Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cant get it outta my head

Bike
    2008 ducati 848

cant get it outta my head

When I was new to motorcycles (very early 70's ) I used to buy Cycle and Cycle world magazines. One issue has stayed in my head for ever, it was a road test of a 750 Norton commando roadster (yellow). One image that influenced me was where the tester stopped for a rest in the Californian country side under a huge tree with this beautiful bike (have searched for this picture online with no success). It was a scene of a perfect day, the closest I came to owning a Commando was choosing between a brand new Mach IV or the commando , the thrill of the crazy two stroke won me over , but will never forget that image, still hanker for a yellow commando roadster but must have those whistling mufflers.
    to be old and wise you must first be young and stupid
    I do have a purpose in life , Even if it is as a warning to others

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Tuono Factory
    Quote Originally Posted by tanken2 View Post
    When I was new to motorcycles (very early 70's ) I used to buy Cycle and Cycle world magazines. One issue has stayed in my head for ever, it was a road test of a 750 Norton commando roadster (yellow). One image that influenced me was where the tester stopped for a rest in the Californian country side under a huge tree with this beautiful bike (have searched for this picture online with no success). It was a scene of a perfect day, the closest I came to owning a Commando was choosing between a brand new Mach IV or the commando , the thrill of the crazy two stroke won me over , but will never forget that image, still hanker for a yellow commando roadster but must have those whistling mufflers.
    Funny, I had the same decision to make and went with the Mach IV. I liked the Commando but the isolastic (????) engine suspension made my eyeballs bounce up and down in the socket when it was idling.

Cheers

Bike
    2008 ducati 848
    pics of the bike I fell in love with but never owned
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	norton 2.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	341054   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	norton.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	341055  

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    What's it worth to you?

Cycle World has archived all its magazines and it just costs a subscription to see them all http://covertocover.cycleworld.com/join/

There doesn't seem to be anything similar for Cycle which was taken over by the company that owned Cycle World in the 90's.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    oooh the Norton Girls. Vivienne Neves was the original and the best, but i wouldn't say no to any of them
    https://www.pinterest.nz/andovernorton/norton-girls/
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Ah memories. The title of your thread immediately remindeed me of a old ELO song. A goodie as well.

I had been a very long time Cycle World magazine subscriber, until a month back when I cancelled the subscription. The monthly mags are now quarterly, cost the same, content is similar (print and mag is improved) and just not worth the same value. Sadly this is happening across the USA with massive falling paper magazine sales. A shame.

Oh and the Norton. When I was a young chap, a man down the road had a yellow fastback with a black 2-1 exhaust. Sounded fantastic.

Bike
    husaberg
    A lot of that sort of thing is here but not that
    http://www.yeoldecycleshoppe.com/roa...ategory=Norton
    If you know what year it was buy the mag on Ebay.
    Here is a much better bike under a tree take a closer look at the hand whats up with that.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ea03b71ba9ed68f0f64a3886131be0cb.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	423.5 KB 
ID:	341064
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    2008 ducati 848
    Quote Originally Posted by merv View Post
    What's it worth to you?

Cycle World has archived all its magazines and it just costs a subscription to see them all http://covertocover.cycleworld.com/join/

There doesn't seem to be anything similar for Cycle which was taken over by the company that owned Cycle World in the 90's.
    have the subscription , alas not there . maybe in Cycle mag

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I don't know which Norton lass would have most regretted that. The Rideability girl would have had to live that down. But think of the Freedom one with the big hair and clown handlebars.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Sometimes I take mine into the city office.
    Isolastics make for a smooth ride, riding position does not lend itself to high speed.

Name:	IMG_2395 (3).jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	804.4 KB 
ID:	341074

Name:	IMG_2392.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	807.1 KB 
ID:	341073  
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    2008 ducati 848
    closest I can find is Motor cycle world magazine march 1973. cannot see if it is the article in question though. It is a yellow roadster .

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Gotta say that looks fantastic Voltaire.

Mind you having ridden neither but being young (cough) and biased for RingDings I'd grab the chance for the H2 first. Actually I know someone with one but I'm not asking.

Bike
    2008 ducati 848
    Actually I loved most of the many bikes I have owned and the Kawasaki triples rank up there. But if I could have any of those bikes back it would be the Honda VFR1000R. Other than the weight it was way ahead of its time.

Name:	11 Honda_1987_VF1000R_NZ[1].jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	341093  

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I'm way ahead of my time. Most people don't get cantankerous til they're in their 60s.

Bike
    husaberg
    when i was new to motorcycles (very early 70's ) i used to buy cycle and cycle world magazines. One issue has stayed in my head for ever, it was a road test of a 750 norton commando roadster (yellow). One image that influenced me was where the tester stopped for a rest in the californian country side under a huge tree with this beautiful bike (have searched for this picture online with no success). It was a scene of a perfect day, the closest i came to owning a commando was choosing between a brand new mach iv or the commando , the thrill of the crazy two stroke won me over , but will never forget that image, still hanker for a yellow commando roadster but must have those whistling mufflers.
    march 1973 motor cycle world

Name:	4e3b371e0393cc30ea9ff85270c0c1cb.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	341134
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Thread Information