Thread: New Leather jacket, brands?

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one

New Leather jacket, brands?

Ive realised I really need to replace the leather jacket that Ive had for about 7.5 years.

It was a Qmoto jacket, which, overall, was OK. comfortable, more or less did its job, and was reasonably priced.

Downsides were things like poor single lines of stitching that started giving way a year into its use, around all the velcro tabs, the collar mostly, and Zips for internal pockets and the main zip that required replacement about two years in.

So Im after a new one, Not sure i want to use Qmoto again given all the bits that fell apart quite quickly.

Any suggestions /recommendations on what you're using? Use is mainly for occasional weekend rides, trackdays, and possibly will be used for racing if i ever get the racebike project finished.

I dont want to go to a 1 piece since its annoying on road rides / lunch stops, and I dont want two sets for road / race so Ideally something that covers both, and is leather.

I have 1tonne pants that Ive had about 5-6 years and have been happy with, are their jackets as good?

May buy a set of both top and bottoms if price is right, but dont want to get into the 2k mark for leathers as Ill be wanting boots soon too

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01
    I've never had any strife from my RST and Joe Rocket jackets. I've got a "no-name" 'MIR' branded leather jacket which has been my all year, all weather jacket since 2006. For $300 it's still going strong. So long as you avoid the eBay special race replicas and crap from Alibaba and Wish, you'd probs be alright.

I personally prefer to go for 'brand name' stuff though.

What's your budget?
    2001 Ducati 996S || 2008 Yamaha CygnusX
    FaceBrick

Bike
    Ducati 748R
    I have had my teknic jacket and pants for years 7+ done a fair few kms, definitely a summer jacket with the little holes but with a good clean it would probably look almost new. Has double zips to join top and bottom I don't know if this is standard with a 2 piece but makes me feel safe anyhow.

I got both pieces from sportbiketrackgear.com

Also worth mentioning the rev'it gloves I brought, 2 crashes and still work well.. no tears , stitching all good Velcro good condition these are about the same age, they did cost a small fortune at $300, but would definitely buy more of that brand

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Quote Originally Posted by WALRUS View Post
    I've never had any strife from my RST and Joe Rocket jackets. I've got a "no-name" 'MIR' branded leather jacket which has been my all year, all weather jacket since 2006. For $300 it's still going strong. So long as you avoid the eBay special race replicas and crap from Alibaba and Wish, you'd probs be alright.

I personally prefer to go for 'brand name' stuff though.

What's your budget?
    well up to probably $700 for the jacket. potentially a tad more.

When it comes to stuff that might save my life like riding gear, I also prefer the added assurance that comes with reputable name brand gear.

problem is, its been so damned long since Ive had to buy anything, I dont know who's making good stuff these days

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    Try trademe.
    I bought a set of second hand (only used about twice) IXS leathers for the bargain price of $350. I tried them on (felt like custom made) before confirming the purchase. The jacket alone would have set me back double that in a shop.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    well up to probably $700 for the jacket. potentially a tad more.
    You are looking at good kit for that price, maybe even Spidi. Or Dainese if you bought it from FC Moto or similar.

Put a wanted to buy ad on KB. I have stuff in my wardrobe that magically shrunk - and I don't think I'll be the only one.

That way you could score a top line item for the price of a lesser brand, or a cheaper brand for next to now't .
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WALRUS View Post
    I've never had any strife from my RST...
    2nd that, my rst leather jacket has lasted 2 years of commuting -- raincoat overtop when its raining all good'n

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    What size are you after? Most go by chest size.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    I have one of these - very nice. heavy weight leather, made in NZ (so not Pakistani goat skin) traditional styling. Must be going on 20 years old at least and everything still works well.
    https://plainsleather.co.nz/store/?model_number=APJKMH
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    ES XTZ
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    I have one of these - very nice. heavy weight leather, made in NZ (so not Pakistani goat skin) traditional styling. Must be going on 20 years old at least and everything still works well.
    https://plainsleather.co.nz/store/?model_number=APJKMH
    My first set of leathers are almost the same, ok way back then but not now...they need to change it up with better sizing and fit the straight cut design is outdated uncomfortable and tiring to wear.

Bike
    GN125H 2015
    Take a look at http://www.ficeda.com.au/riding-gear...r-jackets.html those, I know they are on an Aussie Site but I think there is a store in NZ- MOTOLAND, which will be able to get them in. I bought an Ixon Crank leather jacket from them for $512 NZD Which included a solid L1 back protector (this is optional but they threw it in for me) and L2 Armour on shoulders and elbows. The Leather is very very nice. the whole jacket is CE approved including the leather and stitching etc.... I have a card from the place (i bought it at the motorcycle show last year) Send this guy an email ( He was the sales person) anthony@motoland.co.nz and see what the store has in stock, the website is trash. But yeah, would highly reccomend the IXON CRANK jacket, its top notch in terms of protection and looks so damn good. I got it in the brown color but black also looks amazing. (they also have a perforated version- Crank Air, if you needed). Alt I did like the revit Gibson jacket, i tried it on at motomail, its really nice but i preferred the Ixon jacket more. Such a good piece of kit. in terms of sizing, im a small 175cm 62kg dude and I fit a size medium. (~38" chest). But yea give them a call, I hear Segura are a fantastic leather jacket company. They also look very very nice.

Bike
    GN125H 2015
    I swear i sound like an ixon sales rep but I can't recommend them enough. Esp since I was looking for a leather riding jacket last year (my thread is still up here) and I had a whole lot of shit happen (I couldn't find the right size etc.. had a low budget...)

Bike
    2021 ktm duke 390
    Quote Originally Posted by billybob View Post
    Take a look at http://www.ficeda.com.au/riding-gear...r-jackets.html those, I know they are on an Aussie Site but I think there is a store in NZ- MOTOLAND, which will be able to get them in. I bought an Ixon Crank leather jacket from them for $512 NZD Which included a solid L1 back protector (this is optional but they threw it in for me) and L2 Armour on shoulders and elbows. The Leather is very very nice. the whole jacket is CE approved including the leather and stitching etc.... I have a card from the place (i bought it at the motorcycle show last year) Send this guy an email ( He was the sales person) anthony@motoland.co.nz and see what the store has in stock, the website is trash. But yeah, would highly reccomend the IXON CRANK jacket, its top notch in terms of protection and looks so damn good. I got it in the brown color but black also looks amazing. (they also have a perforated version- Crank Air, if you needed). Alt I did like the revit Gibson jacket, i tried it on at motomail, its really nice but i preferred the Ixon jacket more. Such a good piece of kit. in terms of sizing, im a small 175cm 62kg dude and I fit a size medium. (~38" chest). But yea give them a call, I hear Segura are a fantastic leather jacket company. They also look very very nice.
    hey mate.

sorry to bring up and old thread but do you still have this jacket? thinking about getting one myself. Just stuck on sizing.
    What's the fit like?
    Does it still fit? how big are your biceps?

cheers

Thread Information