finally have the 450EXC road registered.

Lots of paperwork and hoops had to be jumped thru.

1/ Legal Compliance statement from KTM NZ, which they sent me FOC. Must show the VIN no of the bike.
    2/ Statutory declaration on ownership ( counter signed by a Justice of the peace)
    3/ Bill of sale (NZTA have a pro former one)
    4/ A formal compliance inspection was then done ( v similar to a WOF) and eventually a WOF was issued.
    5/ an MR2A was then issued (legal importation document)
    6/ Lastly took all of the paperwork to the AA, and they issued the plates today, so now its fully road legal.

Had to put new road legal tyres on the bike, and Fit all of the Original OEM kit to the bike (Lights/indicators/horn/turn signals) but that box of bits atleast came with the bike, so was just a question of fitting it all. If you don't have all that stuff It could be even more costly.

So atleast I can ride my bike to the trails.
    Hi,
    I am trying to go through the same process now with my 2011exc.
    Who did you get to issue the MR2A and formal compliance inspection? What was the cost like? And was the bill of sale just from the last owner to you?
    Any help would be appreciated as the guys at vtnz dont want to help at all and when I call nzta they tell me to ask vtnz.
    Thank you.

Bike
    KTM530EXC

KTM530 to 450 conversion.

If anyone is interested - I have almost finished rebuilding a KTM450EXC from the frame up. Well, it started out as a 530 but now it has a 450 bottom end with the shorter barrel - same piston size. You need the shorter camchain and shorter headbolts. The gaskets are the same. Presto - it fired up and runs beautifully (with Dirt Tricks cam tensioner - a must). With new plastics - it looks almost like new! Not only that - the shorter barrel means you can take the engine out of the frame easily, unlike the mission-like puzzle for the 530. The only reason I did this was I had a shot 530 bottom end and found a 450 to replace it. It was a risk - but it worked.

Thread Information