Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: high flow sv1000s exhaust headers

Bike
    XR650R

high flow sv1000s exhaust headers

Hi, so my brother has talked me into making him a new exhaust for his sv1000s, I did some calculations and decided on basicly the same size as std diameter, but in a slight tapered style, which ive found gives increased acceleration thru boosting the torque curve, which is what he's asked for, more usable midrange.
    so I've just removed the stock exhaust after getting a base dyno run, which showed 109.7 hp/ 66ft lb torque.
    I must say the stock headers are terrible, especially the rear header, and all of the tailpipe aren't much better.
    so I'm expecting it to improve to around 120hp
    but mostly to increase roll on torque.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Keep us posted. 10hp is big gain to expect just from the exhaust (assume a custom map).

Bike
    XR650R
    considering how bad the stocker is, it should be achievable, I am going to retain his yoshi mufflers, and the headers will be separate to each muffler.
    yes it will get dyno tuned after, I'm still wondering how to post pics on this forum ?

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Im surprised at the lack of torque they have. Thought they were torque monsters. Guess not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    I'm pretty sure I've read on the SV forums a 2-1 punches out good power. Might be worth a troll through their site.

Bike
    XR650R
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    I'm pretty sure I've read on the SV forums a 2-1 punches out good power. Might be worth a troll through their site.
    I did have a look thru there site, it does seem another problem may arise with my previous plan, individual pipes may alter power delivery even at std length.
    so i investigated the two - 1 option, it's very tight fitting to get near stock pulse wave length, looks like il have to alter the oil cooler mt to reduce front header an extra 2 inches.
    and make a curved collector to get it to fit at 660mm length header.

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Can remember a few on the TL site tried 2/1 but no power gains of much note,still got a 2 Bros 2/1 header setup in the shed that i had on the TL years back fwiw.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Have a M4 exhaust on my old S and outta interest went looking for pics of an SV with same,came across this with 2/1 M4 setup,front header doesnt seem any closer than the setup on mine fwiw.

Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    XR650R
    Hi, yes I looked at the m4 setup and the yoshi, they're getting around the problem by putting a crossover pipe before the collector, it's a compromise, yet I may have to do simular as it's not looking viable to get headers to join @ collector at the length needed.
    he likes the idea of only needing one muffler though, otherwise I could replicate stock style of individual pipes with a crossover pipe.

Bike
    XR650R
    Hi, so I've managed to get the headers equal length, made a short curved collector, fitted tailpipe up to one of his yoshi mufflers tonight, in the morning I'll reinstall the shock and give it a test run - then I'll know if I have to install a crossover pipe.
    I'll take a couple of pics to post 2moro.
    it certainly sounds sweet with the single muffler !

Bike
    XR650R
    Hi, so I gave it a run - must say it's seems to going considerably better, more roll on torque, and much better power from 4k up all the way to "redline" , that in particular was poor before, above 8 k it previously felt anemic.
    still have to go over it after a couple more runs to inspect for any cracks, as tapered header exhausts run very hot and will fracture any weak weld joints.
    then I'll give it some hi-temp paint , while I'm waiting for a spot on brents dyno for some fuel tuning.

Bike
    XR650R
    Hi, so I've got sv booked in for dyno tune on Monday
    I've just painted the headers, took a couple of pics beforehand
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190221_140041.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	644.4 KB 
ID:	340970Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190221_140113.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	502.6 KB 
ID:	340969

Bike
    Ducati 748R
    Looks the part, I have found that an orbital sander will remove and clean up the grinding marks quite well!

Bike
    XR650R
    yes i use a flap disc mainly to clean up the welds, I painted it, then remembered I was going to weigh it to see how much lighter it was, took it down town for a new wof, when I got back I See it's burning the hi-temp paint off !
    I ordered a k&n air filter on Friday morning, motozone texted me this morning to say I could pick it up, so I've fitted that as well as opening up the snorkel to allow easier access for the air to get in. I checked the spark plugs- white as ceramics, so it's running very lean, be interesting to see what numbers it throws out, I'm fairly confident it's over 120hp @ wheel, but the torque feels much improved, and I haven't reset the cam lobe centers yet....

Bike
    Ducati 748R
    Quote Originally Posted by Temporary-Kiwi View Post
    yes i use a flap disc mainly to clean up the welds, I painted it, then remembered I was going to weigh it to see how much lighter it was, took it down town for a new wof, when I got back I See it's burning the hi-temp paint off !
    I ordered a k&n air filter on Friday morning, motozone texted me this morning to say I could pick it up, so I've fitted that as well as opening up the snorkel to allow easier access for the air to get in. I checked the spark plugs- white as ceramics, so it's running very lean, be interesting to see what numbers it throws out, I'm fairly confident it's over 120hp @ wheel, but the torque feels much improved, and I haven't reset the cam lobe centers yet....
    are they not 120 standard? or there abouts?

Thread Information