Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do with a CBR1000RR in Wellington?

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Temporary-Kiwi View Post
    one day while we were fanging around, some riders (cyclists) arrived and were watching us .
    i remember being six years old once and writing in my school journal too.

Bike
    Honda CBR1000RR 2004

Question

Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    If this isnt a pisstake, youve been severely mis-informed.
    Yes, I do enjoy exaggerating slightly for dramatic effect.
    I would get at least a 125cc

But seriously, what part was I misinformed about?

A NZ friend of mine said "don't bring that bike to NZ, you'll get deported."
    (a piece of my heart got deported when I heard that)

So yeah. A rather dramatic piece of (serious) advice that I received.

Not that I'm a speedster. I've never exceeded the speed limit intentionally. But these machines can do it quite quickly, then you're like britney spears "Oops, I did it again"

Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Maybe do some research on our speed limits & come back to us.
    I drove around Wellington, Auckland and the north half of the South Island. I saw the signs with my own eyes.
    If I said something that's not correct, please enlighten me?

Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    We have speed limits?
    Superbike, supercar pop down ya money and off ya go.
    Is this just a fantasy joke that you wish was true? What are you actually saying?

Quote Originally Posted by Temporary-Kiwi View Post
    but a radar detector , ride backroads
    No laser?? Oldschool...

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Speed limit in town is 50kph, although some town centres are 30kph and that's usually plenty fast enough where it applies. Once you leave town the limit is mostly 100kph, although there is a current fad for an 80kph limit in some places. Additional taxation may accrue if you ignore these, but many do. Time and place etc...
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post

No laser?? Oldschool...
    Wrong. NZ Highway Patrol on the move and camera vans use microwave radar. Laser jammers don't work on them. Hand held lasers are a bit less common in terms of use by the police over here. As an aside, I recently saw that a UK motorist got absolutely hammered for using a radar jammer as the judiciary charged him with perverting the course of justice.

I didn't bother to re-fit my detector and screamer when I bought the current bike 3 years ago and it's just sitting in the shed. As Pritch says......... "time and place"

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    As an aside, I recently saw that a UK motorist got absolutely hammered for using a radar jammer as the judiciary charged him with perverting the course of justice.
    That's creative. I always understood that the charge would involve making an unlicensed radio transmission.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    That's creative. I always understood that the charge would involve making an unlicensed radio transmission.
    Have found the original article. A fine of 1500 pounds and 3 months jail - that's a pretty serious deterrent : https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...evice-BMW.html . Using a detector is one thing but actively jamming is another. British systems seem to predominantly use lasers and time/distance systems rather than microwaves.

The whole business of jamming is a bit of a minefield if you read independent tests as there are a bunch of them which don't actually work. The ones which do work are pretty expensive toys which suggest you've got to be a serious serial speeder, a pretty dumb one or both. I guess it's partially age and my position with IAM but I get a bigger kick from riding well on the road and leaving serious speeds for the track.

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one

you need better friends, that one sounds like a fuckwit.

bring your bike or sell and buy a replacement the same when you arrive if its cheaper that way with importing etc.

Fuckin heaps of great roads that are a lot of fun on a 1000cc bike in NZ. wherever you live youll not need to travel more than about half an hour to find somewhere that offers a great ride.

Bike
    A
    Have found the original article. A fine of 1500 pounds and 3 months jail - that's a pretty serious deterrent : https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...evice-BMW.html . Using a detector is one thing but actively jamming is another. British systems seem to predominantly use lasers and time/distance systems rather than microwaves.

The whole business of jamming is a bit of a minefield if you read independent tests as there are a bunch of them which don't actually work. The ones which do work are pretty expensive toys which suggest you've got to be a serious serial speeder, a pretty dumb one or both. I guess it's partially age and my position with IAM but I get a bigger kick from riding well on the road and leaving serious speeds for the track.
    Crikey, reading your post and then agreeing with it makes me feel older than my 59 years Geoff

The guys I rode with today have a newfound appreciation for bendy roads and one of them belongs to our pet food company as well

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Crikey, reading your post and then agreeing with it makes me feel older than my 59 years Geoff

The guys I rode with today have a newfound appreciation for bendy roads and one of them belongs to our pet food company as well
    This one of the days you feel 59 Rob?

