Thread: Ambitious newbie/do I lost my mind?

Bike
    BMW R1200GS '06

Ambitious newbie/do I lost my mind?

Firstly hi for all bikers who riding on NZ beautiful roads even on this forum or not. I'm a "returner" to biking after 25 years, so I can call myself a newbie rather. Possibly this is the reason why I choose a bike from the era when I left the two wheeler world behind. So I'm a proud owner of a Yamaha XV500. Probably the only one in NZ. If that is not enough, I have no motorcycle licence either. I know CBTA course and so on. So probably a few months before I really can say: I'm back. Anyway I was wondering if I'm alone with the crazy idea to keep a semi classic bike alive rather than let it rot? Is there any place where I should find like-minded people? Sure I will spend more and more time on this forum, as I found lots of interesting reading already. So for now I would be grateful for some feedback about my "first bike" choice.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Fairly unusual approach to getting back into it!

If you find a place IRL where bikers meet to sort semi-classic rides then let the rest of us know... so far all I've found is a paradigm of working on rides alone or with immediate friends in suburbia but talking about it via the internet.

Keeping an older bike alive is something that's got a surprising amount of interest, it's just that you'll only see it publicly at the bike shows or the country pubs where bikers drop in. Polished Rockers is happening this weekend for example, should be a good show.

As to getting into riding again, the usual list applies... get your license, do the training (Ride Forever is absolutely worth doing), get good gear and all of it, take it super easy at first. Fresh tyres are good too.

Bike
    1979, Yamaha XS1100F

Me Too!

Well I'm about to take the exact same approach!
    It's actually been decades since I was into riding and I've been contemplating life and so many other things lately including my love of motorbikes, particularly the older classics. So, I've done something about it - I bought a beautiful 1979 XS ELEVEN.
    She's fantastic but now I've got to get my license back and get into riding so that I can work my way back up to the 1100cc.
    I don't even own any riding gear anymore and even if I did it wouldn't fit my expanding girth!

Bike
    BMW R1200GS '06
    Pheh... Thanks for sharing your story, it means I'm not completely drifted out from reality. So a quick update on my journey, I finally got the bike back on the road, "new" crankshaft, bearings, con rods, small repairs, carbs has been cleaned. Compliance inspection, WOF, rego plus a nice "L" plate. Also I have my learner license in hand, so all I need a bit drier weather... "Ride forever" course is booked as well... Just a quick note, the traffic changed in the past few decades a lot, also quite different from two wheels so I really need to adopt to the current situation. I'm on it. Is your bike is ready to go? That is really a nice one. I think I'll be fine with the 500 for a while , it is pretty much enough to do"Recreational commuting". That is my style if it is existing, if not I will create it. Anyway, good luck to your returning.

Bike
    1979, Yamaha XS1100F
    Yeah, I know what you mean about the road users of today!
    Anyway, Yes the XS is mostly ready for the road although it needs registration and new plates. Already passed compliance and WOF. I had it transported up from Christchurch, arrived 2 days ago. Runs well!

So now the process of the license etc. Got BHST next weekend so that I can resit my license. Of course, they want a medical cert. WTF?
    As far as getting new gear goes, I have ordered a new Shark EVO ONE 2 Lithion Helmet ($700+). No point skimping on safety, eh? Now I'm on the look out for new jacket and boots etc.

In answer to your original question, "Yes! We probably have lost our minds but its beginning to feel pretty good!"

"What's the worst that can happen?"

Bike
    BMW R1200GS '06
    Very nice, do you have learner bike as well? I don't think your XS is on the lams list... bugger. You all right with the safety gears, I just picking up my new helmet today.. took me a while to choose, but I think it will be fine. LS2 Valiant... then appropriate clothing and so on... who the hell said riding is cheaper than a car.... however, lot more fun isn't it.

Bike
    1979, Yamaha XS1100F

Gidday again

So how has it all gone over the last few months?
    I've picked up a cheap XJ550 that is LAMS approved. I haven't got it on the road yet cos I've spent the last 3 - 4 months away working. Back now and have taken the Eleven out for a few rides.
    It's running beautifully but as you know I have got a current license for the 1100 so I'm back to work on the 550. I've redone the float bowls etc on the carbs and now have to give it an oil and filter change but I've gotta get passed the 4-into-1 headers to get the filter off so hopefully I'll find time to get into it this week.
    "What's the worst that can happen?"

Thread Information