Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Africa Twin 2016 DCT

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!

Africa Twin 2016 DCT

OK, KBérs, I'm seriously looking at one of these,ridden a lot of bikes these last couple of years, only the Scout and this have come close.
    First up, does anyone have experience of this particular motorcycle, good, bad, the ugly.
    It's done less than 10 K had 1 owner and rides awesome.
    Opinions/arseholes, please.
    Go!
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Sounds to me like you have already made up your mind! Oh and if you are doing a trip up north, can I have a test ride too? Leaning that way myself now.
    Recently met the co-ordinator of the Canterbury Ulysses in Geraldine, we were both on our ways back home and he rides a DCT and loves it. Him and his bro were doing the rough roads with it too!
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    good, bad, the ugly.
    rides awesome.
    Go!
    You got one of those covered
    true, you do.
    take your pick
    c u

btw ask old guy he is sure to have ridden it.

sounds like you already think it’s a good idea, why not give it a whirl.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    It's a Honda. It will go forever.

Bike
    2017 Triumph Tiger XCA
    Very heavy to pick up off a back-country gravel road...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johcar View Post
    Very heavy to pick up off a back-country gravel road...
    No different to the other big bore members of the adventure fraternity.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    honestly i just cant see the advantages of an auto trans m bike.Changing gear and clutch operation is just so easy compared to a car.Perhaps the ONLY advantage i can see if you lived in a place where the motorways resembled car parks,not roads.

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    in super tight rutty stuff, anti-stall / auto low drive is a godsend but yeah horses for courses --- I like the challenge of keeping the bike going in such situations with manual clutch/gearing that's where the fun of traversing that terrain is. But can see the merits of being able to solely focus on the ride with less fatigue on the body

rekluse clutch in an old RM250 was a pretty fun experience trail riding

Bike
    Old Bikes
    Track down the Adventure Rider Radio podcast. There’s a recent episode on clutches generally including a chat with a bloke that is ex-Honda engineer retired and rides a DCT Africa Twin. Has heaps of helpful pros and cons.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubbo View Post
    in super tight rutty stuff, anti-stall / auto low drive is a godsend but yeah horses for courses --- I like the challenge of keeping the bike going in such situations with manual clutch/gearing that's where the fun of traversing that terrain is. But can see the merits of being able to solely focus on the ride with less fatigue on the body

rekluse clutch in an old RM250 was a pretty fun experience trail riding
    With DCT and Rekluse, what happens when you get the knickers in a twist on a steep hill, need to stall, and clutch the bike back down?

Er, I would try very hard to avoid this situation on a behemoth....... Just wondering.
    Last edited by george formby; 17th February 2019 at 11:33. Reason: Proof of sanity.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    honestly i just cant see the advantages of an auto trans m bike.Changing gear and clutch operation is just so easy compared to a car.Perhaps the ONLY advantage i can see if you lived in a place where the motorways resembled car parks,not roads.
    Hows a car any more difficult? You still use one hand and one foot, they are just reversed re clutch and gear changing. The reason cars are all going auto is the autos are now so bloody good that a manual gearbox is almost pointless.

Bike
    Old Bikes
    With DCT and Rekluse, what happens when you get the knickers in a twist on a steep hill, need to stall, and clutch the bike back down?
    On the DCT Africa Twins there's a park brake lever where the clutch normally is. It operates by cable onto the rear disk through a seperate set of calipers. Has to be this way because as soon as you stall the bike you lose hydraulic pressure and the clutch won't work.

So you don't clutch the bike back down. You park brake it down. Same same.

With a Rekluse clutch as soon as you stall the bike the Rekluse pack in the clutch stops spinning and bites. After that it's same as a normal clutch. You just feather it backwards.

One disadvantage of the DCT is that you can't bump start the bike. Without the engine running there is no hydraulic pressure and the clutch doesn't bite. It requires positive hydraulic pressure to disengage or engage. Default position is clutch engaged ( ie no drive).

DCT seems to require a bit of a re-think on how you ride, but the advantages are there.

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Go!
    Get one!

I've just spend 23 days (over 5,000 km) on mine and it has been great!
    I'm still sorting pics & vids from my phone, action camera and drone - but I've now got some stuff uploaded.

No problem riding a bike like this on sealed roads, gravel or easy off-road. For anything really challenging you would be better off with a lighter bike rather than a large adventure bike.

For a long trip, it makes a decent pack mule:

Which is really useful if you are on a camping trip for over 3 weeks!

I'm primarily using mine as an adventure tourer for travelling NZ, going wherever I like whether the roads are sealed or gravel. I think the bike is really fantastic in this role, I prefer it to my previous bikes (Honda ST1300 & DR650) as it performs better on the road than the DR650 did and a LOT better on gravel than the ST1300. I have swapped to tyres more suited to varied terrain as the factory tyres being 90/10 (road/off-road) were not all that confidence inspiring on the gravel.

If you did manage to drop the bike then it is a LOT easier to pick up with another person helping. It weighs a good 100kg more than my DR650 did, partly being a heavier bike and partly because I'm loading it up more. It is way more powerful at open road speeds though, making overtaking much easier.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    Blog Entries
    WTF's with your tent! I'd be buying a proper one

Bike
    1994 Triumph Trophy 1200
    OK, KBérs, I'm seriously looking at one of these,ridden a lot of bikes these last couple of years, only the Scout and this have come close.
    First up, does anyone have experience of this particular motorcycle, good, bad, the ugly.
    It's done less than 10 K had 1 owner and rides awesome.
    Go!
    Whats wrong with an old yammie?

Quote Jan 2020 Posted by Katman

Life would be so much easier if you addressed questions with a simple answer.

Thread Information