Yep, being able to properly nail a bend sequence is far more rewarding than belting down a straight

Bike
    A
    This one of the days you feel 59 Rob?

Yep, being able to properly nail a bend sequence is far more rewarding than belting down a straight
    Hahaha, nah more like 39 when I'm sniffing fresh country air from my helmet

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Ahhhhhhhhh, you guys, stop it! Fresh? Country air, where the hell does that come from?, whats ahelmet?
    How do you speed? Corners,! Yeahhhhhhhhhhh, mush more fun a big ol Nonda Twin, OK, not so old.
    Riding is for all ages, I guess some ages just don't get it aye guys.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    Honda CBR1000RR 2004
    Thanks for the replies guys

Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Speed limit in town is 50kph, although some town centres are 30kph and that's usually plenty fast enough where it applies. Once you leave town the limit is mostly 100kph, although there is a current fad for an 80kph limit in some places. Additional taxation may accrue if you ignore these, but many do. Time and place etc...
    IIRC my mate said if you go more than 20 or 30km/h over the speed limit you're in big doo doo. Bike and license confiscated etc, big fines and more etc.
    (That could happen accidentally, while overtaking )

Not true?

Bike
    XR650R
    it just fines, demerits till you go over 140kph
    after that you better hope you get lucky and a reasonable cop pulls you over, as they can suspend your license for 28 days on the spot, it's up to the cop wether they seize /impound your bike, and how fast and silly they think you were riding.
    if your inclined to hit the gas and run , and they get your no. plate , they will prosecute you as severely as they can.
    but if they don't catch you , then they still have 6 months to track you down and charge you, after that they're out of luck , and you have gotten away with it !

Bike
    1994 Triumph Trophy 1200
    Yes, I do enjoy exaggerating slightly for dramatic effect.
    I would get at least a 125cc

So yeah. A rather dramatic piece of (serious) advice that I received.

Not that I'm a speedster. I've never exceeded the speed limit intentionally. But these machines can do it quite quickly, then you're like britney spears "Oops, I did it again"

I drove around Wellington, Auckland and the north half of the South Island. I saw the signs with my own eyes.
    If I said something that's not correct, please enlighten me?

Is this just a fantasy joke that you wish was true? What are you actually saying?

No laser?? Oldschool...
    Just staY at home. We have enough of you lot out here moaning during their passage to Aus!

Quote Jan 2020 Posted by Katman

Life would be so much easier if you addressed questions with a simple answer.

Bike
    2015/18 Blade, 81 Katana, KR150R
    I ride a blade and work in Wellington. No point in having such a bike to ride just in town but surely that is true of any first world city (at least where you are not likely to get 'bike jacked'). Bit of a good for SA speed limits gets me

"The general speed limits in terms of the South African National Road Traffic Act, 1989 and its regulations are: 60 km/h on a public road within an urban area. 100 km/h on public road outside an urban area which is not a freeway; and. 120 km/h on freeways."

There are both 70 and 80 km areas (but I am sure that must be the same not everything is 60 or 100/120 in SA). So you have 120 in some areas to compare to 100 (not much in that on a Blade). Realistically everyone is fine at 60 in town (so go wild and ride as you apparently do back home in town).

Sure you could buy a scooter (if you only ride in town why not). If you ride into town expect some serious filtering too (good luck doing 120 in the filter). Manfield is 2 hours ride from Wellington and does regular track days, Taupo is maybe 5.5 hours (another excellent track).

Most of us with such bikes speed a little and take the risk. The details are not hard to find for fines etc.
    https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...30.XOZJmXskFhs

Perhaps do the 5 minutes of research before trolling the locals. And good luck not getting jacked I hear that happens a lot in SA at least you have a fast bike to get up to 60 in town so you can get away.

Thread Information