Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Africa Twin 2016 DCT

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    OK, now my count is up to 4 - thanks for the additional detail.
    I'm not counting post 10 though, because that isn't about the Africa Twin - that is a different model of motorcycle. But there is one that you missed so it is indeed 4 bikes in total.
    But 4 is still a small number, there are so many more on that forum alone that have never had an issue, some with quite a high amount of riding on their DCT.
    Thats 4 that have been reported on one thread. Who knows how many there has been.

All bikes have faults one way or the other. My Prillia is known for valve seat recession and guide wear that can kill the motor, Bandit can blow reg/rec etc.

But none of them can fuck off down the road without rider input. 1 case of that is too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    interesting read about the switch gear, is it possible to lock out the switch gear and leave it in auto-only mode? should you bash it in the middle of no-where could you get the bike home? -- ehh im not in the market anyway, would probably get the manual version just cause its cheaper

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Yes, other than a pointless comparison, you describe the difference between having a short or long fart.
    you stick to your short farts then and i will have my manual transmissions

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    you stick to your short farts then and i will have my manual transmissions
    I have no preference either way in a car - mine is Auto, wives manual, sons manual, daughters auto. All fine cars for their purpose.

Here's some irony - all the top end (and increasing middle range) bikes are being fitted with quick shifters - essentially making them the same as a tiptronic styled car auto. Mrs B had one of them in her Golf (unreliable vehicle that one) after playing with it for kicks it spent 99% of it's time in auto mode.

I read recently that the CB750 Honda of decades back that came out with a auto (a sales failure) is now collectible due to it's rarity. Maybe the DCT African Twin will end up that way....

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    Here's some irony - all the top end (and increasing middle range) bikes are being fitted with quick shifters - essentially making them the same as a tiptronic styled car auto....
    not really, mechanically very different but yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee all petrol bikes will be rarities in decades :P if we are even allowed to use them on public roads

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries

I read recently that the CB750 Honda of decades back that came out with a auto (a sales failure) is now collectible due to it's rarity. Maybe the DCT African Twin will end up that way....
    Bear in mind the NC bikes have been available with DCT transmissions since 2012, no major issues I can remember reading about and seem to be loved by their owners, they even pop up here as used imports occasionally.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Shes in da Shed!
    Cheers all, I've enjoyed reading your thoughts and opinions.
    Haven't got a bad word to say about her, so far, loves the highway and does everything so smoothly, reading to do for the next day or 2 before attempting any major changes.
    New screen, new 56 Litre Givi top box, full tank of gas, good sales and service a throuoghly deserved shout out to Matthew and Richard at Botony Honda.
    Nonda rider, who'da thought it!
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Noice. Gis a go?
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike

