Thread: Which bike do i buy

Bike
    undecided

Which bike do i buy

Hi, I am a first time biker in NZ. I want to buy a bike to travel to work from Albany to Henderson for now. On my current budget I am thinking between Aprilla 150 and Honda Shadow 150. I am 49 but my 14 year old son wants me to pick the Aprilla ( you can guess why). Please let me know which is the better one as I want to use it only for a couple of years
    Thanks

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen1 View Post
    Hi, I am a first time biker in NZ. I want to buy a bike to travel to work from Albany to Henderson for now. On my current budget I am thinking between Aprilla 150 and Honda Shadow 150. I am 49 but my 14 year old son wants me to pick the Aprilla ( you can guess why). Please let me know which is the better one as I want to use it only for a couple of years
    Thanks
    GN250
    Cheap as chips and cost nothing to run and your kid won't want to nick it from you.
    Lets go Brandon

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    If you are wanting to ride on the motorways, do yourself a favour and get something bigger, capable of accelerating to at least the speed limit. You should try and hire a bike for a week to see if that is what you really want?
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    TF125
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...2288456e91e62e

Take out some life insurance too. Auckland drivers suck.

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...2288456e91e62e

Take out some life insurance too. New Zealand drivers suck.
    Fixed for accuracy
    Lets go Brandon

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    Fixed for accuracy
    Yep, 49% of drivers here think they're above average.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    SuperScooter 2010
    The Aprilia, if the 150 you refer to is an ETX or a STX, is actually a Chinese bike, a Zhongshen. They manufacture some of Piaggio's products and have and an agreement to use the Italian company's brand names on some of their own design bikes. Be aware these relatively cheap small motorcycles mostly use tubed tyres which can deflate suddenly if punctured and the tyre can then come off the rim, much safer to have tubeless tyres. Have you considered some of the 150 scooters which are easier to ride in heavy traffic, have loads of storage space and tubeless tyres?

For example...

https://www.cyclespot.co.nz/bike/Pia...0150/999464900
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...1713142196.htm (has ABS)

I guess it depends on your budget and those listings are for new bikes but you could probably pick up a 2nd hand Fly for the price of Shadow 150.

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    this, get a top box, sorted.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubbo View Post
    this, get a top box, sorted.
    I hate top boxes. Look at that abomination pictured in the current photo of the week. Ugly as sin.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zipper2T View Post
    The Aprilia, if the 150 you refer to is an ETX or a STX, is actually a Chinese bike, a Zhongshen. They manufacture some of Piaggio's products and have and an agreement to use the Italian company's brand names on some of their own design bikes. Be aware these relatively cheap small motorcycles mostly use tubed tyres which can deflate suddenly if punctured and the tyre can then come off the rim, much safer to have tubeless tyres. Have you considered some of the 150 scooters which are easier to ride in heavy traffic, have loads of storage space and tubeless tyres?

For example...

https://www.cyclespot.co.nz/bike/Pia...0150/999464900
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...1713142196.htm (has ABS)

I guess it depends on your budget and those listings are for new bikes but you could probably pick up a 2nd hand Fly for the price of Shadow 150.
    A sudden deflation when punctured? Whoda thunk it? Best go for solid rubber wheels.

On a more relevant note. A decent capacity scooter is an option worth considering for commuting, it's what they are designed for. If it tickles your fancy OP, have a look at some of the bigger capacity scoots capable of holding their own in traffic.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    I hate top boxes. Look at that abomination pictured in the current photo of the week. Ugly as sin.
    for commuting they are the biz tho!!!

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post

Just checked out POTW.. Such a shame, if it was on a GS Adventure, V-Strom, Tiger etc.. Sure, go for it! Looks a bit out of place on one of those, though. Perhaps just a Ventura rack and some soft panniers? That said, there was someone back in Tassie selling a '99 748 with a Ventura rack on it and while I give them full props for using their old Duc' and being confident enough to travel and tour on it, the rack just looked weird on the back of one of those!
    2001 Ducati 996S || 2008 Yamaha CygnusX
    FaceBrick

Thread Information