Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cicadas make as much noise as motorcycles

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Tuono Factory
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Why do they like kiwifruit? They dont eat. Just breed and die,

Wifey tells me ours are 7 year cycle .
    I thought NZ circadas were 13 or 17 year cycles but I have no idea why I thought that. They are usually prime number years though as it lessens their probability of meeting up with their predators, whatever they might be.

Cheers

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by actungbaby View Post
    Yeah isint mating call. Its there wings. I remember as a kid.watching tv on ate old black white tv, and them flying in through window, well like two of them. Had pick up by wings. Didint enjoy that much. We lived on eastern foot hills hutt Valley.
    Had bush reserve at back house.
    What a racket.

Sent from my SOV31 using Tapatalk
    Crickets make sound by rubbing their wings together (not its legs!), and cicadas have a special organ called a tymbal that produces sound. The tymbal contains a series of ribs that buckle one after the other when the cicada flexes its muscles. Every time a rib buckles, the rib produces a click.[3] Many clicks produce a buzzing sound. The action is like how a bendy straw makes sound: pulling and pushing the ribs of the bendy straw together makes a series of clicks. If you could push, pull, and twist a bendy straw hundreds of times a second the sound of the clicks would be so close together that you'd only hear a buzzing sound: this is how fast the cicada is able to vibrate its tymbal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmik de Bris View Post
    I thought NZ circadas were 13 or 17 year cycles but I have no idea why I thought that. They are usually prime number years though as it lessens their probability of meeting up with their predators, whatever they might be.

Cheers
    I think they live underground for most of their life as lavae.
    What i jut read seems to agree with your 17 years. but its species dependent 2-17 years.
    It seems they live in grow up an dine as lavea on certain trees, this might explain there always seeming to be in one place year after year.
    https://animals.howstuffworks.com/in...uestion733.htm
    But the racket it is a mating call.
    https://animals.howstuffworks.com/in...uestion733.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    I have tinitus. Cicadas all year round for me!
    Ha ha. Me too. Thanks to having a noisy helmet for a few years. Use ear plugs now but too late.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Stayed at Picton Top Ten camping ground two years ago and the cicadas were phenomenal. In the photo, each bump on the power line is a cicada. One managed to get into our unit and stayed hidden until 1am when it started doing it's thing. I don't mind bugs at all but when I went out for a pee at 2am, the toilet door in the ablutions blocked was covered in cicadas ... probably up to 100. I didn't fancy disturbing them and having them swarm me so finished up behind a tree instead.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5020.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	402.0 KB 
ID:	341087  
    Grow older but never grow up

Thread Information