Blah

Hold on young fella, let me give you a hand UP!
    Well, I bought it!
    On a regular SATNR (LOOK IT UP! South Auckland Thursday Night Rideers) Ride last night, I did about 140 K's (OK, it was 141) ended up at da Muddy in Mercer (too dear that place, us bikers are poor you know)
    So a bit of a ride report, first ride of any consequence that is.
    Once I was shown (imagine my chargin, when shown how to mount a big ol traily type bike) Step right up, left foot on left peg, raise body upwards, swing crooked leg over and whalla! yer on board. Drop into most comfortable seat eva, put footsies on the ground, yep at a shrinking 174 (used to be 178) CM's even I can get both feet on the ground aboard this beast of a bike.
    So, we're on board, turn key, wait for diagnstics and electronics to do their thing, push down on what is also the Kill Switch, and hey presto she starts.
    Do usual checks, lights on, helmet done up! ( quite important), gloves on, side stand up, Auto or Manual Selected, this time it was Auto, (OK, for the uniniated) The Honda Africa twin in DCT (Dual Clutch transmission) can be ridden using the left hand up and down toggles/paddles.
    Or after selecting Manual or Auto on the r/h side,auto this time aye,by simply twisting the throttle and beginning to move off.
    Once on the move you can also select Drive, or Sport in Auto mode, Sport significantly increaes the hold time on each gear and makes the Twin a very responsive Big Bird.(Just coined her name) Condor! Sport also has 3 distinct levels of hold or rev range increments.
    Alrighty, so we've begun to ride this beast, she pulls away from as little as 40 K's per hour without hesitation (once shes got a bit warmed up), from 1st to 6th doesn't take that long and once up there if you need to , you can use the left side paddles to go up or down, the amazing thing is, you don't often have to! approaching potential slowing spots, she changes very nicely and smoothly down until your speed and the gears match.
    The Twin has Traction Control and there are three levels of it, another button I want to get to know, she also has a big button with G on it, apparfently when you ride onto a gravel/dirt/metal road, you hit this button and all inputs and responses (throttle, brake , etc) sharpen the hell up, cool aye.
    There is yet another button by the Big G, it's ABS and again if on metal you can literally turn off the rear ABS function, it and the front usually operate as a cohesive unit, to stop idjits from going over the bars, but when you turn it off on metal it allows your balls to grow and lets you throw the rear end in backwards like a proper dirt rider!
    Enough of the technicalities, theres lots more of them, but for now, the Glen Murray, Naike road is a good test of any bike, corners, cambers, drop offs, a few straights ( don't need too many of these ) but most of all some challening series of corners at varying angles of attack and altitude, make for some fun riding without being overly rapid.
    I was, as always TEC on our rides, so was following a bunch of good old boys (OK,Eldoggy isn't that old! But OLDGUY, IS! and as for Leathel, well) and I had absolutely no trouble keeping station with my lads, in any corner at any speed (no,,not warp nine Cap'n), that big front wheel, just turns you in nice and solid on those Conti's and well, the rear goes where I tell it, comfort level is out of this world on road, long legs and plenty of settings for both shock and rebound mean you should hardly ever feel a real bump on a sealed road. Which I can attest too after last night.
    Gear changes??? wha? , no don't need em, this machine almost knows when you're going to change up or down, it's uncanny, I know this isn't yet a leaqrning box, but you'd swear after just half an hour or so of riding it that , IT knows your gear requirements better than you do.
    Did I miss not changing gears, in a word NO.
    Watching the road ahead, keeping within sight of the lads and enjoying the ride really does become So Much easier.
    Riding position is far better than on the ol Bandy (Don't be fooled, I already miss her, but this machine, is on another level) no sore back just under the right shoulder balde from leaning and hunching, no more pins and needles in the throttle hand, looking straight ahead without having to Hold yer head up, the bigger screen (Botany added a smoked slightly bigger screen to this bike for me) and it stopped all the wind buffetting I did experience on the first ride, made such a difference it was astounding just how much better the whole ride experience became.
    LED Lights! Oh, but first, on all the time indicators,side/riding lights, front and rear, wow, you are seen from afar, no question. The headlight/s, I had thought I'd put some bloody Big powerful LED spot on the engine bars up fornt, don't need too!
    The exiting LED headlight/s are amazing, plenty of side light when turning, you can actually see into the corner,they go that far out, they also go along way out front, even on low, not getting spots now, perhaps just 2 small LEDs, to give a distinct 3 light appearance from front on. This makes a motorcycle look like something much bulkier and gives other road users a bit more to acknowledge.
    Going to be out as much as I can for the foreseeable future, ride on you ugly mofudders.

Bike
    VT1100C 1993 /DRZ400E
    You could not hide the fact you liked the bike.... you were beaming Caseye. Nice bike, and yes those lights stand out

