Thread: 1980 Suzuki TS185ER

Bike
    2015 Yamaha YZF250

1980 Suzuki TS185ER

Hey everyone,

So I recently got my fathers old TS185ER now that I’ve turned 18 and are in the process of "restoring" it. It’s running but not idling that nice and I have a feeling it might be the spark plug but not entirely sure. I’ve cleaned out the carberator but haven’t tried starting it since. Also the seat has some rips in it and was curious if anyone knows where replacement seats or even a service that could fix up the rip.

There’s some photos of the bike before and the progress I’ve made so far

https://imgur.com/gallery/XE9BjxZ

Bike
    suzuki
    it looks to me like you've painted the motor assembled and the swing arm in place. given the extent of external corrosion i'd strongly recommend taking that swingarm out and sorting out the bearings, as they'll cause endless headaches and stripping the motor before it deals to itself and kills itself. and spend a fiver on a new plug too, it's like trying to pick up a chick and being too tight to even buy her a drink.....

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    as above, remove those items like swingarm etc to paint.

these are a really simple bike, stripping it to bare frame is not a difficult task, and tings like bearings will need greased at least, or replaced at worst.
    You'll get a far better finish if you take the extra time.

definitely replace the spark plug, its cheap, and fixes running issues in old 2 strokes a high percentage of the time.

For the seat, any local upholstery place can do this for you, or you can look on Ebay etc, often replacement covers can be found, an are easily fitted with a staple gun and some patience if you don't want to pay.

What youre doing so far by the looks is a quick 'lazy repaint' - if you're going to 'restore' it, you're going to need to strip, clean, assess, replace as necessary and reassemble - you do see the difference in person (and from photos)

Bike
    2015 Yamaha YZF250
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    it looks to me like you've painted the motor assembled and the swing arm in place. given the extent of external corrosion i'd strongly recommend taking that swingarm out.
    I had in mind stripping the whole bike down but my father handed the bike to me with instructions on what he wanted done. More of a clean up than a restore. I'll try convince him to let me completely strip the frame, if not i'll do it anyway cheers

Bike
    2015 Yamaha YZF250
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    What youre doing so far by the looks is a quick 'lazy repaint.'
    I do agree the term restoring was a stretch, I agree it's just a repaint at the moment but after seeing others opinions I might just go with completely stripping it back. The bike did have a few stripped bolts which kinda put him off the idea of doing a full restore. Some heat and elbow grease should do the trick, hopefully.

Appreciate the advice

Thread Information