If you need a hand with bag frames give me a call

Bike
    Motuoapa Holiday Park, naturally at Motuoapa Bay Lake Taupo, what a brilliant place.
    Made a booking here on Friday night,, meeting up with a mate on his newly acquired Bandit , coming back up from Christchurch, problem was on Saturday morning when I got his txt to say, "Bandy back at the shop, in ChCh, flying home, sorry"), first thought was, bugger cancel booking. To find it was non refundable, look out for this with booking.com.
    Well, wifey and I thought about this, for about 2 seconds, went anyway!
    Glad we did, Pizza on the deck outside our own boat shed, nice wine and one or 2 beers to go, what a way to spend an afternoon, coupled with a nice walk around what I believe is the only free standing marina on Lake Taupo, besides what is in Taupo itself. Setting sun between the island out front and the foothills of 3 big bloody mountains a little further south of us.
    Meet a good bugger called John, na fair dinkim, he was bloody great for an Ozzie, knew his way around one of our whole plate barbies.
    Got talking to a young POMME who was here because his kids (four of em, all been to NZ) said he should, been here 6 days, going to apply for residency before he heads home, these 2 completely different characters were both bloody good sorts and genuinely can't believe what surrounds us and how we seemingly take it all for granted.
    Anyhow, back to the Twin, threw a full tank of gas at her, couldn't make her take more than 5 litres of juice, this mean't our Thursday night ride had averaged 4.6 K's per 100 K's, OK, thats what the trippy comp thing said, checked it again yesterday, when we gassed up in Turangi after having travelled over 330K's to get there and both bikes (Twin and M50 Boulé) had 4 + litres left in the tank still. (Twin has a stated capacity of 18.8 litres, 2019 ones have 24, Dont Knead it!)
    I used mostly D, but on occassion changed to S for a bit of a laugh, well, did I laugh, in S mode this normally placid Africa Twin, becomes a bloody monster ( a still miserely , monster) what eats K's like they was lollies, emits nect to no carbon emmissions and still performs like a scalded cat!
    The further I ride this machine, the more becomes apparent.
    She's been out 4 times now, different roads, different types of road, conditions and riding groups/ styles, so far the average is 4.8litres per 100 K's no matter the setting, terrain or speed travelled at. By the way, anyone who thinks these machines can't get up and boggie, seriously need to get a life, switch it, or simply manually change down a cog and I kid you not, it's hold on for launch time!
    Yes, placid around town riding does mean you gotta use da paddles from time tom time to get you honking a bit faster, they're not a learning ECU, you gotta tell it what you want, but once you get the hang of it all, it's effortless, seriously, no thought required, if you know what gear you should be in, it's likely to already be there,if it's not, use the F,ing paddles. You can you know, whatever mode you are in the paddeles work, in D or S once you've overridden the box, it stays in the selected gear for a bit then chages back to auto,D/S mode, this also requires no real thought.
    Slowed to check on a couple fo stopped bikes on the way back today, both times the look on their faces when they realised I wasn't changing gears, using a clutch or a gear lever was priceless.
    Also stopped for a classic race bred 4 wheeler car, beautiful British Racing Green, two occupants, husband and wife I presumed (British you know) their radiator had packed a sad half was up the last hill before the flats heading into Taupo from south, they'd already called the AA, I hope their Mota was OK, still they were both surprised to see a motorcyclist who had turned back to go to them, stop and ask the question and happy, made my day too, I wasn't broke down an they were Ok.
    Found some road works with a bit of metal here and there, rode into it and through it, just checking aye, yes she does feel stable and well footed in the loose stuff, wifey was giving that shit a real wide berth, she and the Boule, don't like that stuff.
    Big bumps and rough stuff, don't faze this machine, long legs and good suspenders mean she soaks em all up, big ones still make their presence felt, but it's felt, not shaken to the core.
    We've had 2 glorious days of riding weather, wifey's got some serious saddle time and is far better for it and I'm getting to know my new motorcycle very well thank you very much.
    She does give me 350K's before the yellow warning light comes on( The last of 5 bars disappears and the yellow light comes up on the dash, Matt reckons from here you've still got at least another 50-60 K's ,I belive him , cheers Matt, spot on matey.
    Even out ran the Boule, she coughed as we were going down the dip before heading up the rise into the Bombays BP. Got her there, but hell, even she'd just done Turangi, Rotorua, Te Poi (Lunch here, all you hariy arsed bikers better stop there aye, great food, good company and biker welcoming patrons), Matamata, Morrinsville, Dorkland, for the Twin 356 K's to the bombays BP from Turangi, with still about 3-4 Litres in the tank, the most venerable and reliable (usually) boulé got 331 ( She hadn't gorn back into Turangi for supplies like me an da Twin) and had a road side coughing fit before beinig pointed up hill ad receiving the last cup full, that got her to the BP.
    Messagre, Go out and buy em all!, Africa twins I mean.
    Comfortable, ride forever, smooth, Oh so, smooth, greaqt legs , all day and plenty when you want it,plus, if you get the urge you can simply turn up that metal road.
    Big box (Givi Maxxia 56, it treally does hold 2 full size helmets), back pack if required, still working on rack system for the soft luggage, but once done I will be able to carry enough gear, a tent and spares for Africa, scuse the pun.
    Home for about 6 hours now, both bikes gased up, washed, blow dried, polished and put to bed, ready for Tuesday night with the good ol Assassins (South Auckland Street Skills, guys and girls, some of whom, are coming out of retirement for this nights ride). Then on to Thursday night for another go with the South Auckland Thursday Night Riders (SATNR) guys and girls, a long time group that hovers on the verge of extinction occassionally but always bounces back with additions most months, we boast about 6-10 regulars these days, so feel free, not too fast, not too slow, lead and TEC'd by good buggers who give a damn and the nights always a bit of fun.
    So far this 2016 Africa Twin is living up to her legendary name, honest, hard working, reliable and sooooo mch fun when you want it.
    The best part, shes mine.
    Da Dragon (me mom) is back on my bike, the plate, is back on my bike, I'm back on my bike and loving it.
    A few bits required to make her betterer, hand guard extensions, centre stand, probably new racks, that will take hard luggage, or let me throw the softies over, a matter of keeping pipe side off pipe and other side out of spokes.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    sounds good i am seriously considering one too,350 k range is enough for me the new one will almost match the old r100gspd!I will try one this weekend!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    sounds good i am seriously considering one too,350 k range is enough for me the new one will almost match the old r100gspd!I will try one this weekend!
    Out again tonight with some of the old hands from SASS, the Wednesday Night assasins, Na South Auckland Street Skills group, great time had by all, Twin had lots new bums on her seat tonight, some surpirses when thery could actually touch tera firma with both feet.
    Go on, really give it a go, I reckon you'll buy it.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Are we going to see any shenanigans?

This, and the rest of their AT inclusive videos are worth a watch. Enjoy the new steed.

Manopausal.

Bike
    Honda vt250 spada
    Shit man, my old 250 spada returns similar fuel figures!!

Thread Information